Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gotta Love Classifieds!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gotta Love Classifieds!

Postby Indian Summer » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 1]

I love Sitka clothing. Until you have tried it it’s hard to imagine it’s worth the cost. But if you keep your eyes open you can get good deals. This week I picked up a pair of Sitka Incinerator bibs. They retail for $600. Mine were new with tags for $200. A steal! Make sure you check out the Wapiti Talk classifieds once in awhile.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Gotta Love Classifides!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Wow, nice grab!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 06, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I am envious. I will have to watch the classified forum more. :mrgreen:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Is Sitka worth the money??? I mean great deal on bibs but still $200 for a pair of bibs that is still super expensive.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby VT Sasquatch » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Whether it is worth the money depends on the buyer I think. I have some gear from Sitka, KUIU, First Lite, etc. For me it is worth the money. I tend to get cold easily if I am not moving around. This higher tech clothing helps me pack more layers without being too bulky or heavy. I envy the guys who can hunt all day in freezing temps in a wool shirt jac. For guys like that, I don't think it would be worth the price.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Lefty » 11 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Depends on what a person values or may need and the budget
I use to use mid range framing hammers, my father in law used those $3.00 flea market Chinese hammers

But sometimes just unable to pass on a bargin or discount. A neighbor bought two coil nail guns at Home depot for $45.00 a fantastic price but he will die with them new in the box

I own a couple Sitka base hoodies best thing for sleeping great under a shell back packing. But only because I got the for 45%
My brother use to spend a small fortune on work boots, but bought cheap brandy.
I use Dave smith goose decoys yet shoot $86 a case shotgun goose loads

Today I bought a bunch of Costco base layer top and bottoms at one tenth the cost of my Marino wool
The wool will be used for hunting big game

I would find room in the budget for Joes find
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Is it worth it? Yes. Why? Because it makes me a more efficient hunter. More successful!! I used to look at guys buying Sitka as having more money than brains. I found out real fast I was wrong. When it comes to elk hunting... as in hardcore all season guiding every single day elk hunting I was always a wool guy. The one thing I noticed immediately about Sitka was the ease of movement. It was like hunting naked! The result was that I could literally hunt and hike more miles in a day with less effort and feel much better at the end of the day. There’s a value to that for sure. When a client can’t keep up I think to myself... I bet he’d be on my heels if he was wearing Sitka. It’s a secret weapon!

As far as the bibs go.... I’ll be able to sit in an elevated stand for deer all day. I’ll be warm which means I’ll be alert instead of thinking about bailing out for a hot lunch. My range of movement will be unrestricted so I can bend all the way around to shoot behind me. It’ll also be great for riding a horse up a snowy mountain in the dark. That’s a ch ch chilly thing to do!

I would say that until you’ve tried it there’s no way to know why high end hunting clothing is worth the high end price. Those companies aren’t successful just because people think they look good in that stuff. I love it and I punch more tags because of it period. I don’t know if those bibs are worth 5 or 600 but they are well worth 2.
Indian Summer

Re: Gotta Love Classifieds!

Postby Tigger » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Joe nailed it. Until you have used them, it is hard to explain. We say it is like hunting in your pajamas. Hunting longer and more comfortable is definitely an advantage.

having said all that, if you hunt warmer temps and all you do is sit in a tree stand after a 125 yard walk, I don't think the good stuff is essential. But the harder you hunt and the more extreme in temperatures you hunt in puts you closer and closer to benefitting from quality gear.

I think Joe's point about the companies being successful is more than a fad is right on. Not many people buy expensive clothing for a fad and continue to do it year after year after year.
Tigger

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I'm glad to here it well worth it. I put mountain pants and a hoody on my Christmas list. But I have been pretty naughty this year, maybe Santa had his back turned. :lol:
Fridaythe13th

Postby Indian Summer » 11 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Good choice! My two favorite items are my Mountain pants with knee pads and waterproof seat, and my Ketstream jacket. Those two are absolutely priceless!
Indian Summer

Postby wawhitey » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I just forked over some cash for a full set of sitka incinerator. Bibs, jacket, hat, hand muff, flip mitts, plus a blizzard beanie and neck gaiter. Season opens tomorrow morning. Its going to be cold. This stuff damn well better keep me warm for $1,666.77.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 11 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

My brother has the coat and bibs and loves them. He cannot wear them walking to his stand at even the coldest temps. I cannot wait to hear what you think of them!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 11 10, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Tigger wrote:My brother has the coat and bibs and loves them. He cannot wear them walking to his stand at even the coldest temps. I cannot wait to hear what you think of them!

Still cold. Fml.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

In addition to freezing my butt off, i get back to my truck to find out that the incinerator bibs come with built in holes in the pockets. Not joking. No idea where my keys are. Underneath the snow somewhere. This is just great. Did i mention its cold up here? Maybe ill start a fire. Oh no, cant, cause my matches and lighter are in the bed of my truck, and my canopy is locked, and i dont have my keys because sitka thinks its smart to purposely build holes in their pockets. While im reflecting on the flaws of the incinerator bibs, figure id throw another one out there, unrelated to these bibs leaving me freezing in the mountains after dark without my keys. The bottom of the zipper is way too high. Seriously, the very bottom of the fly is a solid inch or more above the top of my unit. Makes it kinda hard to take a leak. Especially when you take into account the need to wear multiple pairs of long johns to avoid freezing to death. Thats a lot of fancy digging around to do just to take a leak, especially when your hands are numb from cold. I want my money back.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 15]

Holy hell!
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 11 11, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Found my keys, they were laying in the snow about 10 yards from my treestand.
wawhitey

Postby Fridaythe13th » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Well alright then I well take them off my Christmas list.
Is it to soon to pick on you about the size of your man parts. Lol. Just kidding
Maybe that what the hole in your pocket is for, peeing

wawhitey wrote:In addition to freezing my butt off, i get back to my truck to find out that the incinerator bibs come with built in holes in the pockets. Not joking. No idea where my keys are. Underneath the snow somewhere. This is just great. Did i mention its cold up here? Maybe ill start a fire. Oh no, cant, cause my matches and lighter are in the bed of my truck, and my canopy is locked, and i dont have my keys because sitka thinks its smart to purposely build holes in their pockets. While im reflecting on the flaws of the incinerator bibs, figure id throw another one out there, unrelated to these bibs leaving me freezing in the mountains after dark without my keys. The bottom of the zipper is way too high. Seriously, the very bottom of the fly is a solid inch or more above the top of my unit. Makes it kinda hard to take a leak. Especially when you take into account the need to wear multiple pairs of long johns to avoid freezing to death. Thats a lot of fancy digging around to do just to take a leak, especially when your hands are numb from cold. I want my money back.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Whitey, I am pleased you found your keys. See if you can get your money back from Sitka. For far less you can buy some good wool underwear and mid layer.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:Whitey, I am pleased you found your keys. See if you can get your money back from Sitka. For far less you can buy some good wool underwear and mid layer.

Im wearing several layers of good wool (first lite / pendleton / filson) under my sitka stuff. Still freezing.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 20]

You may have spent too much time on the water. It is not exceptionally cold in NE Washington yet. You are not acclimated to your area. It is cold tree stand hunting. I too suffer from living near the coast and hunting inland at 5,000 ft. - 6,000 ft. elevation. It is hard to stay warm even in archery season. I was cold most of the time this year. There was hope your new Sitka was going to be the magic weapon, but I am not shocked that it too is not enough. I have some down that helps, but it is bulky. You could get rid of the Sitka stuff and just use wool. At least it is much more affordable. That ought to give you a nice warm feeling. I guess those Marino muttons are soft and itch free too. Try them :D
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 21]

