Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wow. time flies!!! spring turkey is almost here again.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 01 08, 2015 •  [Post 1]

this is ridiculous. all this hunting is fun, but it sure makes time fly. i seem to set my mental calendar hunting season to hunting season.

mid march in my area..that's like 7 weeks or something. hahahha..

i've been making wild turkey breast Tonkatsu. a japanese breaded dish, that is amazing. i need more!!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: wow. time flies!!! spring turkey is almost here again.

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 08, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I agree. Minnesota lottery deadline is Jan 9. This year we are going to try it with bow. If you archery hunt MN you get a month instead of 5 days with gun.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby shaneatkinson82 » 01 08, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Just entered for my limited area draw here in Colorado. Excited for the season. Haven't tried turkey since before moving to Germany for a few years of no hunting.

Not to hijack but what are you using when you go turkey hunting. Still looking to bag my first one. Hoping for 2 tags this year. Would like to get a dedicated turkey gun (in the market hence the question) but really want to get one with a bow. I feel right now its best for me to go after one with a gun before I add another variable to my success, or lack of, with the bow.
shaneatkinson82

Postby pointysticks » 01 09, 2015 •  [Post 4]

i use a bow. my regular deer bow. but i use a big grim reaper broadhead. so far, every bird just sits down and dies.

but honestly, most of mine have died with a slicktrick hole. in a ground blind, i think a bow is almost as easy as a shotgun. for my shotgun, i now use an oldie (but goodie) Remmy 1100 with screw in chokes. i attached a few of those clip on turkey sights to make my gun look cool. but seriously, aiming a shotgun at a turkey's head is not rocket science. i dont know how people miss. super fun, but i hate the BAM!!! my local flock hears a gun go off, and it is game over for the day.

i have a new Browning Citori over and under with screw in chokes that i plan on turning into a turkey dedicated rig. i want to put one of those holographic sights on it..but my wife probably has other ideas.
pointysticks

Postby Mav » 01 10, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I'm gonna try this spring with my bow. I got my first one this fall with my browning gold. That's harsh you guys have to draw! Here in Oregon, spring is two toms general tags and fall is one either sex. Part of the state is a draw for fall, otherwise both seasons you can do OTC.
Mav

First Name: Chase
Last Name: Duncan

Postby zpd307 » 01 11, 2015 •  [Post 6]

I put in for b season again this year. the landowner always goes for a. hopefully he tags out again on the first day, so my boys can get an early crack at them again....
zpd307

First Name: gary
Last Name: s

Postby 8upbowhunter » 01 11, 2015 •  [Post 7]

shaneatkinson82 wrote:Just entered for my limited area draw here in Colorado. Excited for the season. Haven't tried turkey since before moving to Germany for a few years of no hunting.

Not to hijack but what are you using when you go turkey hunting. Still looking to bag my first one. Hoping for 2 tags this year. Would like to get a dedicated turkey gun (in the market hence the question) but really want to get one with a bow. I feel right now its best for me to go after one with a gun before I add another variable to my success, or lack of, with the bow.

I am using a Remington 870 SPS Supermag 3.5" with a holographic sight and a Rem Ventilator choke for my turkey rig. Only been turkey hunting a couple of years but would love to kill one with my bow. Problem is the area I hunt is public land and only has a 7 day season with lots of pressure but one year I will try it with my bow.
8upbowhunter

Postby six » 01 23, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I agree. Minnesota lottery deadline is Jan 9. This year we are going to try it with bow. If you archery hunt MN you get a month instead of 5 days with gun.

Sure wish Michigan would do that. I love hunting turkeys with my bow. Seems I can never quite get it done in a 5 day season tho. Plenty of scattergun opportunities but things gotta be just right with the bow. Good luck everyone.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby bald9eagle » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Not to brag but......I can hunt from March 15 to May 15 and take 5 in Alabama, 4 in Tenn, and 3 in Miss if I so wished. A few years back on opening day my brother and I sat in a spot and listened to 7-8 birds gobble close. We had one come in on us that my brother missed. We moved barely 150 yards and watched 2 feed across a ridge before going to another tom and starting a fight. We then struck another bird that we bumped back at the original spot we set up. We had moved no more than that 150 yards and had seen 4 toms and had 2 more with 100 yards.

