Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lightweight tents

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lightweight tents

Postby Rutaddict » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I looking to purchase a durable lightweight tent. What are some of y'all's top choices?
Rutaddict

First Name: Richard
Last Name: Peeples

Re: Lightweight tents

Postby Z Barebow » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

BA Fly Creek. I have the UL2.

After years of tarping it, I am opting for creature comfort!

I chose the UL2 even though I am solo. Wanted the extra space and the weight diff is minimal vs UL1. I like this tent also because of the vestibule. It isn't much, but still a place to put my boots without getting my tent filthy.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Seek Outside Lil' Bugout.

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/little-bug-out-shelter/

Reasoning:

- Seek Outside is a sponsor here.
- Very durable, very light, incredibly modular.

LBO Base - 16 oz

Base/Vestibule - 24 oz

Base/ Three Piece Vestibule - 26 oz

Base / Connector Tarp / Base - 46 oz

Like Johnny said, you can get it "One piece at a time."

Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Lightweight tents

Postby Rutaddict » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys I've been looking at the UL2 just for that little extra room I could put my pack inside and have a little wiggle room but I'm going solo so just trying to figure out all the weights cuts I can. Thanks guys
Rutaddict

First Name: Richard
Last Name: Peeples

Postby JimKirk » 07 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

there are some good ones here http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents.html and here http://www.tarptent.com/allproducts.html

that being said, a wood heated shelter such as those sold by seekoutside are sure sweet on those chilly nights. the wood stove is sure nice to dry clothes, and just having a warm tent. it actually motivates you to crawl out of your sleeping bag and get dressed and hunt more when you have a cocoon like those.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Triplebhunters » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 6]

Bump
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby ctdad » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 7]

I used six moon designs lunar solo last year. No complaints. I'm 5'10". If much taller, you'd want something else imo. Very light and sets up in two minutes.
ctdad

Postby Bowhunter » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 8]

BA Fly Creek UL2 , I like the vestible for my boots and pack.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby elkmtngear » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 9]

Bowhunter wrote:BA Fly Creek UL2 , I like the vestible for my boots and pack.

X2
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby jmez » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 10]

Two man tents aren't very big. You will want a vestibule to put your pack in. I'm 6'0" 200 and don't have much extra room in the tent.

The Big Agnes Scout is quite a bit bigger than a standard 2 man backpacking tent. Lightweight and roomy.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby pointysticks » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 11]

i love the BA tents.

thinking of getting a one man UL. we run a two man with my brother and i, and there is plenty of room for two.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 12]

Heavier than the ones that have been mentioned but never the less, a very good little pack tent with a roll down/zip down porch. This is my BA Lynx Pass 2. You can pick one up for about 200 bones. Not sure who that ugly cat is sitting in front of my tent, some mountain vagabond no doubt.

IMG_0028%20(640x480).jpg
IMG_0028%20(640x480).jpg (243.35 KiB) Viewed 37136 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Willie makit » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 13]

Anyone have a six moons trekker? For the price/weight/features this looked like fit my bill.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby ctdad » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 14]

Willie makit wrote:Anyone have a six moons trekker? For the price/weight/features this looked like fit my bill.

This tent is very similar to my lunar solo but it is a double wall tent while the solo is a single wall. The double wall will reduce condensation so it looks like a really nice upgrade.

How big of a guy are you? This tent is little and there isn't a lot of extra space. I used the solo last year and was happy with it but it is a minimalist tent. If you are 6 feet or taller, I'd keep looking. I'm 5'10" and it was fine for me. Very lightweight. I might upgrade to this model actually.
ctdad

Postby Willie makit » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 15]

Im 5'8" and wanted the double wall for bug protection around here. Read somewhere a guy used it and think he had his gear and a 70# dog sleeping in it, Im sure it wasnt spread out but for the $/size/weight on a bivy type unit it looks good ATM.

