Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho Turkeys

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho Turkeys

Postby hobbes » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been researching Norther Idaho (Panhandle) turkey hunting. Is anyone here familiar with the region near where I-90 crosses through Idaho? From the limited amount of info I can find online it appears that the majority of birds are located on private land. Are there sufficient numbers of birds available on public land in the "general" hunt area to provide a good hunt? I will already be hunting NW Montana some, so its a short drive from there to Idaho.
hobbes

Re: Idaho Turkeys

Postby Freebird134 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I used to do really well on turkeys in unit 8 around Moscow when I was in college. Lots of farm land, and farmers usually said "yes" if you asked. But there were common on National Forest land too. Lots of logging roads to run and gun. Of course, that was 10 years ago... god I"m getting old.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby hobbes » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the info. College is approaching 20 "years ago" for me, so you don't sound old to me.
hobbes

Postby Freebird134 » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

PM me if you decide to go down there and I'll happily mark up a map with my old turkey spots to the East of Moscow.

Go Vandals.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Haulin'Quarters » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

hobbes..............I live up here in the Panhandle and there are a lot of turkeys. You are correct about lots of private land but would be surprised how many people will let you hunt ( them yard chickens). There is quite a bit of pressure from locals on public ground but the majority of these guys will just shoot one off the side of the road instead of actually hunting for them. There are plenty of acres of public ground to find em' especially if you find something bordering private land works pretty well.
Haulin'Quarters

Postby hobbes » 02 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the info. I'm still familiarizing myself with the Idaho and how it relates to Missoula. I'd be driving from Helen, so crossing through Missoula. It looks like HWY 12 over LOLO pass puts me into turkey country between Orofino and Moscow also. I've ordered FS maps for northern ID and Western MT.

I hunted Eastern MT last season. I found birds, but not the numbers I expected to find. They've had a tough go of it the last few years with cold wet springs. I'm still going to hunt Eastern MT, but thought I'd make it over to Western MT this year also. It will be like hunting two different states. I'd love to hop over to ID and hunt also. If I could get that figured out in the next season or two, I'd have to add Oregon or Washington as well.
hobbes

Postby MTLongdraw » 03 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Hobbes,
If you're already in MT check out the Plains/Thompson Falls area. Used to burn up there with the FS and there were turkeys all over. I've never hunted it myself but I know they're there. Plenty of FS land.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty