Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New turkey hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New turkey hunter

Postby trapperjay » 03 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello, I'm new here, looks like a nice forum.

I would like to get started in turkey hunting but di not know where to begin. I live in Arkansas and where I deer hunt, I see quite a few turkeys each fall. Where should I start?
trapperjay

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Turner

Re: New turkey hunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Hey Jason, welcome aboard! Turkey hunting styles can vary across the board. I hunt hem here in Idaho as a runner & gunner but blinds & decoys can be effective if that's ones style. One of my favorite methods for finding turkeys to hunt is to get to an area 1 hour or so before daylight & drive dirt roads, I stop every 1/2 mile or so & give a high pitched scream with a mouth reed that sounds like a location bugle. In most cases if there are turkeys within earshot the gobblers will gobble it. Once I find them I move in their direction & wait for them to get out of the trees & land. You have to be careful to stay back enough that they don't see you approach or they'll fly the other way. Once on the ground I will yelp or cluck to get their location & direction of movement.

Sometimes they come towards us & sometimes they do not. When they come & we can tell by their calling getting closer we setup. If moving away we go around them & get in front of them for an ambush.

We use this style mainly because it's very mountainous here, no flat farm type country! It works pretty good! Hopefully others can share their styles, hopefully one will fit your area?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

New turkey hunter

Postby RockChucker30 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'll echo Elknut. I am trying to get one with the recurve this year so I'm in a blind more than normal. When gun hunting I run and gun but also stalk a lot.

If a bird is gobbling and you can figure out where he is he is likely killable, at least in my area because there are riverbanks, hills, and broken fields and it is easy to get in on a bird or get ahead of him, IF I can tell where he is.

I killed one Saturday after covering probably five miles and trying to get on three or four different birds, then got on a flock of six hens and two jakes. I figured there was a bigger gobbler somewhere nearby that I couldn't see, so I stuck it out. That flock eventually saw me but couldn't tell what I was, so the 8 birds came within five yards of me trying to figure me out. I waited them out and sure enough not ten minutes later two big gobblers followed them down the field edge and I got the lead gobbler with about a ten yard shot.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

New turkey hunter

Postby RockChucker30 » 04 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Cut into strips, battered in almond meal and Cajun seasoning, pan seared, and finished in the oven, wild turkey is delicious!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365019646.420060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365019646.420060.jpg (86.97 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby ElkNut1 » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Nathan, thanks, that's one good looking meal, wow!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 04 04, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I went on my first turkey hunt when I was.........17 I think. Maybe 16. I went with my dad and neither one of use knew much except the research I had done. Just like anywhere else, slowly you will learn your areas and what works in your area. I hunt Merriams in Wyoming and they're fairly vocal. But just like anything else you think you have them figured out and then the next day you don't see or even hear one.

The good thing about turkeys is (like elk) they make noise! I have slowly learned where the turkeys are not by site but by tracks and sound. My first piece of advice would be to scout your property (or whoever's you're hunting). Right now would be a great time as those birds are likely in the same spots they'll be during season (unless it's already opened). Early morning go try and locate some on the roost by use of turkey calls or any type of locator. Elk squeal, owl, coyote howl, crow, etc. Once you've found their roosting areas try and set up within 100 yards without getting busted and make sure your decoys are in PLAIN SITE. Unlike other animals, don't make the turkeys come looking for your setup. If they don't see it they rarely come in (at least in my experience). If you're going to go with any call buy a box call. Just don't overuse it. Good luck!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby trapperjay » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for posting everyone. sorry for the delay- this week has been hectic. One of the common themes in the posts seems to be that turkeys make NOISE and because of that, we can too! I have some coyote calls and can make some decent howls. Should I howl at first light? How long do you expect it to take them to respond? By the way, that looks like some good table fare.
trapperjay

Postby trapperjay » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

trapperjay

Postby POk3s » 04 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Usually "shock gobbles" (which is what you will hear when blowing a locator call at them) are instant. If your'e calling to them it can be just like elk. Instant or 10 mins....or nothing.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Puttncut » 03 16, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Something not mentioned so far trapper is putting a gobbler to bed. Get into your tukey woods late in the day and you'll often catch one sounding-off just as he goes to roost. He'll be responsive to yelps at this time too so keep walking/driving along back roads calling down into the hollows or field edges and just listen. Find one in the evening then set-up on him before daylight...he'll be there. Always try to find a high advantage point to call [u]whenever you're trying to locate a bird.

For a beginner I do NOT recommend box calls because they take two hands to operate and you'll eventually get busted sure as sin because most young hunters don't know when to stop. Practice with a mouth reed (buy several until ya find one ya like) then use a slate at the same time. (lay your slate in your lap or on the ground beside you and you can make sweet sounds with one hand)

If I'm working a roosted bird at daylight, I ususally use soft wake-up purrs/clucks then a fly-down cackle then I go quiet. Remember that less is better most times...when you get a response and he's coming, get quiet and get your gun up. BE PATIENT. If he's moving away, get agressive with both calls. If a gobbler is REALLY vocal but not coming in he's in his strut zone so you have to sneek in on him but that ain't none too easy... this is TOUGH unless you have great cover. Only move when it sounds like he's moving away from you.

Get yourself at least a hen decoy. A jake/hen combo can be an awesome tool. Just don't get busted sitting them up! Good luck!!
Puttncut

First Name: RM
Last Name: Montgomery

Postby baddaddy » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 11]

I too prefer a slate call however I have slate, box, diaphragms and others in my vest. You never know what a turkey will like. I run and gun like Paul does. Make sure you pattern your shotgun and find a load it likes. My Benelli prefers the Jellyhead choke with Federals #6's with the flight control wad. My 870 however likes the undertaker choke with the Federal loads. Good Luck to all this season.
baddaddy

Postby huntfishtrap247 » 04 18, 2014 •  [Post 12]

A box call (push button) is the easiest to use IMO and you can do it with very little movement when the birds are close, and can do just about any call you want with one. Not the only call I use but definitely easy and a good choice for a first timer.
huntfishtrap247

First Name: Paul
Last Name: P

Postby zpd307 » 04 19, 2014 •  [Post 13]

I am a runner and gunner. I set up in the morning, but will go after them if I know where they are going or can see them.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s