A while back a ran across one almost identical made by a lady in the kentucky area, (best I recall) am drawing a blank on make/model number ATM.
Willie makit

Postby Wagnon89 » 02 07, 2014 •  [Post 16]

I got the BA Fly Creek UL 3 awhile back on Camofire and it's a palace for one person. And it's only like a little over 3 lbs. I really love the extra room.
Wagnon89

First Name: Justin
Last Name: Wagnon

Postby mandrroofing » 02 08, 2014 •  [Post 17]

I have the six moon trekker,nice lite weight tent
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby Willie makit » 02 08, 2014 •  [Post 18]

Would you buy that tent again if yours walked off?
Willie makit

Postby kevin_t » 02 10, 2014 •  [Post 19]

You could go super light

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392081670.306549.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392081670.306549.jpg (120.42 KiB) Viewed 37006 times

This is less than 11 ounces
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby Moose-head » 02 15, 2014 •  [Post 20]

How about options for people who are taller than 6'?
Moose-head

First Name: Dana

Postby kevin_t » 02 16, 2014 •  [Post 21]

Do you want stand up room or just sleeping room? The LBO pictured above is fine for people to 6'5 or 6'6. When configured in a base tarp base it would be fine for folks 8 ft tall if need be :)
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby Elkduds » 02 06, 2016 •  [Post 22]

Golden oldie thread here. Looking @ a used BA Scout 2 for light overnights. 1 or 2 bodies. Any owner comments?
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 23]

I like that tent. It reminds of my Boy Scout days. :D I like the side door in the vestibule. It's really light too. But I'm not a fan of the 2 end posts frame design. They rely on the lines/stakes coming from the poles as well as having the corners staked down solid to stay standing. That can be a problem in rocky, sandy, or frozen ground. Although you and me wouldn't be sleeping in one like that when the ground is frozen right? :lol:

I prefer the dome design. It withstands wind way better. Plus those tents are free standing so they could blow away in the wind and when they land they will still be standing. The downside is the longer poles add weight.

The other thing is with the angled walls you have way less interior space. Dome tent walls are more vertical coming off the floor. Here's a really nice tent design. I'm a fan of Marmot tents. I have a Halo 6 man. The "halo" is a pole that runs all the way around the tent at the top of the walls. You pull the walls outward and clip them to the halo which makes them literally vertical. Tons of room!

This is another example of Marmot's max interior space designs. It's a Tungsten. I'm sure you're getting a good deal on that tent Duds but there is one of these on eBay right now sitting at $45. It's a 2 man. Ends next Saturday. You'll notice that they use pre bent poles to make the walls vertical at the bottom. I love it. You can get your sleeping bag tight to edge of the floor without touching the wall. Especially beneficial in the smaller 2 and 3 man models.

Last thing to mention... as we all know a 1 man tent means somewhere to sleep period. Gear goes in the vestibule. A 2 man means room for 2 and no gear or 1 man, a little gear and room to cook. 3 man means room for 2 people with a little space or a 1 man luxury suite. To me that Big Agnes is a 1 man with a little room because you can only sit up in the center. Something to think about.

It all comes down to what you want to use it for. I'd use that in a heartbeat if it was just me during the summer.

Can you tell I have been tent shopping? lol Winter :roll:
Attachments
Tungsten.jpg
Tungsten.jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 36704 times
Tungsten2.jpg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 24]

As a matter of fact I just pushed the button on the Tungsten 3 for $194.95 with footprint. All your fault elkduds! ;)
Indian Summer

Postby Elkduds » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 25]

Yule bee glad ewe did. I'm after something under 3 #, mostly for just me in fair weather. I always have trekking poles w me while packing. I think I could improvise branches for risers in place of poles. Because of the weight of aluminum poles, all the 2 man domes are over 4#. I would love to have this
http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarDuo.html but it is expensive for only using a few night/year. Have you seen the Lunar Duo?
Elkduds

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 26]

That's different. Never heard of it. Nice wide ceiling. Specs say "weight doesn't include stakes or poles AND poles not included." Huh. Looks like it'd be nice for warmer weather. I'll cook in the Marmot if it gets too hot out. When I camp I always have my fly up. Except when I go out to pee of course.... then I have my fly down for a little bit. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby bald9eagle » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 27]

I just bought the SMD Lunar Duo. I'll let you know what I think about it. Mostly I wanted a quality shelter under $200. I know I could have got a cheap tent but the SMD tent seemed a good blend of price and quality.

I hope the wife doesn't start asking what the trip is costing me. I might have been better off just going with an outfitter. :D
bald9eagle

Postby husky390 » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 28]

That's a helluva deal on the Tungsten 2. I used one last season and like it a lot. It's easy to setup and roomy. I can fit my pad on one side, pack, bow, and boots on the other. The only issue I had was condensation one night when the temps dipped into the upper teens but I think that was because I forgot to open the vent. Since then, no issues.
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

Last Name: B

Postby Ghost » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 29]

We use the Alps Lynx 4, 7lbs 9oz, its a little heavy but it has 64 square feet of interior room, enough space for everything.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Postby Indian Summer » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 30]

husky390 wrote:That's a helluva deal on the Tungsten 2.

Actually I bought the Tungsten 3. I had a really good buying experience with Backcountry dot com today. I had been looking at a Limelight on eBay. I had no idea at the time that they had the wrong picture on the listing. I found a better price on Backcountry so I bought it there. Later I got to looking at some other pictures of the Limelight and realized that because of the wrong pic I ordered the wrong tent.

I had been tracking the tent and it was to be delivered tomorrow. So I went to Backcountry's website and got on live chat. The first thing I did was ask what their return/exchange policy was. They said full refund for any reason. So then I explained what happened and asked if I could refuse the delivery and return to sender so I didn't have to pay return shipping. They said hold on. 30 seconds later they said they reversed the shipping and tomorrow it would be on it's way back to them.

Then they asked if they could process a new order for the correct tent... the Tungsten. I said well actually since I realized what model I wanted I shopped around and found it cheaper. A lot cheaper. Their price, like most everyone else, was about $259. I sent them a link to a competitor and said if you will match their price of $194.95 I'll take it. They didn't even hesitate. Order processed and on the way.

In less than 10 minutes they patched everything up. I was pretty surprised knowing that the tent was actually listed in tracking as on truck for delivery and it's a Sunday.

I love great customer service so I had to do right by them and share my thoughts here. $195 for a Marmot Tungsten 3 with footprint... I'm stoked! :D
Indian Summer

Postby husky390 » 02 07, 2016 •  [Post 31]

Nice. That's a way better experience than I had with campsaver.com. I'll never buy from them again.
husky390

Postby Indian Summer » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 32]

Good to know. After I ordered from Backcountry I got a phone call from Ian. Customer Reacher Outer. lol He said just calling to see if there was even a single ting you don't like about buying from us so we can make sure you are totally happy. Put my number in your contacts and if anything ever goes wrong call me direct and I will fix it. Pretty cool.

I rarely buy outside of eBay. On there I have the eBay money back guarantee plus the safety of using Paypal. But I was happy to use my Alaska Airlines card and rack up another 200 miles with them. Last week I bought an onXmaps Wyoming Premium card from a guy on Rokslide. $60 to my door. Couldn't pass it up. You have to be careful on classifieds but he let me use Paypal so again I'm covered.

If an online company isn't treating people right I don't know how they expect to last. The place they sell is the same place people spread the word about whether they are good or they suck. Hello!

Campmor is pretty good. I bought my Marmot Halo 6 from them. They sometimes have "soiled returns" for sale too.
Indian Summer

Postby jmez » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 33]

Elkduds wrote:Golden oldie thread here. Looking @ a used BA Scout 2 for light overnights. 1 or 2 bodies. Any owner comments?

Guy I hunt with has/had one. Has used it for three years now. Won't use it a fourth. We had some bad wind this pas year and it didn't hold up. Wind pretty much shredded it. Blew it down flat once. Re set it up and the trekking pole pushed through the reinforced area and then the fabric continued to tear around that. No longer usable. He also had a problem a couple years ago. Blew down in a rainstorm and ended up full of water on the inside.

Takes a lot of stakes to keep the tent up. If the soil isn't right it will fold up in the wind. This year in all the wind we finally had to go out and gather a bunch of big rocks and tie all the guy lines to rocks and or nearby deadfall. Stakes were pulling out of the ground.

I'd take a look at the various Tarptent models from Henry Shires. On out trip this year, out of three tents, only one did not get blown flat and ruined. Tarptent Double Rainbow. They are reasonably priced, lightweight and very well made.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby 2MANY » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 34]

Montana Canvas 12' x 17' real-lite with a wood stove.

Don't leave home without it!!!
2MANY

Postby Elkduds » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 35]

Thanks Jason, an actual user report is money. Tarptents look good. Bald9, you must have got the Outfitter for that price?
Elkduds

Postby husky390 » 02 08, 2016 •  [Post 36]

Indian Summer wrote:

If an online company isn't treating people right I don't know how they expect to last. The place they sell is the same place people spread the word about whether they are good or they suck. Hello!

Campmor is pretty good. I bought my Marmot Halo 6 from them. They sometimes have "soiled returns" for sale too.

No complaints with Campmor. They've been GTG. Campsaver never bothered to answer my email regarding a faulty Exped sleeping mat. Last time I buy from them or an Exped product. I'll stick with my Big Agnes Q-core from here on out.
husky390

Postby bald9eagle » 02 09, 2016 •  [Post 37]

Yup. Lunar Duo Outfitter. My buddy is carrying one of those $15 WalMart specials. We will see after a few days which one of us is happier ;)

There were a lot of good options around the $200 mark. I just didn't want to break the bank since I'm also having to get a bag, pad, pack, new arrows, new broadheads, clothing, boots, and accessories.

To date...
Boots - $300 Meindl's
Binos - $150 Vortex (caught them on sale)
Bag(s) - $125 Badlands 2200 and $220 Erberlestock Dragonfly (caught one on camofire)
Pants - $120 First Lite Merino Kanab
Tent - $160 Six Moons Lunar Duo.
Maps - $80 Startmyhunt.com

I really am kind of addicted to gearing up...hehe.
bald9eagle

Postby Indian Summer » 02 09, 2016 •  [Post 38]

Cookstove? I'd suggest a Jetboil. They're awesome.

Your partner is going to be sleeping in your tent if it gets ugly out. I buy some items from Wally World but NOT my tent or sleeping bag.Tthose are serious survival items. You might not die out there but you won't have a good hunt if you are cold and or wet at night or losing sleep for any reason.

Make sure he takes a tarp!!!
Indian Summer

Postby bald9eagle » 02 09, 2016 •  [Post 39]

I'm planning on packing at least one tarp myself. I'm not sure his tent is of the Wally World type but I do know it's not one of the more expensive type. After I to,d him that I bought a tent Sunday he said he'd just stick with his $15 tent.

I'm looking at the Jetboil system. I'm waiting to see if my buddy wants to split the cost or not. It's not that steep so I may just get it myself.
bald9eagle

Postby Elkduds » 02 09, 2016 •  [Post 40]

No complaints ever RE my MSR Pocket Rocket stove and Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter.
Elkduds

Postby bald9eagle » 02 10, 2016 •  [Post 41]

My tent arrived today. It was small enough that "it fit and shipped" via USPS instead of FedEx or UPS. Haven't had a chance to put it up yet but I did unroll it in the house. I like it.
bald9eagle

Postby Elkduds » 02 12, 2016 •  [Post 42]

Indian Summer wrote:I have a Halo 6 man. The "halo" is a pole that runs all the way around the tent at the top of the walls. You pull the walls outward and clip them to the halo which makes them literally vertical. Tons of room!

Joe, any pics of that Halo 6 in action, and a user review? Looking @ the Mtn Hardwear Hoopla 4 which is similar.
Also hoping for pics/feedback on Baldy's Lunar Duo Outfitter. Thanks in advance, guys 8-)
Elkduds

Postby Indian Summer » 02 13, 2016 •  [Post 43]

Key West, Sturgis, Wyoming. Used it in Alaska for 10 days too. It's covered some miles. I really like the tent.
Attachments
0312151524.jpg
SturgisCamp.jpg
IMG_0252.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
Indian Summer

Postby Elkduds » 02 15, 2016 •  [Post 44]

Nice hogan! I thought you were referring to something like this:

hoopla tent.png
hoopla tent.png (103.16 KiB) Viewed 36527 times
Elkduds

Postby Wyoklaelk8 » 02 21, 2016 •  [Post 45]

BA Scout ii. I got it to keep saddles out of rain if needed. Single wall tent can have some condensation in the morning, but nothing a shamwow camp/shower towell doesn't take care of. With poles its right around 3 lbs.
Attachments
IMG_20160221_102204.jpg
IMG_20160221_102204.jpg (130.85 KiB) Viewed 36486 times
Wyoklaelk8

Postby Elkduds » 02 21, 2016 •  [Post 46]

I shopped a lot and decided on MSR Fast Stash. A single wall hybrid between tent and tarp, like the BA Scout above. Being all about the bargain, when STP put it on clearance I surfed for a coupon. STP retail store in CO Springs had some, cost a C note. BTW, very nice store, helpful folks.
IMG_0573small.jpg
IMG_0573small.jpg (212.08 KiB) Viewed 36474 times

Compared to freestanding tents this thing is huge, 4 feet tall. 2 plus a big dog can easily sit inside w elbow room, in case of monsoon. Weight is 3# if you opt for trekking poles. Wife suggested I sleep in it tonight :roll:
Elkduds

Postby cwade3085 » 03 11, 2016 •  [Post 47]

I'm looking into replacing my current tent with a tarptent stratospire 2.
cwade3085

Postby Viamoutdoors » 03 11, 2016 •  [Post 48]

Check out our Glacier peak shelter, we can put a stove jack in it too if you would like!
http://www.viamoutdoors.com/#!product-p ... c4e36020da
Viamoutdoors
Site Sponsor