Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

So what's the big deal about trekking poles??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

So what's the big deal about trekking poles??

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Outside of being collapsible so you can strap them to your pack when not in use, why would you pay close to $90 bucks or so for a set of them? Seems like you could cut a walking stick when needed for free.

I do have a set of el cheapo WallyWorld ones ($17) that seem to be fine. But I never think to pack them with me.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: So what's the big deal about trekking poles??

Postby Tigger » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I love them when packing out an elk. I don't use them except for that but I always use them with the heavy loads. The more expensive you get the lighter they are and maybe you get a little shock absorber. $20 Costco poles for me.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I have a nice set of Black Diamond, super lightweight, cork handled trekking poles that I picked up a handful of years ago. It seems I use them (or at least one of them) when I just hike and scout but always seem to leave them in my gear bag, in the truck or at camp, when I actually pack in to hunt (or, head back in for subsequent meat pack outs). One of these days I'll actually have to remember to take them on a pack out and see if they make a noticeable difference.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Ive used Black Diamonds. They were cut to size so the guy was stuck with them and they were great on the flat, I could really move
I adjust Our Costco poles as I side-hill or ascend and descend. Great for back packing and hiking but I do not use them hunting ( well packing meat out when I need to).
I use to think trekking poles were a joke! I have severe neuropathy in my legs Poles, my position on poles has changed and help me tremendously with balance and pace.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I use the wife ski poles. I'm saving my money didn't do a dang thing for me, but I I never used them to pack out meat. Just 1 more thing to carry. No thank you.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 6]

They're an amazing tool! They're knee savers, especially in deadfall, and they do double duty as shooting sticks. Biggest mule deer I've shot wouldn't have died if I didn't have a trekking pole to stabilize on. It was about 375 yards, on a steep incline that made prone/sitting shots impossible, and there was no way to sneak closer. I consider them pretty invaluable if hunting steep stuff, especially with a rifle.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lsb » 11 02, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Fridaythe13th wrote:I use the wife ski poles. I'm saving my money didn't do a dang thing for me, but I I never used them to pack out meat. Just 1 more thing to carry. No thank you.

Exactly
Lsb

Postby ElkNut1 » 11 03, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I used them for one hunting season, zero advantage for me in thick timber elk country, didn't use them again. The only real benefit I can see with them is crossing streams/rivers for stability or possibly hunting real open country with little to no downfall. If crossing a stream it's as easy to grab a walking stick from the bank long enough to cross & toss it!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jhg » 11 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I will carry one (1), sometimes. If you are traversing a long tough/steep downslope, a telescoping pole is an amazing asset. You use it to lean in on toward the uphill side. Takes a lot off your legs because you are basically 3 point contact for balance instead of just 2, your legs. Considering a good single pole weighs almost nothing why not take it? But I leave it at the camper cause I am carrying a recurve already. 2nd load of elk quarter? You bet I take it.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I can't say how good they are as I have never owned or used one. It is rare I cut a stick or pole for an assist. Just me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wl704 » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 11]

My cheap cascade poles do double duty:
1) keeping my balance (awkward terrain, water crossing) and helping save my knees (especially on step descents with load)
2) poles for my tarp shelter.
wl704

Postby dreadi » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Asking why would you pay $90 for a pair instead of cutting a walking stick is like asking why would you buy a Remington 700 when a 770 would do just fine.

There is a significant difference in the tools when you're buying in that range. If you're really wanting the least amount of weight with stability that you can afford, you're going to have to pay. Being able to adjust the length of your pole is great when you're walking uneven terrain and are having difficulty. For some people that need stress taken off of their lower joints, they can help a lot. Again, adjusting the length for your terrain really helps.
dreadi

Postby Indian Summer » 11 10, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:I can't say how good they are as I have never owned or used one. It is rare I cut a stick or pole for an assist. Just me.

You mean you don’t use poles going up a tree stand Swede? :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 11 10, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I have a pair of pretty nice Eastons. I wouldn’t pay big bucks for poles. I stole them from Camofire dot com. I rarely carry them but I always wish I had them on steep uphill climbs. Carrying a portion of your weight with your arms makes a really big difference. I regularly break off branches for a walking stick especially going downhill.... especially when packing quarters, especially hind quarters!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby stringunner » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I use them when packing out game or when taking in and taking out heavy loads of tree stand gear. I learned how to use them when I did a trekking trip in the himilayas several years ago. I find them to make a big difference when carrying weight. As Indian Summer said, they can take weight off the legs if used correctly. Some studies say 20-30%. Just another helpful tool for some.
stringunner

Postby jmez » 11 19, 2018 •  [Post 16]

I use them when carrrying a heavy pack. They help for both uphill and downhill. I liken it to walking on a treadmill or stair master using the handles or just swinging your arms freely. Which is easier?
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby lamrith » 11 20, 2018 •  [Post 17]

jmez wrote:I use them when carrrying a heavy pack. They help for both uphill and downhill. I liken it to walking on a treadmill or stair master using the handles or just swinging your arms freely. Which is easier?

^^^
Trecking poles really are not for helping carry the weight, they are a balance thing and help fight off fatigue. Yes in a pinch they can help get you over things or up big steps by taking weight. But their real benefit is taking many/most of the "small" tasks of maintaining your balance in uneven terrain off of your feet/ankles/legs/hips/back and put that work to your arms which are largely unused when hiking. Your back/legs are not having to make constant micro shifts and changes to keep that heavy pack under control, your arms can do it, and more efficiently since they are able to push off a solid base rather than just using gravity/inertia by swinging your arms or twisting your back. They are especially helpful in loose/shifting terrain like rocky or loose hillsides. A short hike out, probably not help much, but if you are a mile+ in with an elk down and have to make multiple trips, every trip will poles will make following trips less punishing than if you did not have them.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 15, 2019 •  [Post 18]

I have a pair in case I ever need to pack a lot of meat. So far, I have never used them. It's a product that I never felt that I had a use for. I have backpacked on and off since my childhood and never felt that I needed poles. Finally, I broke down and bought some to see what I was missing.
VT Sasquatch

Postby saddlesore » 01 16, 2019 •  [Post 19]

I have never used any.I have a nice 1" diameter aspen tree I cut probably 20 years ago that I put a wood screw in the bottom end ,cut off the head and sharpened the shank to a point.If I am not carrying a rifle,some times I use it when hiking. If I am carrying a rifle,I have a collapsible bipod that extends enough that I can use it as a staff
saddlesore

Postby Chad924 » 01 16, 2019 •  [Post 20]

I love trekking poles but will never use them in the elk woods due to unnatural noise they make on everything. I recommend you cut a good 1.25”-1.5” by 4’ hardwood pole to use. Skin the bark off and let them fully dry, when you are really working a bull a nice tough hardwood stick sounds just like antlers when u r raking and beating on the trees while caling. Then if you get one down they can really save the knees on the pack out. Plus as you leave them somewhere you are not out that much cash...
Chad924

Postby Kessler10 » 01 18, 2019 •  [Post 21]

saddlesore wrote:I have never used any.I have a nice 1" diameter aspen tree I cut probably 20 years ago that I put a wood screw in the bottom end ,cut off the head and sharpened the shank to a point.If I am not carrying a rifle,some times I use it when hiking. If I am carrying a rifle,I have a collapsible bipod that extends enough that I can use it as a staff

Roscoe is the best trekking pole money can buy. And makes a much better companion :lol:
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby BobcatJerry » 02 11, 2019 •  [Post 22]

Used them in Colorado for pack in and pack out only, 3.3 miles and bushwacking 2 years ago. Heavy pack, don't think I could have done it without them. Big help for balance with the weight, especially down hill. Can't imagine using them while hunting though, stayed in camp. I used Leki's, my wife found at a thrift store. about $10. They telescope down to about 18-24" when I don't need them, haven't found a stick to do that yet and weigh nothing. There are always those hikers who think they need them for a hike in the metro parks or in the neighborhood who dump them when they lose interest. She has found several sets while thrifting.
BobcatJerry

First Name: Jerry
Last Name: F

Postby six » 02 12, 2019 •  [Post 23]

Love my ski poles I picked up at a resale shop. Little green, black and brown paint with a rattle can and they look great. Great to and from camp and packing meat. I don't hunt with them because I cant shrink them down.

What kind of good quality poles would you guys recommend. Dont want to break the bank but I'm not going to buy them at Walmart either. I checked Costco last weekend but they still have their winter stock out.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Elkduds » 02 12, 2019 •  [Post 24]

Mine are from Costco, Carbon fiber, cam locks (stronger than twist locks), various baskets and tips, nice cork grips. Light, strong, well equipped. About $30.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott