Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tentage?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tentage?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Let's talk tentage (not sure if that is even a word). What tents do you own for hunting, and, what are each used for? Are you 100% satisfied with the tents you have for your various types of hunting or are you looking at something else for each specific use/type of hunting?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Tentage?

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have a 12X14 canvas wall tent I got from the Wall Tent Shop. I lived in it for about a month last summer. I also have a 1950M army tent too. I have used it many times over the years. Both are good, but the canvas wall tent is by far the better one to live in.
The 12X14 is about all I can handle and set up on my own. It takes me a little over 1/2 hour to erect. If I went any larger I would need help. Next season I may take both tents and use the army 1950M for storage.
Both tents are used primarily for deer and elk hunting and scouting. Neither is a backpackers option. I don't have any desire for another tent. I have some tarps if I choose to go on a short backpack hunt.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I use to spend 70-80 nights a year in a tent in all months. Even had my wife along on a few Nov,JAn Feb March April trips

10 man Dome, I use as the main tent
3 man Springbar for the worst weather wind or snow
Eureka Scouter ( 2 man- 3 Boy Scouts) One night camp or in the past Ive used various 2-3 man domes and keep my wifes 40 year old 2 man pup in the truck for emergency or if I plan to pack in to stay the night
Ive spent nights in wall tents with 8 of us at trail heads

This past season I spent most of my time and some of last year in the back of my truck.

The springbar has withstood a full day or nights of 70 plus mile an hour straight winds.
All the tents have been used for single night quick set up and take down. I did not use the 2-3 man domes if wet weather was expected. the 10 man dome or spring bar was my selection.
I was going to go to a wall tent next year,.. but I think a bumper pull trailer is on its way. Main reasons my wife isnt a fan of sleeping in the cold. This year I spent a lot of nights in elk country. and many nights I would have stayed just one more night if I would have dry everything.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 4]

We’ve used a 10x14 Kodiak Canvas for the past 3 elk hunts and it works great for 3 people. 2 years ago in Idaho it seemed like it rained/snowed every day and we couldn’t get dry though since there’s no stove jack- just used a buddy heater which does warm things up but also puts more moisture into the air than it takes out. So I’ve been contemplating buying either a canvas wall tent or a Cabelas Alaknak tent for this coming year. I want the canvas wall tent for elk hunting, but the Alaknak would really come in handy here in Missouri for our hunts since it has a floor in it to keep the snakes out.

Already got a Colorado Cylinder Stove so we won’t be cold and wet for 10 days.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkhntr08 » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Have an old NF Rock 22 that is early season solo and a Alaskan Guide 6 man for late season base camp. Pretty happy with the tents, but wish I had a heat source. Bought a 42’ toy hauler and solved the heat source issue.
Elkhntr08

Postby Elkduds » 12 18, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Base camp tent is 10x10 Kodiak, can heat w propane tank top heater. Significant improvement over the10x12 wall tent that preceded it: easy to pitch solo quickly, stands up to weather, roomier w vertical walls, much smaller to store and transport.

Backpacking: MSR FastStash, light, roomy, weathertight.

Mild weather quick tent: Coleman 9x7 dome tent, tall enough to stand in, room for cots
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Old School... don’t buy an Alaknak man. The condensation inside is teal! And they aren’t cheap. For that kind of money buy the last tent you’ll ever need from the Wall Tent Shop.

I have a Marmot 6 man Halo. Great if I don’t need heat. Awesome in Key West. Lol

My main tent is a Wall Tent Shop 10x12. A palace for two and I’ve had 3 in it no problem. I’ve used about every brand of wall tent out there. Lived in them for 4-6 months a year too. I find the Wall Tent Shop tents to be the best for many reasons. The fact that his prices are the best and shipping is free truly makes it a no brainer.

I’m about to buy a Li Tent spike tent from Buckstitch Canvas. It’s canvas... thd only material an elk hunting tent should be made of unless you are backpacking, but less than half the weight of conventional canvas. They come with 2 or 4 footvwals. Ise only one center pole which I’ll stash for the future. The tent only weighs 25 pounds. No Alaknak or nylon anything for me! On the way out it’s all downhill from my spiike site so I can easily pack it out on my back. I’ll be buying a steel woodstove to go with it and stashing that too. My cache will also consit of a lantern and propane bottles, splitting maul, a cot, mesh floor, tent stakes, and a bottle of Jim Beam. I’ll call the site the Closer to Heaven Camp. Bulls galore right out the door! :D
Attachments
DD856BFE-4019-4447-8472-CC07A46CABF5.jpeg
DD856BFE-4019-4447-8472-CC07A46CABF5.jpeg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 11630 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Old school » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Joe - thanks for your input. Question on a 14x16 - how easy is that size to setup. Just thinking with a stove and 3 people the 12x14 would be too tight. If I add a floor to the 14x16 it’s about the same price as the 12x20 Alaknak. Do you use a tent fly or just use a cheap tarp or nothing?

-Mitch
Old school

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I have a bunch:

1 man bivy shelter (forget the brand)
2 man Kelty backpacking tent (dome)
4 man Eureka Mountain Pass (great tent in my opinion)
10 person Coleman dome for camping with my family
10'x14' canvas wall tent with wood stove (from the sponsor of this site)
8'x10' Snowtrekker tent with wood stove - this is a pretty neat tent. It is much lighter than a wall tent but is canvas and great for winter camping. The total weight of the tent and frame is just 1 pounds. I use it where the wall tent is too heavy to bring in and when I want an easier set up. These are nice tents that are popular in Canada but seem to be less know in hunting circles.

This is what it looks like: (not my image)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
VT Sasquatch

Postby Tigger » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 10]

I have spent many nights in an Alaknak with no moisture issues. 12X20. there are a lot of vents in this model. we used a direct vent stove though.
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I guided out of an Alaknak once. It rained from the ceiling. There were puddles on the floor. I pulled out my Leatherman and proceeded to punch holes in the low spots to drain it.

Old School... a 14x16 takes 2 people to set up. One thing to consider is the bigger the tent the more difficult it becomes to find a large flat spot to set it up. Think about this.... maybe make a drawing. A 12 by 14 tent can easily fit two cots along one side wall. That gives you the option to either put a third cot sideways along the backwall with a kitchen setup on the other sidewall by the wood stove, or the third cot on the other side wall with a table down the center of the tent. That tent fit 3 people no problem. A 14x16 is a 4 or even 5 man tent. The other thing to consider is the bigger the tent the harder it is to regulate the temperature. Bigger is not always better. Buy as big as you need and stop there. I can set a 12/14 up myself. With the right technique and a little practice you can too.
Indian Summer

Postby Tigger » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Were the vents shut on the Alaknak? We have not had any moisture problems like that at all. It is my cousin's tent and he has used it probably 50+ times or more. I have spend quite a few days in it. I wonder if there was something goofy going on.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:I can set a 12/14 up myself.

I do also. I build the ceiling frame first and spread the canvas tent over that. Then I go around and set up the upright poles one at a time. That makes pretty short work of the project. I agree a 12X14 is about as large as you want to handle by yourself and a monster tent sounds great, but if you don't need any more then keep the size down.

083.JPG
083.JPG (213.83 KiB) Viewed 11594 times
Swede

Postby Old school » 12 19, 2018 •  [Post 14]

What about an occasional 4th person? Is it feasible to put 4 guys (Me, my 2 sons and my son-in law) and a woodstove in a 12x14? I do like the thought of a 12x14 though because as my boys start college or the work force I can quickly see the year approaching where it's just me for a few years until they get established. A 12x14 for just me would be like an elk hunting mansion.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby VT Sasquatch » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 15]

In my opinion, 4 would be no problem at all. I would be willing to have 4 in my 10x12 (or 10x14, I cant remember). There is plenty of sleeping room. A lot of gear can make it crowded but that can be managed with stacking crates.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 16]