We left there and struck a bird on the way out that I managed to miss in the wide open. We went to another spot and struck not just 1 bird but 6 more! We called 3 up and I got one, we moved towards two more that had been gobbling and called one of them up which my brother took. It was the best opening day that I had ever been on in my life. We counted it up and figured we heard close to 20 different birds that morning!

Man I love turkey hunting.....
bald9eagle

Postby bald9eagle » 01 24, 2015 •  [Post 10]

six wrote:
Fridaythe13th wrote:I agree. Minnesota lottery deadline is Jan 9. This year we are going to try it with bow. If you archery hunt MN you get a month instead of 5 days with gun.

Sure wish Michigan would do that. I love hunting turkeys with my bow. Seems I can never quite get it done in a 5 day season tho. Plenty of scattergun opportunities but things gotta be just right with the bow. Good luck everyone.

My brother is supposed to be up there in May to help guide on a Wounded Warriors hunt.
bald9eagle

Postby poisonarrow » 01 28, 2015 •  [Post 11]

Hey don't forget about my decoy. It works, I killed a turkey with it last year. I was not in a blind.

Poison Arrow Gear
poisonarrow

First Name: James
Last Name: Jantzen

Postby twinkieman » 02 10, 2015 •  [Post 12]

Well, California finally has better hunting on turkeys, than all the rest of what you guys are saying. Season begins March 28th, and goes till May the 3rd, bow or shotgun. May 4th thru may 17th bow only. Three toms are the season limit. We also get a junior season( 16 and under) that opens for two days March 21, and 22nd. Also the juniors can continue to hunt with a shotgun during the archery only season in May. No need to draw for tags, all that is required is a valid hunting license, with an upland gamebird stamp.

For those of you in California the RMEF has a statewide raffle going, Christy Titus and myself will be taking the winning junior hunter turkey hunting March 21, and March 22 on a private ranch up here in the Redding area of Northern California, and I will be mounting the winners bird for them also. Just check with your local RMEF chapter, if you're interested in purchasing raffle tickets for someone, but they have to be a junior hunter to qualify.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby pointysticks » 02 11, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Twink, Thanks for the heads up!

Some clarification. CA lets you take 3 bearded birds. One a day.

There is a white bearded hen just messing with me:)
pointysticks

Postby twinkieman » 02 11, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Pointy is correct, three bearded birds, and bearded hens are legal as well
twinkieman

Postby twinkieman » 03 24, 2015 •  [Post 15]

[GetAttachmentquote="twinkieman"]For those of you in California the RMEF has a statewide raffle going, Christy Titus and myself will be taking the winning junior hunter turkey hunting March 21, and March 22 on a private ranch up here in the Redding area of Northern California, and I will be mounting the winners bird for them also.

Here is the lucky youth who won the turkey hunt with Christy Titus, while it was a jake, Dallas was thrilled.
Left to right, Christy Titus, Mike Morgan (Northern California State Chair for RMEF, Dallas and jake, his father, Jason, and myself, we had tons of birds gobbling, I was the caller, Dallas took his first turkey 3 minutes after legal shooting time.
Attachments
GetAttachment[1].jpg
GetAttachment[1].jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
twinkieman

Postby pointysticks » 03 24, 2015 •  [Post 16]

Christy Titus? Is she that fitness/nutrition lady on Western Hunter?
pointysticks

Postby twinkieman » 03 25, 2015 •  [Post 17]

Yes, that's the one. There will be an article in western hunter about the hunt as well.
twinkieman

Postby pointysticks » 03 26, 2015 •  [Post 18]

^^^^cool. I like reading her stuff. I wish could follow her diet better.

And. I'm driving to my bird spot this weekend! Can't believe my opener is here!!!!
pointysticks