Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

"Over-nighters"

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

"Over-nighters"

Postby NorthIDTLH » 04 09, 2017 •  [Post 1]

This year I'd like to have the option to stay out over night. I normally set up my wall tent and go out in the morning and come back in the evening at some point...which is what I'm guessing most people do. For a multitude of reasons, I'd like to be equipped to hunker down and stay out all night. Be it to call after dark, maybe because I got an animal down and don't want to leave, or maybe I just hiked too far to get back before dark.

My question to the forum is what equipment would be necessary to do this. I'm hunting alone, in mid September in Idaho...so mild weather and I probably won't be packing a sleeping bag around. I'm not opposed to sleeping on the ground, but I like the idea of a cheap, packable hammock.

Any ideas?
NorthIDTLH

Re: "Over-nighters"

Postby Brendan » 04 09, 2017 •  [Post 2]

If you're not packing a pad and bag - you probably don't want to be in a hammock - not enough insulation up off the ground with the air circulating around you.

At the very least when I'm out I have a small tarp that can be pitched with my trekking poles, then I have my puffy and rain gear. So worst case - I put on my puffy, put on all my rain gear, and get inside the tarp to stay out of the wind and any rain. I'd probably also empty my backpack and put my feet and lower legs into the pack for a little extra insulation or stuff it full of some stuff to use as a sleeping pad. That said - It could still be pretty uncomfortable and you might not get that much sleep, and you'd need to make sure you have some backup food.

If I was planning on being out - I'd just bring the pad, bag or quilt, lightweight bivy sack and food in addition to what I listed above. That's less probably an additional 5lbs with an extra day of food?
Brendan

First Name: Brendan

Postby Swede » 04 09, 2017 •  [Post 3]

Personally I would leave the hammock at camp too. I agree with what Brendan suggested. Assuming it is dry weather you could stay out one night with some extra food and a good coat. I have done that. A space blanket might be helpful.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby husky390 » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I carry a Kifaru Paratarp and either my puffy coat or Hill People Gear Serape for this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
husky390
Wapiti Hunting - Logistics Consultant

First Name: Dave
Last Name: B

Postby Indian Summer » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Brendan is spot on. It is as important to have something under you as it is to have cover on to. Trade the hammock which circulates air under you for a sleeping pad. An inflatable such as the Downmat Exped9 is really small when deflated and has the highest R value of any ad on the market. And just as he also mentioned you will have layers for all hunting conditions so you can skip the sleeping bag but you'll need cover of some sort be it an inexpensive tarp strung up with paracord which you should be packing anyway or something a bit more sophisticated like Husky carries. Don't forget the fire starter, Jetboil, and Mountain House meal!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Heartwood » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I prefer to pack minimal extra cloths and bring a down bag, bivy and somtimes a pad. If the weather turns really bad I crawl in the bivy and ride it out. My goal is to keep the weight down so I can hunt unencumbered. Pack some jerky and Mountian House but no stove. Just add water and let it hydrate for a few hours.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Lefty » 04 10, 2017 •  [Post 7]

My father-in-law use to put caches out where he hunted
Cheap feather military bags, tarp, food, fire "stuff"
I mentioned on another tree stand hunting thread I sold my "cache" where I deer hunted
I have two locations prepped for overnighter Firewood and a quick place for a shelter.
If I continue to hunt the same place I may set up camp location , hike in Friday night And be ready at first light. Haul everything in before season. A good warm dry place to sleep, food, water.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 8]

We have been thinking of doing a spike out as well. Our plan was to put a sleeping bag, pad and small tent on our pack frames with our daypack as well and bring them to the area we want to hunt. Then we drop the pack frame and grab the daypack and hunt all day. This isn't a great idea if you have no idea where you will end up but if you are going to stay in one general area I think it will be great.
Tigger

Postby adamds22 » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Kind of the same thing I am debating Trigger, only downside is if there aren't elk in the area you're kind of screwed.
adamds22

Postby >>>---WW----> » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 10]

Worse case option: Put a 55 gal. garbage bag in your pack. Fill it up with leaves or grass and use it for a pad. It will provide insulation from the cold ground as well as a soft mattress. Then put on your jacket and rain gear and pitch your tarp as Brendan suggested and it should help you make it through the night. My tarp weights 13 ounces and the garbage bag practically nothing.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby CurlyTail » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 11]

What you are describing has a couple of fancy names.. some guys call it bivy hunting or bivying out. Others call it a spike camp or spiking out. Over-nighter seems perfectly adequate as well.

It normally requires some specialized gear unless you really want to rough it. You will need lightweight down sleeping bag, sleeping pad (for insulation, not comfort) which can either be closed cell foam or inflatable (lighter and more compact, less insulation, more prone to failure). You may or may not choose to bring along a lightweight cooking stove and cook kit.
To carry all this gear, you will probably need a larger pack than the typical daypack, preferably one that can haul meat if you happen to be so lucky.

For shelter, you are looking at a few options, one of which is a hammock. Much more comfortable and popular than a hammock is a Bivy sack. Another option is a tarp shelter or even a ultra -lightweight tent. Bivy sacks come in many types from bare bones to deluxe. They are not my cup of tea as I am a bit claustrophobic and like a little more rain protection for my gear. I am using a lightweight tarp with hiking poles. You can pitch it high during good weather, or low during wind or rain. Fits two persons plus gear. Lightweight tyvek floor optional. I am planning on using a lightweight bivy sack plus my tarp for better protection from the elements. That said - if it becomes clear that rain is coming - I will most likely hoof it back to basecamp and skip the bivy out .

If you really want to go bare bones, you could just put on all your layers and jump in a cheap survival bivy to spend the night. That is pretty hard core though, but if you are young and tough, you could certainly get by.

Here is a link to a decent, lightweight survival bivy

http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Outdoors-Longer-Escape-Orange/dp/B0075ZS096/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493222808&sr=8-1&keywords=sol%2Bbivy%2Bsack&th=1

Here is a link to the tarp I like
https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/trailstar/
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby VT Sasquatch » 04 26, 2017 •  [Post 12]

That sounds miserable to me unless you can make some kind of lean-to and keep a fire going. Then again, I get cold easily. I bring a lightweight down bag and a bivi sack, at least, when I intend to spend the night. If it is dry, a big mound of leaves can keep you pretty warm though.
VT Sasquatch

Postby NorthIDTLH » 04 29, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I appreciate the input fellas
NorthIDTLH

Postby Beendare » 05 02, 2017 •  [Post 14]

FWIW, I used to do it every hunt....but now i'm older do it much less with more gear.

If you are young, you can throw in an extra puffy jacket, poncho and a handfull of food and sleep in a deer bed so you can be right there in the AM. I used to do the whole pine bough thing and minimal gear....now I bring my light HS Tarptent 2#4oz, a pad and a handfull of food. It really depends on your level of comfort. In my 30's i could sleep like a baby laying over a log....now [approaching 60] I wouldn't be able to stand up straight for 2 days.

Covering ground is important in many spots...so if you aren't into them where they are supposed to be- grin....move and or spike out.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby 1Elkhunter » 06 28, 2017 •  [Post 15]

This is the only way I hunt elk usually. My camp is on my back. I've had to drop the coin on some pretty spendy UL gear over the years to make it work, but I'm willing to compromise on some comfort to gain mobility. Here is my system...
Shelter/Sleep System... 4 to 6 lbs total.
- Marmot Helium 15 degree down bag in a waterproof sil nylon stiff sack, 2 lbs.
- REI minimalist waterproof bivy sack, 1 lb.
- Big Agnes insulated air core mummy pad, 1lb
- Granite Gear White lighting 10x8 sil. Nylon tarp, stakes and guylines + a piece of tyvek. 2 lbs.
Sometimes I leave the tarp behind, sometimes I don't. If I'm solo I'll usually leave it in truck at the trailhead.
I also pack a Jetboil Sol Ti and one canister of fuel.
I only cook one mountain house a day, eat bars, jerky, nuts for other meals.
I carry aquamira drops instead of a water filter.
I carry a 2 liter platypus hydration bladder.

So as not to turn this into a "what's in my pack" thread, I'll leave it at that but I shoot for a total pack weight of 50 lbs max at pack-in to include a weeks worth of food, fuel and 2 liters of water. My system allows me to drop camp wherever I want to, stay in the backcountry, ghost a heard, whatever the situation dictates. This approach has allowed me to literally hunker down under a heard at sundown and kill a bull at first light. When I find the elk, I can stay with them until I fill my tag, or blow it. But admitedly, I sacrifice a lot of creature comforts, and it can really suck when the weather turns. YMMV
1Elkhunter