Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2 Blade

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2 Blade

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I have always used 3 blade heads, but was thinking of starting with 2 blade this year. How many use the 2 blades and to you like them better then the 3 &4 blades?
Elkhunttoo

Re: 2 Blade

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I have used two blade broadheads in the past. I do not think they were as good especially with modern carbon fiber arrows. The two blade BHs are sturdy and can be re-sharpened, but the big blade out front steers the arrow too much. This was not the same issue on older, heavier wood and aluminum arrows. You want your broadheads to hit where your field points do. In addition, I can't say a two blade BH will cause the massive bleeding a three or four blade does either. Just my thoughts.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Lots in my group use and love 2 blade stingers. #1 They fly great, #2 they penetrate better than anything. Other pluses are easy to sharpen, pretty tough, and if you use stingers, Magnus has a lifetime guarantee that is priceless. I mentioned on another thread that we use 2 blades for elk, but will go four on bear and deer where you don't need quite as much penetration.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby baddaddy » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I use a 2 blade single bevel outback broadhead. They fly just fine and hit with my FP's. I do use a 4 inch fletch with mine.
baddaddy

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 27, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Watching this one...........
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Brendan » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I used Solid Broadheads one season, they have small bleeders, but essentially a 2-blade. They flew very accurately for me. Didn't get to put one through an Elk, did the job on a wild pig though busting right through, out the other side and off into the woods never to be seen again. Unfortunately, very expensive...
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby six » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Another Magnus user here. I shoot 2-blade stingers with the bleeder blades. Technically a 4-blade. Complete pass threw liver shot at 47 yards on a cow last year. She flinched, but still stood there. 2nd shot buried into the off side shoulder bone about 1 inch. I really had to pry hard with my knife to get it out of the shoulder. They both are still usable however the shoulder shot one would take some work to get a couple gouges out of it. Lifetime warranty is nice too.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Beendare » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 8]

A 2 blade BH is an easy way to increase the penetration of a low energy light arrow setup.

The 2 blade has more mechanical advantage than the other designs. I had a discussion with Woody who used to do the testing for Magnus shooting hundreds of roadkill moose and such then examining wound channels. He was convinced the 2 blade is more effective than any other design...and he said the Buzzcuts consistently cut better than any other heads he tested. Its a bit counter intuitive....until you hold one in your hand....those chisel serrations are wicked.

I've shot pigs, bears and deer with 2 blades...haven't shot an elk with them yet.....but I wouldn't hesitate as they are tailor made for that application. There is speculation that the 2 blade wound seals...but In my experience, a blood trail is more dependent on how high or low the arrow is in the animal. Plus, the 2 blade is more likely to give you 2 holes [an advantage] and they go through the animal so fast they just stand there not knowing they have even been hit [especially with a quiet bow]

I went to the VPA 2 and 3 blade 150's, both tune the same in my compound and recurve. That VPA 150 is strong as hell.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Beendare wrote:A 2 blade BH is an easy way to increase the penetration of a low energy light arrow setup.

The 2 blade has more mechanical advantage than the other designs. I had a discussion with Woody who used to do the testing for Magnus shooting hundreds of roadkill moose and such then examining wound channels. He was convinced the 2 blade is more effective than any other design...and he said the Buzzcuts consistently cut better than any other heads he tested. Its a bit counter intuitive....until you hold one in your hand....those chisel serrations are wicked.

Great thread and discussion! Now I'm pondering that with my reduced bow poundage/arrow weight this year, I may want to try out the two blades to maximize my setup's effectiveness.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Have you two blade hunters found one that is as accurate as a short three or four blade BH? I have had Satellite and Bear Razor Heads and they were less accurate for me. I attribute it to the large front of center flat sail that they are. If they are accurate for you, do you hit in the same location as your field points or do you adjust your sight to compensate? I agree that penetration should be better as you are cutting less per inch as it passes through an animal, but in the end does it cut more tissue, arteries and veins? It could mean the difference between a complete pass through and greater internal bleeding.
Swede

Postby jmez » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I tried some two blade heads, both the Helix and the Magnus Black Hornet. Both flew well for me. They shot the exact same as slick trick magnums and slick trick razor tricks.

They are more finicky to tune but should fly well out of any setup.

What I found initially they didn't impact quite the same as my fixed blade heads. I tuned the bow to the two blade heads and then when I would go back to the fixed blades they were spot on as well.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 12]

OK, so I'm an impulse shopper ;) . I just ordered a 3 pack of the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts to play around with on the new bow. Will let you folks know how they fly. It seems that they do pretty well from the VID I found on their webpage.

WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkhunttoo » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 13]

Thanks for the replys. I will probably use my fixed 3's this year because I have plenty. But the next time I buy I will be really tempted to get the 2 blades. I'm wondering now if I shouldn't get some for my wife with her setup anyway
Elkhunttoo

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2017 •  [Post 14]

There are a lot of theories on what makes a good or great broadhead. There is no one perfect solution, and this subject will probably be argued forever. Some argue you need a cut to the tip broadhead. Some say, use a chisel point that will break ribs they come in contact with. Still others use a modified version somewhere in between. Some folks want the smaller winged broadheads and believe they fly better and don't plane as much. That has been my observation. I am waiting to see what RJ's experience will be, as it will cost me nothing to learn from his expense and experience. I am assuming he will post the results of his experience with those new Stingers when he runs his test with them. Maybe he made a good purchase. Maybe he got stung.
Swede

Postby Dr. Rx » 03 01, 2017 •  [Post 15]

love my Magnus blades...
Dr. Rx

Postby 82ndreddevil » 03 01, 2017 •  [Post 16]

This thread makes me think of an episode of Primos with Micheal Waddell. He made a shot on a bull that was low and back but they recovered the bull quickly. He started talking it up about how great his broadhead is. He even said that a good broadhead doesn't just work on well placed shots, but it will work on those marginal shots too. I'm gonna say that I don't buy into this theory so I'm gonna just stick with a broadhead that shoots accurately with my set up. that being said I personally would have no issue with either a 2,3, or 4 blade broadhead if it shot well.
82ndreddevil

Postby ishy » 03 02, 2017 •  [Post 17]

FYI-Anyone hunting Idaho serrated blades are illegal. I haven't checked for a couple years, but it was on the books a couple years ago. We lead the world in out dated rules! I think it took 5 years of every outdoor stores selling only 85% let off bows before we changed that one.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 02, 2017 •  [Post 18]

ishy wrote:FYI-Anyone hunting Idaho serrated blades are illegal. I haven't checked for a couple years, but it was on the books a couple years ago. We lead the world in out dated rules! I think it took 5 years of every outdoor stores selling only 85% let off bows before we changed that one.

I'll definitely check into that Bryan, thanks.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2017 •  [Post 19]

Darn nasty looking beast right there (I can see how this would ruin an elk's day, no doubt)..... will try to get out this weekend and see how they fly. Oh, this is the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut.

IMG_3912_JPG.jpg
IMG_3912_JPG.jpg (145.13 KiB) Viewed 11623 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 04, 2017 •  [Post 20]

You're going to love them RJ. And if you have a KME broadhead sharpener they will be so sharp your eye lashes will fall off just from looking at them.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 04, 2017 •  [Post 21]

>>>---WW----> wrote:You're going to love them RJ. And if you have a KME broadhead sharpener they will be so sharp your eye lashes will fall off just from looking at them.

Sweet, another piece of gear to order :D. The KME's look like the real deal. There are several models, which one do you recommend getting?
WapitiTalk1

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 05, 2017 •  [Post 22]

All I have is the one with the angled jaws. I think you get straight jaws also if you buy the kit. Since I only sharpen my Stingers with the KME the angled jaw one is all I need. I use it along with a fine DMT diamond hone. If you have your own stones already, don't waste your money on the complete kit. The jig is all you need, I saw it on Amazon for $50-$55.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 03 08, 2017 •  [Post 23]

the only true 2 blade I have hunted with were anarchy heads, they flew awesome, only used them one year, but the elk I shot with one almost didn't leave it's tracks before dying...it was impressive. I quit using them because they are all but impossible to pull from a target, and rust really easy...still a great head.

I have also hunted a couple 2 blades with bleeders, magnus ser razors, and magnus buzz cuts. I used the buzz cuts quite a few years ago, they shot really well, the season I used them I killed a buck and a bull with them, both pass throughs with short, easy to follow blood trails...in my small sample size, they were great.

the last 2 seasons I have shot ser razors, again with great results...both took 2 arrows, one tipped over where it stood draining blood, and the other was a bad first shot with a long follow up shot that was on point, but had to run through a couple ribs way up by the spine, and still made it to the vitals, and ended it quick.

this year I will be shooting ser razors, and iron will heads, both 2 blades with bleeders. I have really been liking 2 blades the last few years, and they have treated me very well...treating elk horribly though.

i am not sold on the single bevel idea, double bevels kill quick, and come out of targets easy...i do have a few kudu point at home though, they seem like another good option, i just don't love single bevels much.
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 03 14, 2017 •  [Post 24]

Call me slow - I've been on wapititalk for almost 2 years and don't think I've ventured onto this gear/weapons tab until now... thanks in part to Bruce's post on arrows, I've ventured over here now. As a matter of fact I just sent him a PM last night asking this very question and then, here it is already out and being discussed.

