Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

More on Technology

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

More on Technology

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Friday and Saturday I hunted with a young fellow. Kind of slick knowing how far point A-B (4.3 miles 1200 foot elevation) was and B-C (2.7, 590 Elevation), And C-D(2980 feet 185 elevation) and D to the truck(1.4, 65 feet elevation). He could have tracked all distance and elevation but didnt expect cell reception.
He used on x hunts Pinning and tracking the herd over the past week. .
I was concerned that On-x placed public land a substantial distance from what appeared to be the public land fence. After checking GIS, Idaho hunt planner, and yep that was where over 200 elk were bedded.
Eventually I glassed public land survey markers. Right as those three sites positioned them. So most of the elk were on public lands.

Keeping us on public lands. Slopes elevation, vegetation type and cover finding the best ways through thick quickies, downed timber. The only. thing he wasnt able to circumvent was a snow covered 45 degree head-sized rock slope, that app showed a graveled slope.

He had 4 bars in some isolated canyons where I was miles from any service. He had some other neat apps that he used. He is a military dependent and was using a 4 year old phone on his fathers service provider . So you military gurus,.. does he have reception normal people dont have ;)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: More on Technology

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 2]

We have the same capabilities with our iphones but don't use them as much as you're referring too. We have the mini inreach blue-toothed to our phones which allows us reception anywhere as well as sending text messages to anyone.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 3]

ElkNut1 wrote:,,,, We have the mini inreach blue-toothed to our phones which allows us reception anywhere as well as sending text messages to anyone.

ElkNut/Paul

That is something I was unaware of.
Even those deep canyons?

My wife was talking about getting me a SPOT or something similar for next year
Lefty

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Yes, anywhere! It runs solely off satellites! You don't need service/wifi, you only need battery power for devices.

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 5]

ElkNut1 wrote:Yes, anywhere! It runs solely off satellites! You don't need service/wifi, you only need battery power for devices.
ElkNut/Paul

Thanks Paul,...
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 11, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I am still using the moron technology. I have a good GPS, but rely on a topo map as my base.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote:I am still using the moron technology. I have a good GPS, but rely on a topo map as my base.

I know the area well we were in I was amazed at how well, with his technology what he gleaned beyond on-x hunts almost scary
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 12, 2018 •  [Post 8]

No doubt Lefty. Just think how helpful it would be for a person new to an area.
Knowing where private ownership really is can be very valuable in some areas. I have seen "Private Property, No Trespassing" signs posted on National Forest many times. Sometimes fences are a significant distance from the ownership boundary. If you are going to ignore them, you have to know exactly where the lines really are. Sometimes public easements go through private lands too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics