Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Favorite New Gear from This Past Season?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2016 •  [Post 1]

We are all buying and trying something new every season in the way of gear. In thinking about Phantom's Christmas with thread I was wondering what your favorite addition was this year.

While we're at it is there anything you tried that won't be making the cut for next year and why not?

I like Caldwell products. Their Lead Sled is hands down the best gun rest for sighting in rifles. Zero recoil even with a .300 Ultra Mag. This year I tried their Dead Shot Field Pod and man I am sold on it. I liked it enough that I'd even strap it on my daypack and consider the added weight to be justified. After all it all comes down to that fraction of a second that can make or break a hunt. It holds my gun well enough to actually extend my range in the field.
Attachments
CaldwellRest.jpg
CaldwellRest.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 5902 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Favorite New Gear from This Past Season?

Postby wawhitey » 12 04, 2016 •  [Post 2]

My water filter. Msr guardian. Thing is awesome. I camped out by a really weak spring during early rifle deer and the deepest water was what was pooling up in the moose tracks, no prob. Drop the pre filter in the hoof prints and pump. Fast and simple.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby njdoxie » 12 04, 2016 •  [Post 3]

Saw your earlier pics of that field pod, looks nice, but I just can't see adding that 5 lbs to my daypack weight, but sure looks like the cats meow. Will you be packing this in 2017? (not talking about a cushy hunt like u just went on either). Does it fold up compact? Doesn't seem practical for all day hunts when your covering ground in steep terrain.

I love their led sled, just wish it shot to the same poi as shooting off bags...but it's excellent for getting it close, and then fine tuning the sight in from bags.
njdoxie

First Name: Guy
Last Name: Carothers

Postby Fridaythe13th » 12 04, 2016 •  [Post 4]

That's easy, my new boots "Meindl" by Cabelas. NO blisters, life is good. The 1st time elk hunting with no blisters.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Mathewsz7-elkridge » 12 05, 2016 •  [Post 5]

Fridaythe13th wrote:That's easy, my new boots "Meindl" by Cabelas. NO blisters, life is good. The 1st time elk hunting with no blisters.

I will second that! Hiked 72 miles in seven days no blisters loved mine as well.
Mathewsz7-elkridge

Postby Brendan » 12 06, 2016 •  [Post 6]

Two items that stick out for me are my Helinox Cot Lite, and my Helinox ground chair. They made my solo spike camp comfortable - which goes a long way in keeping you going for 10-12 days. Don't think I could carry them if I had camp on my back every day, but for a spike camp - they were worth it.

In terms of base camp - I had a couple days of heavy rain. I retreated back to my 10x14 kodiak canvas with Nu-Way propane stove. It might be overkill for a solo hunter who spent most of his time in a spike camp, but it's hard to explain how nice it was after 8 days of hard hunting with the rain coming down to be sitting in a big, warm, dry tent like that for a couple nights...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 12, 2016 •  [Post 7]

I was styling my Wapiti Talk hat (seemed to work just fine) and got some winks of approval from a few elk (well, as they showed me their south end while heading north) ;)

Slumberjack Overland 8 tent was my new abode for elk base camp in 2016; worked just fine and dandy and very spacious.
Slumberjack Big Lux Cot to rest my weary bones at night. Really nice, comfortable, oversized cot for base camping. Used my backpack Thermarest mattress on it but am gonna get a non-inflatable full size mattress for it prior to next season.
EXO 3500 worked like a charm! Can't say enough positive things about the Exo pack. Didn't get to pack any real weight in it though as the elk gods did not smile on me this year :roll:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 12 12, 2016 •  [Post 8]

My midlayer Sitka hoodie. It works fantastic for sleeping in cold weather: zip it up as it gets colder, put the hood over my head, zip up the face mask for more warmth. Super comfy.
It works fairly well for a mid layer too.

I bought a motion sensor LED light at Costco. Adds a nice touch to camping,..wave my hand in front of the sensor, then take a walkto relieve ourselves
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkduds » 12 13, 2016 •  [Post 9]

CVA Optima muzzleloader. Not surprisingly, light years ahead of my Lyman Deerstalker Hawken.

Vasque Erikkson boots, as discussed in Waterproof Boots thread here.

Coleman auto-ignite propane lantern. Replacing older Coleman kerosene pump-up lantern.

Core4 Element softshell jacket w Moonstone puffer under.

2006 Honda Ridgeline.

Ttheron Saker spotting scope/Glass It Up camera adapter.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby husky390 » 12 14, 2016 •  [Post 10]

Sitka Mountain pants have got to be my favorite purchase this year, especially since I bought them for 1/2 price from the Cabelas bargain cave. I like them so much I'd pay full price for another pair if they ever need to be replaced.

Second would be my 10'x14' Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow tent.

90 Jeep Cherokee. I put a lot of time and some money into it to bring it back to life but it was worth it.

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161214/5e9764ced959948ac716951d11246dff.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 15, 2016 •  [Post 11]

I bought 3 new backpacks of differing sizes this year. I am loving the two Eberlestock packs: F1 frame with Transformer Pack and a X2 pack. I also just bought a North Face Inferno -20 sleeping bag that I am hoping to use on a bivy hunt this weekend. It seems good. I hope it is as warm as it looks.
VT Sasquatch

Postby CurlyTail » 12 19, 2016 •  [Post 12]

Helionox Ground Chair was a hit for me

Sitka Kelvin Vest

Hoyt Nitrium 35 bow
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2016 •  [Post 13]

The Helinox chair seems to be a winner. I love mine. As with lots of things I found the best online price I could which was on eBay and Backcountry matched it. I like buying from them. They match prices and have a solid guarantee on everything they sell.

I also like my Back Diamond headlamp with the lock feature so it doesn't turn on in my pack.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro