Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Turkey Hunt Poison Arrow Gear

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Turkey Hunt Poison Arrow Gear

Postby poisonarrow » 04 02, 2014 •  [Post 1]

This is an report on my turkey hunt to Kansas. I went with Donovan Huehl of Arrowhead Wilderness Outfitters. I wanted to try my decoy on turkeys.

I got to Kansas late Monday night. Early Tue. we were up and at em'. It was a cold morning and there was very little action first thing in the morning. We heard a gobble a long ways off but nothing close. Donovan started calling after it was light. There were a bunch of hens close but no gobblers.

We hiked out and started to drive around to see if we could spot some turkeys. Donovan called it spot and stalk. He told me what we were doing was difficult with a shotgun and was going to be very tough with a bow.

We spotted a group of around 20 birds and drove around the section to put a creek between us and the turkeys. We stalked to within a hundred yards or so and started to call. Three jakes responded and came towards our position. I was getting ready for action! They seemed nervous before they got to us and never stopped moving. I only had a small window in the weeds to shoot through. I drew and shot. Missed! I should have never shot at them . Live and learn. They were too far away and moving.

Lost that arrow.

We again started looking for a group that would be in a position to stalk within calling range.

We quit for lunch and a short nap.

Sweet sleep, it had been a short night, "Hey, is anyone in here?" Donovans dad had spotted two big toms and several hens right behind the lodge. I jumped up and grabbed my gear, Donovan appeared about then and we were after em.

They had other plans, no go.

We drove to the north about five miles and spotted another big group of turkeys. By now I knew the routine. drive around the other side of the creek sneak as close as possible and try call them in. We again got them to come but they were moving fast and I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. I let them slip past.

We drove around the corner and another big group. There are a lot of turkeys in the area and Donovan has ground leased for miles.

We again stalked to the edge of the field and started calling. That bunch acted like we were nothing to get excited about. Suddenly behind us we heard a gobble! Then another, and another. We were in a hot bunch this time.

I went for my release, nothing! The best opportunity of the day and no release. I had taken it off to take off my sweater and had forgotten to put it back on. I have hunted the last five years with a recurve so I was not used to taking a release.

Too late they were coming. I popped up my decoy and hoped for the best. Finger time, no glove , ouch! They were coming in fast.

The first bunch came within about 11 yards but nothing would stop. Suddenly Donovan hissed, "There one behind me shoot him!" I was sitting flat on the ground and had to turn around. That turkey stayed there looking, I think it was looking at my decoy. I drew my bow and found out that fingers and a short compound bow were not made for each other. I let fly and shot just below him. Nocked another arrow and nailed him! Yessss! Twenty yards with fingers, not bad.

We left him to expire and went to check him out. A good turkey. He measured 63 1/2 . I will post photos when I figure out how.

James
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Re: Turkey Hunt Poison Arrow Gear

Postby poisonarrow » 04 02, 2014 •  [Post 2]

forum turkey photo.jpg
forum turkey photo.jpg (95.6 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
I am trying to post a picture.

James
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby pointysticks » 04 04, 2014 •  [Post 3]

that is a pretty awesome story!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby crawdaddy09 » 06 22, 2014 •  [Post 4]

hmmm
crawdaddy09

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Crawford

Postby LongShot » 07 30, 2014 •  [Post 5]

poisonarrow wrote:
The first bunch came within about 11 yards but nothing would stop. Suddenly Donovan hissed, "There one behind me shoot him!" I was sitting flat on the ground and had to turn around. That turkey stayed there looking, I think it was looking at my decoy.

James, was the decoy a poison arrow decoy?
LongShot

First Name: Anon

Postby twinkieman » 08 18, 2014 •  [Post 6]

James, post a pic of the decoy you used please. :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson