Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New SmokePole, Accompanying Gear? Got it ;)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New SmokePole, Accompanying Gear? Got it ;)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

;) Well, I finally decided to get a ML. Been chewing on it for many, many years and said what the hay... let's get one of those ;). After a bit of research over the past few weeks, I ended up ordering a Traditions Vortek UL. Now I have till next fall to figure out which end is which, what it likes to be fed, and what I need for accompanying gear (projectiles, powder type, those plastic pre-load storage thingamajigs, cleaning supplies, range gear/bag, carry while hunting gear/bag, soft storage case, etc..).

For you ML cats, what is your recommended gear list for a person who just ordered his first muzzle loader (sure, you can be brand/type specific if you are so inclined)? Kind of a "what's in the bag" kinda thread ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New SmokePole, Accompanying Gear?

Postby Elkhntr08 » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

BH209, much easier cleaning.
Elkhntr08

Postby Elkduds » 11 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

So you pulled the trigger (PI). Now what? In order to go boom you need primers and powder. If shooting @ targets or game, and who isn't, a projectile goes on top or that powder. Regardless of powder choice, get an adjustable volume powder measure. Pellets schmellets. I like all brass measures, mine is 40 yr old. Primers come in different sizes, if you plan to use BH powder, size 209 is your primer and your breech plug as well. While getting familiar your new smokestack, there is no substitute for repetition of loading, shooting, and sometimes cleaning. The ramrod under your new barrel has a wide brass end called a jag, the perfect size for pushing cleaning patches through the barrel from either end. Also for seating each bullet after it is started down the barrel.

After measuring powder, pouring and settling in into the breech of the barrel, a bullet is the next thing down the pipe. Bullets don't want to start down the barrel, necessitating a bullet starter. I like this one:
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessor ... c1509.html
because I need it w my possibles when I am hunting. If you had followed instructions and bought a CVA, you would have a black disc called a palm saver screwed onto the jag end of the ramrod. Unscrewed, that palm saver will start those reluctant bullets. Then the jag end of the ramrod goes on the tip of the bullet, and pushes it all the way down on top of the powder. All. The. Way. Remove ramrod from barrel. Replacing the rod under the barrel before shooting is a good habit to create. Expose nipple (on the gun!) put a primer on it. Close the gate. Fire in the hole, baby.

After a few shots loading gets harder, rso run a patch wet w solvent through the bore. Saddlesore reports windex/ammonia will cut the crud from 209.

That will get you started @ the range. Next time: possibles, reloading while hunting (like you will ever need that).
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 4]

We purchased our ml at Sportsmans. The associate seemed to know what to get. Of all his suggestions the only thing I didn't buy was a possibles bag,.. used a small fannnypack.

Ran into a fellow that has been ml hunting the unit for 40 years in. His advise,.. shoot the gun alot before you hunt. Shoot it clean and dirty. He claims some guns it takes a while to find a load that works
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Great stuff guys, thanks for the input. ED, I think the Traditions has a unique feature that facilitates easier bullet loading "The Vortek Ultralight's muzzle is 360-degree ported to reduce recoil and features a relieved portion of the bore to assist in bullet alignment and easy loading.". We'll see if this feature eliminates the need for a bullet crammer inner ;)

st_tradition_vortek_ultralight_f.jpg
st_tradition_vortek_ultralight_f.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 6149 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Newfangled and useful. My muzzle has a 3/4 inch section that is not rifled, for easier bullet starting. The bullet or sabot needs to be pressed into the rifling of the barrel so the rifling is scratched or pressed into the surface of the bullet. That takes some pressure, hence the job of the bullet starter. A ramrod is too long and flexible to start a bullet evenly on the rifling. If your muzzle lets the bullet grab the rifling without a stout push on the bullet tip, let us know. That would be a big step forward in easy loading.

Do you plan on shooting bore-size 50 cal bullets, or smaller caliber in sabot? I don't know what is legal for ML hunting in your kingdom.

Also, I would love to see a pic or video of you shooting it @ dusk, to see how the brake ports spit the flame and smoke.
Elkduds

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Ya, not sure if the one I ordered has the brake ports? Will see when it comes in I spose.
WapitiTalk1

Postby saddlesore » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Be sure to cover the brake ports ( if it has any) with tape in nasty weather.BTW, TC has that counter bore on the muzzle end of the barrel to aid in bullet starting.They had problems for awhile with in that it was not concentric with the bore and affected accuracy .

A kit is sold that has a patch jag, cleaning spud, bore mop, bullet puller, bore brush . Buy two. One to keep in camp,one to keep in the day pack.Some of these kits carry a larger brush to clean out the breech plug threads. If not by one of those.Sometimes a shotgun bore brush will be just the right size.

Buy an after market ramrod to replace the noisy aluminum one. I think the black ones are made of Delron or carbon fiber. Usually they come extra long with one end not finish. If so, you buy that end ,cut the rod to the correct length end and epoxy the end on .Don't buy fiber glass or wood.

A drill bit to clean out the bigger diameter of the primer hole in the breech plug.Usually 1/8" or a tad smaller. Go to a weld shop supply or maybe even Home depot and buy the packet of tools that is used to clean out Oxy/acetelyne torch tips. This is usually a small folding metal container that has various sizes of small wire like rods coated with an abrasive with each one increasing in diameter. This is used to clean out the small diameter in the prime hole of the breech plug.Usually only the first 2-3 smallest size wires are used.

If the butt end of the stock sounds hollow, remove the recoil pad and fill that void with foam. The " Tuff Stuff " that Home Depot sells for filling cracks around windows etc. works good, but fill only a little at a time . That reduces sound a lot,like when you accidentally hit a tree limb or ? with it .

Quick load tubes that you can keep pre measured powder charge,a bullet, and a primer in. Some just like to keep powder, I think those types are marketed under Lane Powder containers. Theses help in reducing how much you have to carry around in your pack. about 3 is all you need A Primer Capper.You won't use one to actually insert a primer,but you carry extra primers with you all the time.

A couple of smaller prescription bottles will keep wet and dry patches in to swab the barrel when in the field after a shot.Nothing more frustrating than having difficulty in getting a bullet down the tube with a fouled barrel. Depending on bullet used,even BH209 will cause this .

Fir cleaning while back in camp. Some Q tips or swabs to aid in cleaning, and small bottle of methanol or ethanol to do a final swabbing of your barrel afer cleaning.That will insure you have no moisture in your barrel after cleaning.

Breech plug grease to keep the breech plug from seizing up. Some guys don't use it.Don't believe even with BH209 that won't get fouled. Even at the range, I unscrew mine a few turns and re tighten then ever few shots to to preclude that

As mentioned, bullet starter, adjustable powder measure. For use at the range, they sell a funnel type affair that you put on the BH209 container in place of the cap so you can pour the powder out into a measure. A small powder flask is handy if you are back packing in and don't want to carry a full container of powder.

For some of this stuff,if you cannot find it locally look at Track of the Wolf .com
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 9]

Thorough summary, Saddle.

I have yet to need a bullet puller w my inline. Have you?
Elkduds

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Great stuff guys! Making a list (and checking it twice) ;). Trying to avoid, if possible, tinkering with too many various loads when I start shooting. What is a good initial recommendation for powder (sounds like 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 may be the ticket) and projectiles to get me off on the right foot? ED, the WA regs don’t say anything about sabots so I assume they’re fine (haven’t looked at ID yet). So many types/manufacturers of projectiles, hoping you cats have a tried and true rec.
WapitiTalk1

Postby saddlesore » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Elkduds wrote:Thorough summary, Saddle.

I have yet to need a bullet puller w my inline. Have you?

If I don't want to dump loose powder in the action of an inline, I have pulled bullets. Also because of my own laziness and trying one too many shots before swabbing, I have stuck a bullet down the tube and used a puller to get it out.

Hunting with a Ml since about1976 I have had just about every imaginable problem with a ML and sometimes twice. Now I try to be ready for any contingency
saddlesore

Postby Elkduds » 12 02, 2018 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Great stuff guys! Making a list (and checking it twice) ;). Trying to avoid, if possible, tinkering with too many various loads when I start shooting. What is a good initial recommendation for powder (sounds like 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 may be the ticket) and projectiles to get me off on the right foot? ED, the WA regs don’t say anything about sabots so I assume they’re fine (haven’t looked at ID yet). So many types/manufacturers of projectiles, hoping you cats have a tried and true rec.

WA: sabots ok, open sights only. ID: open sights only, no sabots.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/articles ... -by-state/

To me, the simple thing would be one non-sabot load for use in both places. Open sights limit effective range, for me 125 yds is my max range on elk. 100 max on deer. If a guy was accurate past 150, he could take advantage of the flatter trajectory available w sabots & light bullets @ faster speed.
Elkduds

Postby Indian Summer » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 13]

That’s the exact gun I have Rory. Great choice!

Here’s a handy item. CO2 muzzleloader discharger. Pretty handy for unloading your gun quickly quietly and best of all cleanly without taking anything apart.

https://www.cabelas.com/ensemble/Shooti ... r/4225.uts
Attachments
C623E312-9E97-4C22-8C4E-17C4B5D4B03B.jpeg
C623E312-9E97-4C22-8C4E-17C4B5D4B03B.jpeg (289.83 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 14]

Thanks Joe; I'll get that on my things to get list!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Old school » 12 03, 2018 •  [Post 15]

That’s the nice thing about loose powder, you can bump it up or down in small increments until you get what you like. For me, my Accura likes 90 grains of BH209

-Mitch
Old school

Re: New SmokePole, Accompanying Gear? Got it ;)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 30, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Thanks to all you stinky WT members who helped get my first smoke pole set up. Got a big ol’ box from Muzzleloader.com tonight. Just need some powder and primers and I’ll get the beast out for a test drive.

5F6F9C44-0D58-46E7-9CE5-C41FDC455641.jpeg
5F6F9C44-0D58-46E7-9CE5-C41FDC455641.jpeg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
WapitiTalk1

Re: New SmokePole, Accompanying Gear? Got it ;)

Postby Lefty » 05 01, 2019 •  [Post 17]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Thanks to all you stinky WT members who helped get my first smoke pole set up. Got a big ol’ box from Muzzleloader.com tonight. Just need some powder and primers and I’ll get the beast out for a test drive.
5F6F9C44-0D58-46E7-9CE5-C41FDC455641.jpeg

That pic cracked me up
I had to got to Sportsmans Warehouse twice,.. to end up with lots of "stuff" :lol:
I need to learn how to shot the darn thing,.. the elk were safe. I didn't share all of my last days hunt. I was on Forest Service ground and had a couple hundred elk go past on private ground, at 40-55 yards out.

Friday I called about one of the big pastures we saw elk on during the muzzle loader season They just do not allow hunting.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H