Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Expanding Broadheads

Moderators: Lefty, Swede, Tigger, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Expanding Broadheads

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

There has been some convincing arguments for expanding broadheads making a superior wound and providing a better blood trail. What I am wondering is if they can be relied on to open when you are shooting at a quartering to or away shot? Would the severity of the quartering angle make a difference?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Expanding Broadheads

Postby Lefty » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Idaho doesn't allow them. Or lighter nocks :evil:
Talking with an Iowa bow hunter who has killed dozens and dozens of whitetail with them. He thought they were great for deer,.. He had never shot an elk but said he didnt think they were a broadhead for elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Huge thread on another sight from a hunter that lost a bull with a quartering too and a Rage head this year. They have video and he hits like 8inches behind the shoulder and gets terrible penetration. There are tons of opinions on both sides of the fence. One was an outfitter that doesn't let his hunters use any expandable for elk. There's an old Primos video that I share every time this conversation comes up because it is very eye opening how little penetration they get well behind the shoulder on a broadside bull. Can't imagine anyone seeing that a rib could stop an arrow like this and still trust expandables on an elk! I know lots of hunters do, but I can't after seeing this and hearing more stories. They recover this one, but I'm sure they were sweating seeing that much arrow hanging out. The shot is at the 8 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/i0t6HodUM8I
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I have never shot an expandable broadhead at anything. It just seems to me that a quartering shot would cause the broadhead to expand before even the hide was fully penetrated and the blades were buried inside the elk. Trying to get a very wide broadhead to penetrate after having to break a couple of ribs would be inviting disaster. But like I said, I have never used one.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics