Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

tactics questions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

tactics questions

Postby bnsafe » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 1]

anybody have any tactics questions about turkeys. throw em out there. I can help on this one.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: tactics questions

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 2]

Hey bnsafe, it is quickly approaching, and I can't wait! 3 more months. Man, I love turkey hunting . . . it is the first thing I ever bowhunted and am still trying to git 'r done. I think this year is my year. Say you are unaware of a flocks particular roosting site, but you know they are in the area because you saw them cross the highway the day before. You make a best guess, and you go back in the following morning at zero dark thirty, set up, and are patiently waiting. Then just about the time you should be hearing the birds fixing to fly down, the silence is broken by a squaking alarm call . . . from directly above you. Oops! Got a little TOO close. I'm not speaking from personal experience or anything. :lol: Is this area completely toast and should you move on? Or is it reasonable to let it lie for a day or two and go back?
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby bnsafe » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 3]

turkeys don't move like elk. they will change roost areas if they are bumped a lot. but they wont leave a area. back in mo I hunted the same 160 acres all the time an bumped turkeys a lot, scaring them out of the trees, etc. they didn't leave or go far at all. I snuck up on one one time an did the same thing. he was gobbling in a tree an I got so close in the dark I could see him about 30 yds away. he finally saw me an bailed out of the tree so I threw a shot at him. the next day the turkeys were all in the same patch of timber, about 10 acres. just on the other side of it. I would stay there. besides, when they gobble you will know where they are(although be careful, not all gobblers gobble anymore than satellite bulls bugle). now heres the tricky part. I believe turkeys will pattern you. so, if you go in the same way every time an sit at the same tree every time an make the same call every time the turkeys will be there, but you wont kill them unless you get very lucky.
hope that answered your question, if not keep asking. btw, im talking about easterns an rios. not sure bout merriams but would highly suspect the same.
bnsafe

Postby twinkieman » 01 07, 2014 •  [Post 4]

Washington Wapiti wrote:Hey bnsafe, it is quickly approaching, and I can't wait! 3 more months. Man, I love turkey hunting . . . it is the first thing I ever bowhunted and am still trying to git 'r done. I think this year is my year. Say you are unaware of a flocks particular roosting site, but you know they are in the area because you saw them cross the highway the day before. You make a best guess, and you go back in the following morning at zero dark thirty, set up, and are patiently waiting. Then just about the time you should be hearing the birds fixing to fly down, the silence is broken by a squaking alarm call . . . from directly above you. Oops! Got a little TOO close. I'm not speaking from personal experience or anything. :lol: Is this area completely toast and should you move on? Or is it reasonable to let it lie for a day or two and go back?

Try using a coyote howl in the dark, more often than not birds will gobble to it. Then you have a general location, can move in and then wait for them to begin gobbling on their own. You can then move in closer to their roost and set up. Howling also works later in the morning. This is what I use for locating every time out. Try it, you will see.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 5]

Good advice guys, thank you. Yeah, this one particular instance was a one-shot deal. We were just scoping out an area, a good ways away and happened to see birds. They crossed directly in-front of our rig actually, presumably heading down to the water on the other side of the highway. Wasn't a place we wanted to drive back and forth to multiple times because of the distance, but we thought we would give it a shot that one morning. But it was always in the back of my mind, how would I approach this again if a similar thing happened.

"(although be careful, not all gobblers gobble anymore than satellite bulls bugle). "
Absolutely. In-fact, I would say 90% of the gobblers I've hunted have been non-vocal when by all rights, they should be talkin' up a storm. That goes for Utah and Washington both. WTH is it with me and quiet, uncooperative animals?? Very interesting observation about the patterning! I will keep that in mind.

Twinkieman, I def plan on doing more of this in some new areas I'm considering for this year. With the exception of once last spring, I haven't had much success with getting birds to shock-gobble at night/early morning. I've used coyote calls and barred owl calls both. Crickets. This is while going around just trying to blindly find birds based on likely habitat though, so they may have just simply not been there. When you say in the dark, do you mean the night before? In the morning, or both?
Washington Wapiti

Postby pointysticks » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 6]

i've seen turkeys run away when a coyote is in the area. i wouldnt blow a coyote call. i use a crow call. i have a 30 year old burnam bros, crow call that works awesome.

some days, i think turkeys are geniuses.other days, not so much. one time my buddy and i located a big bird by him slamming his car door. we were not even hunting. just checking out a river. we got that bird after a very rapid, fire-drill-like dash for gear. other times, the same door will send them to another zip code..

i like that big black phallic gobble thing as a locator as well.

if i were gonna hit and unknown flock in an unknown area..i would just cold call them..move around silently, and set up..and call.

i am not a pro..i have only killed 6 or 7 birds in my life. i rarely find the roost tree. unless i am hunting something else.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bnsafe » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 7]

personally where I hunted turkeys don't gobble at real coyotes let alone me (not saying they wont or it wont work). ive tried crow calls an they worked some, but I always had tons of crows flying around an the turks didn't gobble at them so I kinda shied away from that. now a owl call, that's a different story. they don't like owls an gobble at them. or my personal favorite, thunder. when it thunders turkeys really go nuts, until the first rain drop hits, then its over. they will come in in the rain, but wont gobble.
remember these are all generalizations.
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 8]

im surprised there hasn't been any questions on calling
bnsafe

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 9]

pointysticks wrote:i've seen turkeys run away when a coyote is in the area. i wouldnt blow a coyote call. i use a crow call. i have a 30 year old burnam bros, crow call that works awesome.

some days, i think turkeys are geniuses.other days, not so much. one time my buddy and i located a big bird by him slamming his car door. we were not even hunting. just checking out a river. we got that bird after a very rapid, fire-drill-like dash for gear. other times, the same door will send them to another zip code..

i like that big black phallic gobble thing as a locator as well.

if i were gonna hit and unknown flock in an unknown area..i would just cold call them..move around silently, and set up..and call.

i am not a pro..i have only killed 6 or 7 birds in my life. i rarely find the roost tree. unless i am hunting something else.

I got a good chuckle out of this . . . SO true! I guess turkeys have their off-days too. ;) I have heard of them gobbling at cars, car horns, doors, that sort of thing. LOL, is that the phallic, gobble call thing that you shake? A buddy of mine used to have one of those. Ah yes, I HAVE used the crow call as well. Yielded the same results. I can actually do this with my voice . . . a little side-talent I picked up a lot of years ago. I don't really know why I started doing it in the first place :D
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 10]

bnsafe wrote:im surprised there hasn't been any questions on calling

I've got one . . . similar to "what do you do to bring in an elk that last 40, 50, or 60 yards" when he's hung up in the thick stuff. What do you do call-wise when 'ol Tom comes running in hot and heavy to your purrs and clucks but hangs up behind a thin row of trees 15 or so yards, gobbling his head off? He absolutely will not budge, but he's looking for his lady. What do you to coax him in from behind the trees for a shot?
Washington Wapiti

Postby bnsafe » 01 08, 2014 •  [Post 11]

if hes 15 yds theres not much you can do. I save my purrs an soft clucks to seal the deal in that scenario. purrs are everythings ok sound to a turkey. if you need him to move a bit try that, but its more of a 40 yd an hung up call. but, he will move on his own as long as you don't scare him by moving. also if your calling a turkey that close an you feel like you need to call to move him (which I wouldn't) call very very very softly. I would have decoys out to move him past the trees instead of calling.
now, if your talking about a turkey hanging up say 80-100 yds away you have to play that by ear depending on terrain etc. but, if you can get a gobbler to answer you but he wont come, go half way to him then call again. I would say that will work most of the time. gobblers love that. say a bird is answering my yelps at 100 yds but wont budge an say I can get 40 yds closer to him I will do it, even if you have to crawl. then hit him with a soft cackle an get ready.
if the bird is at that 80 yd range an you cant move an he wont budge you prob wont kill him, but I would throw the kitchen sink at him at that point. I would get quiet for about 5 minutes then cackle agressivly a couple times quickly an loud, wait about a minute an yelp. see what happens but if he gobbles back I would give him the call he gobbled at then wait. always remember if a bird cuts you off then shuts up hes coming, get ready.
if the birds hung up at 40 shoot him, or if your bowhunting you can purr or yelp softly. just don't get loud.
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 12]

here is a call question.

lately there has been a push towards gobble calls. you throw out boy turkey challenges, and make it sound like there is a fight going on. what's your take?

i bought that "Haint" call, and i kid you not..i sounded like a wounded duck. i couldnt do that rapid machine gun sound to save my life. you have to roll the "R's" like a hispanic soap opera star..

i've heard there are more calls on the market now. do you think sounding like a boy turkey works?
pointysticks

Postby cnelk » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Im surprised a nervous grunt dont work on turkeys... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 01 09, 2014 •  [Post 14]

nervous grunts are awesome for turkeys, they will come runnin for sure. lol
personally I have never ever seen a gobbler come to a gobble call, an I have called in a BUNCH of birds. the big birds have hens with them an arnt gonna come, the smaller birds arnt gonna take a chance of getting there butt kicked. I actually tried for a couple years to get one to answer an come to a gobble, but no dice where I hunted. sometimes they will answer but never had one come in.
I do like to gobble right as it starts turning daylight to get a response from a tree though, I think that works better than anything else.
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 15]

i've been pouring over maps looking at OTC arizona archery tags.

and elk tag is a long shot..i'll go and kill a turkey..AZ offers up some amazing territory for turkey. i assume it is their Merriam flock. i see their Gould birds all the time down south. gigantic birds. protected tho.

BNsafe..meet me in flagstaff. hahah..
pointysticks

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 16]

bnsafe wrote:if hes 15 yds theres not much you can do. I save my purrs an soft clucks to seal the deal in that scenario. purrs are everythings ok sound to a turkey. if you need him to move a bit try that, but its more of a 40 yd an hung up call. but, he will move on his own as long as you don't scare him by moving. also if your calling a turkey that close an you feel like you need to call to move him (which I wouldn't) call very very very softly. I would have decoys out to move him past the trees instead of calling.
now, if your talking about a turkey hanging up say 80-100 yds away you have to play that by ear depending on terrain etc. but, if you can get a gobbler to answer you but he wont come, go half way to him then call again. I would say that will work most of the time. gobblers love that. say a bird is answering my yelps at 100 yds but wont budge an say I can get 40 yds closer to him I will do it, even if you have to crawl. then hit him with a soft cackle an get ready.
if the bird is at that 80 yd range an you cant move an he wont budge you prob wont kill him, but I would throw the kitchen sink at him at that point. I would get quiet for about 5 minutes then cackle agressivly a couple times quickly an loud, wait about a minute an yelp. see what happens but if he gobbles back I would give him the call he gobbled at then wait. always remember if a bird cuts you off then shuts up hes coming, get ready.
if the birds hung up at 40 shoot him, or if your bowhunting you can purr or yelp softly. just don't get loud.

Good stuff, good stuff. This happened to me twice. Once in 2011 when I was back out in Utah, and then last spring here in WA when I found a small flock after strking out on my guided hunt. Both times I had those birds talking like crazy, but could not get them out from behind the trees seperating him and I. Frustrating! I think it is time to upgrade my decoys. I have some old "blow ups" that were the first ones I ever bought. I'm not so sure they are really fooling anyone :) In scenarios like this would you have used a hen only? Hen and gobbler?
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 17]

cnelk wrote:Im surprised a nervous grunt dont work on turkeys... :)

LOL!! I'll give this one a shot this spring.
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 18]

bnsafe wrote:nervous grunts are awesome for turkeys, they will come runnin for sure. lol
personally I have never ever seen a gobbler come to a gobble call, an I have called in a BUNCH of birds. the big birds have hens with them an arnt gonna come, the smaller birds arnt gonna take a chance of getting there butt kicked. I actually tried for a couple years to get one to answer an come to a gobble, but no dice where I hunted. sometimes they will answer but never had one come in.
I do like to gobble right as it starts turning daylight to get a response from a tree though, I think that works better than anything else.

I've witnessed the "big birds all henned up" first hand. That's what happened my first year. Not on the gobbling side, but I threw everything else at him I could do with slate and box calls. He had 11 hens . . . he couldv'e cared less about the wood squaker 80 yards away over the small hill.While I was working those calls so hard, I nearly started a fire, he just strutted around, flaring out his tail feathers for his chicks. LOL And let me tell ya, closing that half or 3/4 mile distance from the valley floor to within 80 yards just below the ridgetop where they were at was no easy feat. Raging creek crossing, steep terrain . . . I spent 4 days on those birds. I got schooled. :D It was the equivalent of seeing a 300 class bull on your first elk bowhunt ever, getting so ridiculously close and then not be able to get around for a shot. That bird was magnificent . . .
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 19]

Bnsafe, do you think that works better than trying to locate the night before?
Washington Wapiti

Postby pointysticks » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 20]

Washington Wapiti wrote:
bnsafe wrote:nervous grunts are awesome for turkeys, they will come runnin for sure. lol

I've witnessed the "big birds all henned up" first hand. That's what happened my first year. Not on the gobbling side, but I threw everything else at him I could do with slate and box calls. He had 11 hens . . . he couldv'e cared less about the wood squaker 80 yards away over the small hill.While I was working those calls so hard, I nearly started a fire, he just strutted around, flaring out his tail feathers for his chicks. LOL And let me tell ya, closing that half or 3/4 mile distance from the valley floor to within 80 yards just below the ridgetop where they were at was no easy feat. Raging creek crossing, steep terrain . . . I spent 4 days on those birds. I got schooled. :D It was the equivalent of seeing a 300 class bull on your first elk bowhunt ever, getting so ridiculously close and then not be able to get around for a shot. That bird was magnificent . . .

this happened to me once.

my buddy got so frustrated, on the second day, he crept to the other side of the flock.and let out a few clucks. i mirrored the calls. the big tom just about freaked out. i think he thought a girl got away from him. it was 50/50..but i saw the bird move away towards justin.. that bird died valiantly. it was pretty fun tag teaming that tom.
pointysticks

Postby bnsafe » 01 10, 2014 •  [Post 21]

a few more things you can try with a hung bird.
1. if he is say 75 yds away throw the kitchen sink at him, cackles, excited yelps, etc.
2. go quiet, after awhile he may wonder where his hen went an go looking.
3. always remember there is a reason a bird hangs up, could be a ditch, fence line, etc. some sort of natural barrier. could be he has hens, but hens are suppose to go to the gobbler so he may just be letting that play out, he may be close enuf he knows the hen is suppose to be there an cant see her. I think I stated before, but if you can get halfway to him you have a great chance of killing him. sometimes I don't go straight at them either. you can angle a ways then set up. that way you not only moved like a real hen, closed some distance, but also may have taken out a natural barrier.
4. an last but not least, don't call from where they been, that aint gonna happen very often. your wasting your time for the most part. if its your only answer go for it but only as a last resort.
5. decoys work, but not all the time like anything else. I like a jake deke more than a hen, but that depends on where you hunt. the birds I hunted had a lot of hens around so they coulda cared less, but didn't want jakes around.
cliff I will be there.
bnsafe

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 13, 2014 •  [Post 22]

pointysticks wrote:
Washington Wapiti wrote:

this happened to me once.

my buddy got so frustrated, on the second day, he crept to the other side of the flock.and let out a few clucks. i mirrored the calls. the big tom just about freaked out. i think he thought a girl got away from him. it was 50/50..but i saw the bird move away towards justin.. that bird died valiantly. it was pretty fun tag teaming that tom.

Hahaha, you gotta love it when a "plan" just unfolds like that. If all else fails, get him to hallucinate . . . I'll remember that. :)
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 01 13, 2014 •  [Post 23]

bnsafe wrote:a few more things you can try with a hung bird.
1. if he is say 75 yds away throw the kitchen sink at him, cackles, excited yelps, etc.
2. go quiet, after awhile he may wonder where his hen went an go looking.
3. always remember there is a reason a bird hangs up, could be a ditch, fence line, etc. some sort of natural barrier. could be he has hens, but hens are suppose to go to the gobbler so he may just be letting that play out, he may be close enuf he knows the hen is suppose to be there an cant see her. I think I stated before, but if you can get halfway to him you have a great chance of killing him. sometimes I don't go straight at them either. you can angle a ways then set up. that way you not only moved like a real hen, closed some distance, but also may have taken out a natural barrier.
4. an last but not least, don't call from where they been, that aint gonna happen very often. your wasting your time for the most part. if its your only answer go for it but only as a last resort.
5. decoys work, but not all the time like anything else. I like a jake deke more than a hen, but that depends on where you hunt. the birds I hunted had a lot of hens around so they coulda cared less, but didn't want jakes around.
cliff I will be there.

Got these entered into the Notepad on my phone for quick ref.
Washington Wapiti

Postby twinkieman » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 24]

I use the coyote call primarily in the dark when birds are still on the roost. I blow as loud as possible, and locate birds every time I hunt with this method. I've never had a bird or birds fly away from this call in the dark, they hear real coyotes all the time. I use a crow call as well later in the morning, but when all else fails, I blow a coyote howler. For the guys that say they have had birds run away, are you in pretty open country?
twinkieman

Postby twinkieman » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 25]

One other note, last year called in 19 long beards that died, and 7 others that were missed. Everyone of the 26 birds were located with a coyote howler. I do a ton of hunts for RMEF fundraisers, that is why I called in so many birds. I haven't kept track of my personal kill number, other than the 17 I have killed with my bow. I Wouldn't want to even guess at how many with a shotgun.
twinkieman

Postby jmez » 01 14, 2014 •  [Post 26]

If I have a hung bird that is with hens I will get very aggressive and loud with my calling. There is a boss hen with every bunch, just like a lead cow. If you irritate her she will call back to you. If you get her talking you just won. She will aggressively call back to you, quite apparent when it happens. Just give her right back everything that she gives you. She will come to check you out and the entire flock will follow. Tom will always be last but you should get a shot.

Doesn't always work as sometimes she'll just round every one up and lead them the other way. Keep it up even if they start leaving. If she happens to answer game on, they will turn an come.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby pointysticks » 01 16, 2014 •  [Post 27]

twinkieman wrote:One other note, last year called in 19 long beards that died, and 7 others that were missed. Everyone of the 26 birds were located with a coyote howler. I do a ton of hunts for RMEF fundraisers, that is why I called in so many birds. I haven't kept track of my personal kill number, other than the 17 I have killed with my bow. I Wouldn't want to even guess at how many with a shotgun.

those are awesome numbers!! you guiding up there?

i've killed 7 birds in the past four years..my only four years..i am a fledgling hunter. i think most of my birds were pure luck. :)
pointysticks

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 28]

+1 on the coyote howl!! got the most shock gobbles from that last year, seemed to work best in evening right before dark when putting them to bed!! owl and crow rarely worked---BUT the one that worked every time if the howl didnt was a peacock call--they sell them specifically for shick gobbling, and its a sound they arent accustomed to. we did try a bugle for fun last year and it worked. but somedays they just arent too smart---had some guys target shooting about 500yds from my set----every time their rifle barked, the tom gobbled! lol

Tip-- Add a sneaky jake to your hen spread. try to locate in the evening to find roost....slip in next morning EARLY, get as close as possible without spooking---i like to be set up so they can see my spread from their roost--so for me it means going in at least an hour before first hint of light---belly crawling in to set my spread then backing off and setting up. few clucks and purrs--few weak jake sounds--and almost always get a confirmation call from a tom in roost. at first light BANG!!!!

Tip---Bust up flocks if TOMS wont come to set b/c they are busy chasing REAL hens....they get lonely fast and tend to come in to set then
ChukarNUT

First Name: Brian

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 29]

BTW-- if anyone is in or wants to hunt turkey in Eastern Oregon--PM me. More than willing to bring some folks out!!
ChukarNUT

Postby pointysticks » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 30]

Great offer!

I just brought home a. 11-87. Gotta get a turkey choke. But I'd probably go archery.
pointysticks

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 31]

NICE!!! Turkey chokes make a huge difference! i usually bring both my bow and gun...if opp is there i go bow first. especially midday when we bust up flocks and then call the toms back in--alot like setting up for a bugling bull!! spot and stalk! but i have managed to get one with each weapon the last 3 years! this year its bow only until i fill first tag! what really stinks is i finally have my turkey gun built the way i want it, but i have a new elite thats just aching to get its first notch;)
ChukarNUT

Postby pointysticks » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 32]

me too!! i historically always get "first blood" on a bow with a spring bird. my new Elite needs a proper christening.

in California, we can legally take a turkey with a pellet rifle. my friends invented the California turkey 3-weapons slam..but man, hitting a turkey in the head with my vintage 20 cal pellet rifle wont be easy. i can zap a bottle cap at 18 yards easy..but that bottle cap is not bobbing and weaving. haha.

chukar..you taken a Rio yet?
pointysticks

Postby pointysticks » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 33]

Saw some Goulds this past week in southern AZ.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391376945.757546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391376945.757546.jpg (154.14 KiB) Viewed 15741 times

Got fired up for spring.
pointysticks

Postby ChukarNUT » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 34]

i have actually taken both--and easterns (grew up in illinois and hunted IL-WI-MI-MO)...in E.OR we have rios and merriams---hells canyon holds both.
ChukarNUT

Postby twinkieman » 02 02, 2014 •  [Post 35]

pointysticks wrote:
twinkieman wrote:One other note, last year called in 19 long beards that died, and 7 others that were missed. Everyone of the 26 birds were located with a coyote howler. I do a ton of hunts for RMEF fundraisers, that is why I called in so many birds. I haven't kept track of my personal kill number, other than the 17 I have killed with my bow. I Wouldn't want to even guess at how many with a shotgun.

those are awesome numbers!! you guiding up there?

i've killed 7 birds in the past four years..my only four years..i am a fledgling hunter. i think most of my birds were pure luck. :)

Yes, I do guide hunters, hunts are given to various chapters of the RMEF for use in fundraising, most of my hunters buy hunts at an RMEF banquet, a few hunts go to youth organizations, getting kids started in hunting. The rest are when friends need help calling in a bird,
twinkieman

Postby Ironhorse375 » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 36]

Hey guys, great information. I'm a novice at turkey hunting and just to make things more interesting I'm starting back with archery . So any ideas for a newbie turkey hunter here in Colorado with stick and string are appreciated. Thanks
Ironhorse375

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Cokewell

Postby six » 04 13, 2014 •  [Post 37]

ChukarNUT wrote:BTW-- if anyone is in or wants to hunt turkey in Eastern Oregon--PM me. More than willing to bring some folks out!!

Very cool
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby six » 04 13, 2014 •  [Post 38]

pointysticks wrote:me too!! i historically always get "first blood" on a bow with a spring bird. my new Elite needs a proper christening.

in California, we can legally take a turkey with a pellet rifle. my friends invented the California turkey 3-weapons slam..but man, hitting a turkey in the head with my vintage 20 cal pellet rifle wont be easy. i can zap a bottle cap at 18 yards easy..but that bottle cap is not bobbing and weaving. haha.

chukar..you taken a Rio yet?

That sounds like a hoot. Would love to try that.
six

Postby six » 04 13, 2014 •  [Post 39]

I would like to hear some thoughts on blind hunting. I just purchased a Double Bull and season starts in 2 weeks. I also have a DSD jake and hen decoy.
six

Postby pointysticks » 04 13, 2014 •  [Post 40]

I just got back. Birds were stubborn. On the last day I tied fishing line to my decoy. When a bird walked by, I gave the decoy movement. It worked awesome. I never even needed my calls. Cheap 4lb test.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397428417.423477.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397428417.423477.jpg (207.21 KiB) Viewed 15501 times
pointysticks

Postby Washington Wapiti » 04 15, 2014 •  [Post 41]

six wrote:I would like to hear some thoughts on blind hunting. I just purchased a Double Bull and season starts in 2 weeks. I also have a DSD jake and hen decoy.

Six, I have put a lot of miles on my Primos Gound Max Predator Blind since 2008 for various species. A blind and decoy set-up can work really well. The best situation (like with blind hunting any animal) is to have it in an area where they commonly travel, or near where they roost if you've located roosting sites. If you've located one, I would set it up in a high travel area but do it in a way that you can sneak out of it to run and gun if need be. I set mine up with the door to the back and either brushed in or with the entry way somehow concealed. Below was my first ever turkey set up in Utah. Looks like good habitat eh? Problem was, this was on the valley floor. About an hour after taking this photo, while glassing, I discovered that they were roaming the ridgeline almost a mile up and to the right of my blind.

4296_750217166728_6745245_n.jpg
4296_750217166728_6745245_n.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 15475 times

I then putzed around patterning them for the next 3 days, watching them travel nearly the exact same path about 9am. I finally huffed my blind up to where they were hanging out and set up within about 80 yards. Up here:

4296_750217171718_7306560_n.jpg
4296_750217171718_7306560_n.jpg (73.96 KiB) Viewed 15475 times

Instead of going "blindless," using the terrain to my advantage and moving up around to get above them (which would've put me in a better postition), I decided to wait them out in the blind 'til the next day. They never showed back up and I missed out on a t-rex of a Tom. :cry: I assumed in the first pic I was close to their roosting area and eventually they would come my way. But I had zero intel about the area, so I set up in likely habitat and where I had seen some sign. There is something to be said for "striking while the iron is hot." I wouldn't waste time like that again hoping they'll come into a set-up. Once spotted, it is time to move on 'em!
Washington Wapiti