Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Outdoor toilet

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Outdoor toilet

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 1]

I expect my wife, daughters and grand daughter will be at elk and moose camps this year.
While they are all capable of finding a tree we may be using the camps for many weeks.
So far my only idea is a plywood box with a toilet seat mounted on top. The idea of renting a port-a-potty is out
With a larger community what do you hunters do
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Outdoor toilet

Postby Gypsumreaper » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 2]

Guy we hunted with last year bought one of the Davis tent bathroom tents. He then had a plywood deal to sit on and dug a hole underneath. Was a pretty cool setup. It had a plywood floor and his plywood box thing had little latches to connect them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Yes sir, a real honest to goodness commode is gold at a camp (particularly if you're there for a while).

1. Minimalist: "That side of the road/trail is yours, this side is mine; don't forget to dig a cat hole and bury". :D

2. Level two: Grab one of those portable seat/bucket things with the plastic sacks in them and place is back away from camp a bit. You've gotta throw those "used" bags in a big plastic garbage sack and take them out with you (gross). :?

3. Level three: Grab an old solid plastic lawn chair (not one with slats in the bottom), or, buy a new one from Wally World. Cut a toilet size hole in the seat of the plastic chair. Dig a 12-18" deep, 6-7' long trench back of back somewhere (make sure you pile the dirt you take out right by the trench). Place the chair over the trench at one end and as a customer uses the chair/trench, they bury their business with the dirt on hand and move the chair a bit down the trench. 8-).

4. Level four: Pretty much required with gals at camp. Just like you said; built a 3' deep by 4' wide by 3' tall plywood box with a toilet seat mounted on the top. If at all possible, get to camp site and dig your hole prior to season. At a minimum, overhead cover must be considered and perhaps, walls. We're talking about the kind of camp commode that talks to you and sais....... "pull up a chair camper, and make it a double"! :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JimKirk » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 4]

just for the convenience of digging a hole once i have one of those pop up shelters about 35$ off amazon and a portopotty that hold blue water in one tank and waste in the lower tank. dig a deep hole if it needs emptying. if i had females in camp i d jave that setup to. i think i did get the portopotty for about 50$ when i had a gf that went hunting with me one year. that said i deployed the jewel last weekend and found it much nicer than holding a log.
JimKirk

First Name: kirk

Postby Gypsumreaper » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 5]

My dad did buy one of those little pop up shower things off sportsmans guide last year when we went and he deployed the bucket with the bag technique. I said heck no and cut the bottom outa the bucket dug a good hole and borrowed some like from our hunting buddy. Also an ammo can or a coffee can will save ur tp from the squirrels and mice and water nothing like getting up at 2 am to do ur business and tp is either soaked or all chewed up

Gypsumreaper

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Wamboldt

Postby Lefty » 08 21, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Gypsumreaper wrote:My dad did buy one of those little pop up shower things off sportsmans guide last year when we went and he deployed the bucket with the bag technique. I said heck no and cut the bottom outa the bucket dug a good hole and borrowed some like from our hunting buddy.,...

I bet there is a ton of " not so great " stories
As a kid our mom insisted we have one of those folding seats with bag things,..Dont set up in soft soils,.. tipping could be disastrous.
Lefty

Postby Navesgane » 08 22, 2016 •  [Post 7]

A rafting groover- 20mm ammo can. Here's a pricier option
http://search.nrs.com/boating/Groover?u ... li_Groover
Instagram @jeff.reilly1
Navesgane

First Name: Jeff

Postby saddlesore » 08 22, 2016 •  [Post 8]

I have done the 5 gal bucket with bottom cut out,but I have a toilet seat that clamps on it. I usually used poly tarp to fashion a enclosure. Last few years though I have had it easy. I camp at two different trail heads. Each has a new vault toilet
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 08 22, 2016 •  [Post 9]

saddlesore wrote:I have done the 5 gal bucket with bottom cut out,but I have a toilet seat that clamps on it. I usually used poly tarp to fashion a enclosure.

Is a bucket solid enough to stay sitting?

Navegane,..My wife might kill me if I put a bow on it and gave it to here for Christmas. :lol: Ive never seen either. but I know what direction ill go. and a poly tarp
Lefty

Postby Ryan Conkle » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 10]

In camp we have folding toilet, the type that the elderly/handicapped put over their toilet at home, we then dig a nice hole underneath it and set a pop-up blind up over it. The toilet weighs nothing and folds up easily for transport!
Ryan Conkle

Postby Deanmac » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Ryan Conkle wrote:In camp we have folding toilet, the type that the elderly/handicapped put over their toilet at home, we then dig a nice hole underneath. The toilet weighs nothing and folds up easily for transport!

Plan to do the same, expect use a tarp instead of a pop up blind. Also have a powder lime to add to the hole
Deanmac

Postby Elkduds » 08 23, 2016 •  [Post 12]

Deanmac wrote:
Ryan Conkle wrote:In camp we have folding toilet, the type that the elderly/handicapped put over their toilet at home, we then dig a nice hole underneath. The toilet weighs nothing and folds up easily for transport!

Plan to do the same, expect use a tarp instead of a pop up blind. Also have a powder lime to add to the hole

Sounds posh. Mind if I stop by and "sit a spell?" BYOP. The p is for paper, not whatever else you guys were thinking.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Ryan Conkle » 08 24, 2016 •  [Post 13]

The windows in the pop-up blind add a nice ventilation effect and the blind keeps the toilet seat slightly warmer in that cold morning mountain air. lol All fellow elk hunters are welcome to come do a little paperwork. lol
Ryan Conkle

Postby Charina » 08 24, 2016 •  [Post 14]

I got fed up with digging holes in past years. Rocks, roots, etc, and it was often a serious struggle to get enough of a hole to even pee in.

Went with the bags under a folding toilet for the opener this last weekend. Much better! Not too bad to deal with sealing it up at the end and tossing in trash. One little bag was enough for 5 days plus paper.

I see there are 5 gal buckets setup for use with bags that have chemicals pre-added that would be more appropriate for larger groups. One of these 5 gal buckets, a set of bags, and a popup shelter would be the way I would go if I had such guests at camp. So much easier to setup, take down, and store than the plywood throne option of years past I've helped setup.
Charina

Outdoor toilet

Postby husky390 » 08 24, 2016 •  [Post 15]

I have a privy shelter and bought this for my wife to use. Unfortunately we didn't camp this summer so she didn't try out the chair but I can tell you the privy shelter works well with a homemade wooden commode.

husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby huntabsarokee » 08 25, 2016 •  [Post 16]

We do the bucket deal. You can buy poo powder in a large container on Amazon and just use kitchen garbage bags. The powder forms a gel with any liquid. When done they go in a larger contractor bag. Do yourself a favor though and spring for a 6 or 7 gallon bucket the added height is appreciated.

We first did this when supplied by an outfitter on a hunt in the wilderness. We thought no way. But the bag sits on top of the toilet seat and we change bags each time. Not like you are using someone else's bag although you could.
huntabsarokee

First Name: jason
Last Name: rex

Postby Deanmac » 08 25, 2016 •  [Post 17]

Elkduds wrote:
Deanmac wrote:

Sounds posh. Mind if I stop by and "sit a spell?" BYOP. The p is for paper, not whatever else you guys were thinking.

You are welcome, and Paper will be provided in water tight container. LOL
Deanmac

Postby phall » 09 01, 2016 •  [Post 18]

Almost everybody knows somebody or has seen at a yard sell a bedside commode set almost all of them collapse dig hole deep hole so u dont have to move it or get splash back then wrap tarp around 3 trees leave extra tarp for door and roof. Couple bungee cords and done 5 minutes privy for the ladies. Add dirt or saw dust as needed
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby lilshootergirl » 09 02, 2016 •  [Post 19]

You guys have the greatest ideas when it comes to doing your buisness out door port a pottys! , as I don't allow my son in law to use the trailer as he uses too much paper, might plug up my tank! I'm not mean, just don't want my plumbing plugged!! Thank you for all the great ideas and its nice you have already tested them.
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl