Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Black hills birds down

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Black hills birds down

Postby POk3s » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 1]

Killed these a while back but just haven't had time to post them up.

Payed a tresspass fee to hunt an older couples land for 4 days. Both me and my dad. My dad hadn't been turkey hunting in a few years. After locating some birds the night before we were right on top of them at daylight just out of site. Big group with at least 3 hens (that were talking) and at least 2 long beards. Right when we thought they were headed our way the wind picked up to 30+mph and the woods went quiet. Crept up to the ridge line and nothing.......Still slightly baffled.

I told my dad "my gut tells me they went this way" and he agreed. No longer had the words "I think so too" left his mouth when a gobble ripped off. I crept up to the steep draw and saw a lone single gobbler on the other side. I called, he turned and gobbled. I called again and he gobbled and took two steps towards me and stopped. I called again and he started the walk straight at me. I told my dad to get ready and didn't call again. He circled around us and let out a thunderous gobble at less than 20 yards away but just out of site. He popped his head over the ridge and I could've killed him but I wanted my dad to get him. About then he started doing the "warning put" and I told my dad he's leaving and to stand and shoot. He did just that. Bird regained his legs after the first shot but a second put him down for good.

After that we hit a couple public land spots to no avail during the middle of the day. Headed back to the property we had permission for and instantly found birds a mere 100 yards off of a main county road as well as 100 yards into his property. I put a quick sneak on and busted the birds. I had hunted this property before and ran straight for a place I'd seen these birds cross before, just on a whim. I sat there for about 5 seconds and thought, "well it was worth a shot", when I saw a hen pop out, and then another hen, hen, jake, hen, hen, jake, jake, jake, hen............and TOM! It was quite a long shot and I missed the first shot but the bird stopped in his tracks and straightened his neck out even more. Second shot connected fully.

7 hour drive and both tags filled on the first day! Was really too quick after a long winter and an itchy trigger finger! We hung out a couple more days just enjoying the area and then headed home. Here are a few more pics from the trip.

POk3s

Re: Black hills birds down

Postby zpd307 » 05 04, 2014 •  [Post 2]

excellent pics! and congrats on your success. I am planning on hunting the black hills next spring, will be a 9 hour drive for us. my buddies brother in law went out there, sd, this spring and came back with a bird. not asking for a spot, but were you in sd or wy? I am guessing Wyoming.
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby BrentLaBere » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 3]

Nice! Awesome country to boot
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby POk3s » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 4]

yes I was in wyoming. Thanks guys!
POk3s

Postby zpd307 » 05 05, 2014 •  [Post 5]

glad to see i was on the ball.... :D like i said we got a spot picked out in soth dakota. where you from?
zpd307

Postby POk3s » 05 07, 2014 •  [Post 6]

I live in Green River (Southwestern Corner)......so quite a drive for me
POk3s

Postby zpd307 » 05 07, 2014 •  [Post 7]

gotcha, so nothing closer for you? I plan on getting my grand slam and the black hills tag is otc!
zpd307

Postby POk3s » 05 08, 2014 •  [Post 8]

There are a few small populations closer but nothing like the black hills. I'd rather travel and have a good hunt than only travel a couple hours and gamble.
POk3s

Postby scare » 05 11, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Gary,
are you looking for more hunters? I was planning on a trip next spring also, but maybe to Nebraska.
scare