Both my boys shoot the 2 blade magnus stingers with the 2 bleeder blades so I guess it's kind of a 4 blade. My oldest boy has killed 2 whitetails with them - his only ones with a bow at age 14 and 15. He draws 53# and has had complete pass throughs on both shots with less than 50 yard blood trails on both bucks. I won't let them shoot anything else even though he begs to shoot a rage now in spite of his success with the magnus - that's a whole different topic that could sidetrack any good thread. I need to get his bow properly tuned, that's his biggest gripe - the Magnus don't hit anywhere close to field points, but do group once you adjust the pins. Our local bow-shop says his bow is tuned just fine, so...time for me to try my amateur hand at bow tuning, this could get interesting.

I shoot the old 2 blade magnus stingers - the ones with a non vented blade (125 grain) out of my longbow and recurve but am contemplating using them this year out of my new Bowtech Prodigy. I figure I'm going to try the "heavier arrow thing" (thanks Bruce...) and try to get up close to 500 with my arrow weight but I am also wondering about shooting these broad-heads out of a "faster" bow. Figure I should be hitting around 270 fps with the heavy arrow. Do any of you have any experience with the 2 blade magnus out of a faster bow? Any issues with planing, etc...

One last thing - I've got the KME sharpening system, and for whatever reason I cannot get my Magnus heads as sharp as I'd like them. I'm trying it with the 22 degree angle, but just am not satisfied with the edge. I start with the 300 grit stone and work my way up to the 1500 grit but just am not happy, I want it to cut my finger if I just lightly run it over my skin - is that logical or not? Any pointers? I feel like I'm mentally challenged when it comes to getting a good edge on my knives and broadheads as everyone else I hear is like WW and swear by the KME.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Roosiebull » 03 14, 2017 •  [Post 25]

old school, they will fly plenty good at that speed, they are a forgiving head from what I have seen, I have shot the buzz cuts at 301 fps, and they shot great. couple that with a heavy arrow, and that will be an easy combo to tune, to get same POI as field points.
Roosiebull

Postby Old school » 03 14, 2017 •  [Post 26]

Roosiebull - thanks for the response. I'm kind of guessing at the speed, It has an IBO of mid 330's on the "comfort" setting, so if I'm shooting 29" draw length and 65# with a high 400's arrow weight, I was guessing I'd be in the 270's somewhere.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby phall » 03 18, 2017 •  [Post 27]

Check out solid broadheads. Lifetime guarantee easy to sharpen and choose your bleeder size. Only problem is they are pricey however considering the materials and guarantee they are worth the shot. Im not one of the guys that tests all these heads i just read a lot of amateur and professional reviews some publishesd others on forums. Solid gets high ratings everytime. Personally never shot them but will soon. Been shooting exodus for several years and they are accurate, fairly tough, moderately sharpl, and penetrate well but not on par with some other heads discussed in this thread like buzzcuts and slick or vipe trick
phall

First Name: patrick
Last Name: hall

Postby Beendare » 03 20, 2017 •  [Post 28]

Old school wrote:
One last thing - I've got the KME sharpening system, and for whatever reason I cannot get my Magnus heads as sharp as I'd like them.
--Mitch

No doubt sharpening is an art. I've had good luck touching up 2 blade heads like the VPA's or stingers/Buzzcuts on the "V" shaped chock stick systems. I put the head on a short piece of arrow. Its easier on a head without the bleeder blades. Sharpening is all about holding a consistent angle but the chock sticks make it easy.

Some of the jig type systems don't hold the blade tight enough to keep that consistent angle...if it moves even a tiny bit it just doesn't get them as sharp.

This is one of the reasons I don't like the stamped thin replaceable blades...hard to resharpen. The best technique i've found for those is putting them in vise grip pliers against a sharpening wheel.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 03 20, 2017 •  [Post 29]

Oldschool - to get the last fine edge, try a Leather Strop with some Herbs Yellowstone polishing compound. Worked for me.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Old school » 03 20, 2017 •  [Post 30]

Thanks guys. I'll try that.
Old school