Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Two more weeks!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Two more weeks!

Postby Sneaky » 03 15, 2014 •  [Post 1]

And it's on! Actually, just one more week since we have a youth season. My oldest boy will get in on that. I can't wait to call in his first bird. It's something I've always loved to do, but I haven't done it for several years. Now that I own property that is plumb full of turkeys, I can't wait to get back into it.

We sat on the bank of the creek yesterday at dusk, waiting for the beavers that are cutting down my trees, and we heard the first gobbles of the year. I got pretty excited about that.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Re: Two more weeks!

Postby pointysticks » 03 17, 2014 •  [Post 2]

13 days!! my neighbors chickens are going insane and developing a huge identity crisis from my turkey calling practice.

hoping for a good year, but worried about our super early spring. we actually seem to have skipped spring and jumped right to summer.

got my tomatoes into the ground yesterday.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 18, 2014 •  [Post 3]

season opens up April 12th for me. Never hunting turkeys in the spring before and im getting excited to get out and test my luck.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Waygoner » 03 19, 2014 •  [Post 4]

April 12th in Colorado too. Heading over to the Uncompahgre Plateau outside of Montrose.
Waygoner

Postby Bow4Elk » 03 19, 2014 •  [Post 5]

April 15th in Oregon. I went out to place the trail cams and have found 6 toms so far. They haven't started gobbling here yet. Still cold, windy, rainy and snowy. Did find a good elk trail that I followed. Found cougar tracks on top of the elk tracks. Now one of my cams is on the elk trail. Got some great pics last year. One pic has 11 toms walking away on an old trail and the next pic has all 11 walking towards the cam.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron

Postby Sneaky » 03 19, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Watched two different groups of hens making their way across my wheat field towards their roost. A few toms followed them while strutting. Got me a couple game plans put together.
Sneaky

First Name: Jared
Last Name: Klein

Postby baddaddy » 03 24, 2014 •  [Post 7]

Waygoner,

I'll be on the plateau as well. either up transfer or 25 Mesa.
baddaddy

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 25, 2014 •  [Post 8]

Found a large group of roughly 30 birds hiding out in a small creek bottom. Must have been getting out of the wind. Watched them for a little bit and backed out. Makes shooting the bow much more fun in the spring time knowing I get to put it to use soon. 18 days.......
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby easeup » 03 25, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Saturday I saw 7 gobblers with a group of 8 hens and what a show it was. Monday I snuck in to the same area and saw only 4 gobblers with about 6 hens and Tuesday I went back and never saw or heard a bird. now as long as they come back by this Saturday!
easeup