wawhitey wrote:In addition to freezing my butt off, i get back to my truck to find out that the incinerator bibs come with built in holes in the pockets. Not joking. No idea where my keys are. Underneath the snow somewhere. This is just great. Did i mention its cold up here? Maybe ill start a fire. Oh no, cant, cause my matches and lighter are in the bed of my truck, and my canopy is locked, and i dont have my keys because sitka thinks its smart to purposely build holes in their pockets. While im reflecting on the flaws of the incinerator bibs, figure id throw another one out there, unrelated to these bibs leaving me freezing in the mountains after dark without my keys. The bottom of the zipper is way too high. Seriously, the very bottom of the fly is a solid inch or more above the top of my unit. Makes it kinda hard to take a leak. Especially when you take into account the need to wear multiple pairs of long johns to avoid freezing to death. Thats a lot of fancy digging around to do just to take a leak, especially when your hands are numb from cold. I want my money back.

Maybe you should wear Depends under those fancy hi priced /hi zippered Sitka britches! :o :roll: :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Tigger » 11 12, 2018 •  [Post 22]

Perzactly how cold is it? That sounds nasty! I just got done hunting in a tree stand in pretty cold weather too. I had on thick wool pants and my Sitka on top. The snow was melting on my pants but not my top later that day. Hmmmmmmm. The truck thermometer said 2 degrees when I left the truck well before dawn. I had no problems with the zipper location.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Tigger wrote:Perzactly how cold is it? That sounds nasty! I just got done hunting in a tree stand in pretty cold weather too. I had on thick wool pants and my Sitka on top. The snow was melting on my pants but not my top later that day. Hmmmmmmm. The truck thermometer said 2 degrees when I left the truck well before dawn. I had no problems with the zipper location.

Its not even all that cold yet is the thing. Upper teens / low 20s at night, up to 30-32 during the day. I figured this incinerator stuff, with layers of wool underneath, would be able to keep me reasonably warm in stand. It just doesnt seem any warmer than other hunting clothing ive had. If i sit in my stand all day, from 0540 to 1700, by the end of the day im so clumsy and uncoordinated from cold i can barely climb out of my stand, and cant hardly walk the first quarter mile or so out. Stumbling and making a racket. But yeah, the bottom of my fly ends between my navel and my junk, but other than that they fit perfect. Im just very much not impressed, dont think they live up to the hype, or justify the price. Ill probably just go back to my mackinaw bibs, which i wear rifle hunting, but when im in a treestand bowhunting i want camo. Probably doesnt matter, movement, or lack of it, is more important, but being that close to animals i feel better not having a solid blob of color.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 11 13, 2018 •  [Post 24]

I feel really bad for ya buddy! I have nothing but good to say about the Sitka stuff I have and my brother raves about his Incinerator stuff. I hope that I didn't influence you too much!
Tigger

Postby Old school » 11 14, 2018 •  [Post 25]

Im a sucker for a deal and bought the timberline jacket from a Cabelas bargain cave while we were on vacation this past summer. It was a size M, so my oldest son will get it and when he outgrows it, my younger son will get it. I'm budget minded, but not cheap...I shop for value.

Looks to be a great mountain jacket. Weighs next to nothing and is windproof.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 30, 2019 •  [Post 26]

With the next season coming, don't forget to check those sweet classifieds! I've been dialing in my gear list, both buying and selling across various forums.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 06 30, 2019 •  [Post 27]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:With the next season coming, don't forget to check those sweet classifieds! I've been dialing in my gear list, both buying and selling across various forums.

Keep track of your moron buddies too ,.. the ones getting married, divorced or drunk sometimes purge some great stuff way too cheap because of love or lack of love,other addictions switching hobbies or have those single guys with money burning a hole in their pocket( I hear some already have holes wa?)

When My daughter worked at Sportsman's warehouse there was a local fellow who kept buying new stuff,.. The new camo pattern the new rod, new gun. To the tune of 30 k for 5 consecutive years
Be a friend with a pro staffer,..
I buy most of my camo and gear at sportsman's shows, clearance and proto types, outlet. stores

I am looking for 1000-1200 gram thinsulate high-top gortex leather size 13 W hunting boots :lol:
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 06 30, 2019 •  [Post 28]

Funny to see your post Lefty because the bibs I bought when I originally made this thread came from a guy who bought them new and was now trying to pay for the big giant wedding his girl was planning.

Too bad elk licenses are non-transferable. I bet there would be some good one available every year from poor planners! :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2019 •  [Post 29]

I may be "that guy" soon. I have a hankering for the new Exo Mountain Gear K3 system, which means, I'll probably give some lucky Joe a GREAT deal on my two season old Exo Mountain Gear K2 system (it has all the accouterments).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 07 02, 2019 •  [Post 30]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:I may be "that guy" soon. I have a hankering for the new Exo Mountain Gear K3 system, which means, I'll probably give some lucky Joe a GREAT deal on my two season old Exo Mountain Gear K2 system (it has all the accouterments).

What size :cry:
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 02, 2019 •  [Post 31]

It’s a K2 series, 3500, plenty room for a 4-5 day backpack hunt, carry more meat than a normal guy can carry, and collapses down to the size of a hiccup as a daypack for hunting.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Fridaythe13th » 09 25, 2019 •  [Post 32]

Old post I know, but I asked a question if sitka gear was worth the money? The long sleeve hoody was very nice and fit perfectly but not sure its worth the price. But the pants were heavenly and did make crawling up hills a lot easier a person cooled off faster. Great pants and I'm going to pick up a couple more pair.
Fridaythe13th

Postby Tigger » 09 25, 2019 •  [Post 33]

keep a lookout on Camofire. I have yet to pay retail for Sitka. And yes, they are for sure worth the money when you pay less than Under Armor prices!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 09 27, 2019 •  [Post 34]

Here is some food for thought: Some of the new cloths wick away moisture faster than cotton and are lighter. That may be helpful for hunters on wet days especially. The clothes can be cut to fit looser than the trendy downtown Show Your Butt jeans. The jeans that show off your form bind and are not very flexible. I get looser fitting, nonbinding, lighter pants that will hold up to the rigors of hunting. They are common too.
The antimicrobial properties of the high-end cloths for hunters and hikers contain silver chloride (Nanosilver). Some call it Polygiene. The troubling aspect of silver chloride is that it kills some bacteria. That may sound good, but the downside is that bacteria are very adaptable. We are getting more and more bacteria called super bugs that are very resistant to drugs, soaps and other antibacterial treatments.
I prefer the old fashioned treatment of washing my clothes and my body. It really is all I need.
Swede

Postby RAMMONT » 09 27, 2019 •  [Post 35]

The most common mistake I've seen is that people put so many layers on that they don't have any dead air space between them. The great part about the newer materials is that you can use several layers and not have the bulk of the old wool clothing. I can say with a fair bit of confidence that if the fly on those bibs is too high then you've got too small of a size and you don't have the dead air space needed. Additionally, if the bibs are too small and then you have several layers under that you don't really have the room you should have.
RAMMONT

Postby Indian Summer » 09 30, 2019 •  [Post 36]

Just grabbed a pair of Sitka Thunderhead gaiters from Campfire for $60. It was time. The old ones are really high mileage and I love keeping the lower legs and cuffs of my pants dry. That’s the part that gets saturated and might not dry overnight. I like keeping the upper half of my boots dry too.

Last week I picked up a Sitka Traverse zip T. Regular $250 and got that for $100. For years I’d been wearing an Under Armor polyester top with a short zipper. They are fleece lined. The perfect layer for most all day hunting when it’s not quite warm enough to throw on the Jetstream jacket. I’m ready!
Indian Summer