As a four person sleeping and gear tent a 12X14 would be spacious. You could have a heater and some chairs too. I would not have a table or plan to cook in it.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 12 20, 2018 •  [Post 17]

I had a 11 x 15 wall tent and I could set it up by myself . A person just has to design the frame wisely. 3 piece ridge pole ,3 center up rights in two pieces. 1/2 " conduit for walls at each grommet. Set the ridge pole and tie off at each end,set 1/2 of the center up rights( just the two ends) and then stake out four corners. Lift each end up and insert the other 1/2 of the uprights.
Re secure the 4 corner post., install the mid center post and then install all the 1/2 " conduit wall post. Stake down down the bottoms
That tent would sleep two persons comfortably along with a kitchen and a wood stove.3 would need to be real friendly.I had cooked in the same tent I slept in for probably better than forty years and never had a concern with odors hunting. Keeping one's self clean w as more important. Places with bears might be a problem though. Having 3-4 guys in a crowded tent gets testy if they are kept in for 2-3 days during a snow storm.

I had a16 x24 wall tent and we put 6 people in it, four was better.

I also had a 6 man army octagon squad tent, 3-4 4 man dome tents, 4-5 two man dome or pup type tents.
I still have one of the bigger dome tents and a Luxe Megahorn tent. I have not used that except once last summer overnight

A good canvas wall tent with poly tarp on it and a wood stove is about the most comfortable I have used. Mostly now it's a pop up slide in camper in a short box, good for 1 person
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 12 21, 2018 •  [Post 18]

I missed part of your question Old School. I’d never spend money on a tent fly. Their main job is to catch hot embers so they don’t land on your canvas. I use a plastic tarp which inevitably gets pinhole burns in it. I’d never go without that either. You’d end ip with those pinholes in your tent.

You can definitely fit 4 in a 12/14. Two along one side. One across the back wall and one down the other wall that’s on the wood stove side. You could also put one on the sidewall just inside the door opposite the wood stove and three across the back wall in a row side by side. Cots are usually 32 inches wide. Thats 96 inches or 8 feet for three. That leaves 4 feet of space side to side divided by two so 2 feet between those cots. Piece of cake!

Swede I use the exact same method to set them up alone.
Indian Summer

Postby saddlesore » 12 21, 2018 •  [Post 19]

2 ft between cots.Where the heck does every one store their gear. Let alone keep from butting butts when getting dressed in the morning.As I stated, a person better be on real friendly terms if they want to crowd 4 people in a 12 x 14 tent, not to mention a wood stove and maybe a small table.Might work alright if there is a 2nd kitchen tent. JMHO
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 20]

I would not put a table in a 12X14 with four persons staying in it. Much of the gear would have to be stored under the cots. If there are four guys hunting together you will need a second tent or shelter for cooking, and for the one or two that snore. If I don't own the tent and the one who does snores, I will go somewhere else and come in in the morning when the fire is going.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 21]

I wouldn’t do 4 on a regular basis. But I’d rather do that than have a 14x16 when I normally only have 3 people.
Attachments
41C3D173-548F-46F8-ACFF-FBC7D615AD71.jpeg
41C3D173-548F-46F8-ACFF-FBC7D615AD71.jpeg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 11492 times
Indian Summer

Postby Old school » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 22]

I think you guys have talked me into the 12x14. Another reason I'm leaning more towards that than the 14x16 is that I've got a 10x14 Kodiak canvas that sets up in less than 10 minutes that we could use for gear storage, etc...especially if we occasionally have 4 people.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 23]

Old school wrote:I think you guys have talked me into the 12x14. Another reason I'm leaning more towards that than the 14x16 is that I've got a 10x14 Kodiak canvas that sets up in less than 10 minutes that we could use for gear storage, etc...especially if we occasionally have 4 people.

--Mitch

That would definitely be a deciding factor for me. I’d make a dining tent out of it.
Indian Summer