Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

G5 Deadmeat for Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

G5 Deadmeat for Elk

Postby SquirrelTeam6 » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hello,

I am extremely pleased with what G5 Deadmeats do to whitetail, but am wondering about using them for elk. I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder with 58 pounds and a 27" draw. Anyone using them, or do you have any thoughts on them for elk?

Thanks for any feedback.

-ST6
SquirrelTeam6

Re: G5 Deadmeat for Elk

Postby Lsb » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Can you describe your arrow?
Lsb

Postby SquirrelTeam6 » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm shooting the Beman ICS Hunter Classic 400.
SquirrelTeam6

Postby Swede » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Welcome to the forum SquirrelTeam6. I hope you get your answer here. Oregon and some other States have never before allowed mechanical broadheads for big game so I don't have any experience with them. They look good and are expensive enough. I would not have any doubt they will kill elk. Elk don't need a super broadhead. It needs to be very sharp for good penetration and it needs to hold together as it moves forward through the critter. If it breaks up after it has stopped or when it is getting pulled out, you just lost a broadhead. There are some aluminum based broadheads that do that, but the damage is done by then.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 22, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I’m a staunch advocate of COC fixed blade BHs for big bodied game like elk, but, the better constructed/stronger mechs that have came out in the last few years seem to getting good reviews. That said ST6, at this point in time, I’d still recommend u look at tuning your bow to shoot a solid BH for elk or other bigger critters; COC BHs like Magnus makes are devistating in elk and will never have a mechanical failure. Welcome to the forum bud! Great first thread. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have killed elk with coc broadheads and center punch ones. They both kill elk very effectively. For me it is like arguing the difference between a PSE bow and a Hoyt because one is three FTS faster than the other. They will both get the job done if you hit them right and they will both fail if you don't. The difference is insignificant.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2018 •  [Post 7]

What will kill a deer has nothing to do with what will kill an elk for you. Sure that head can possibly kill an elk. I know a guy who killed a bull with a .22 cal rifle once. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m sure there will be people who tell you to go for it. That head looks like a new improved Rage. But my personal opinion is that a broadhead used in hopes killing an elk AND finding it should not have moving parts on it. There’s a reason some states and Outfitters don’t allow them. There are soooo many good fixed blade heads on the market. Tune your bow and I’m sure you’ll find one that flies well for you.

Slick Tricks fly great for most people. For cut in contact try Magnus heads. The Black Hornet is badass.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Roosiebull » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum SquirrelTeam6. I hope you get your answer here. Oregon and some other States have never before allowed mechanical broadheads for big game so I don't have any experience with them. They look good and are expensive enough. I would not have any doubt they will kill elk. Elk don't need a super broadhead. It needs to be very sharp for good penetration and it needs to hold together as it moves forward through the critter. If it breaks up after it has stopped or when it is getting pulled out, you just lost a broadhead. There are some aluminum based broadheads that do that, but the damage is done by then.

They will be legal in Oregon this year...

Squirrel team 6, my opinion is you are shooting too light of a setup to use mechanical heads for elk... will it likely work? Yeah... but just centering a rib on the entrance could rob all of your penetration (in conjunction with the mechanical opening)
There are far better options for your setup
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I observed that Oregon legalized them for 2019. I don't like it. I don't like more and more technology getting into bow hunting. I would rather go back to just recurve and long bows than have all the gadgets we can now use. When will the Oregon Game Commission decide to allow bow hunters to finish off wounded game with a 30-06? No one would cheat on that would they? Maybe we should be allowed to use hounds for tracking wounded game.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Trust me, I very much agree. All of the tech has made archery hunting more appealing to the masses (I'm sure you have seen this more than me in my 19 years) I think this WILL cut our opportunities in the near future.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Hunters that cannot get game like deer and elk have a multitude of excuses. One of the ways they want to improve their likelihood of getting something is improve on the equipment and technology. Ultimately this will cause a reduction in hunting opportunity if the equipment does in fact help get game. If it doesn't really help, at least it will drive up the cost of hunting.
I can hardly wait until we can put an electronic rangefinder and a laser sight on our bow. I will be able it shoot elk at 100 yards with my bow and Roosie you will still be limited to 25. How about that? Maybe someone can invent the homing arrow that can detect an elk's heartbeat at 200 yards, and home in on it.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Other than what it could end up meaning for our opportunity in the future, it doesn't bother me a bit, it really doesn't seem to matter much, none of it seems to matter a lot, the technology doesn't seem to improve success, they buy it with hope that it might.
Roosiebull

Postby Roosiebull » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 13]

Deleted reply (somehow a reply from a different thread ended up here, and was very much out of context :lol: )
Roosiebull

Postby SquirrelTeam6 » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I appreciate the feedback! I shot Montecs for years and decided to switch it up this year. I really like the "Tooth of The Arrow" as well. The wound channel reminds me of what a 12 gauge slug does. I took quite a few pigs with the Tooth, but felt I was losing accuracy past 50 yards. I will be doing my first archery elk hunt this year. I'm going with a very experienced elk guy. I can't wait!
SquirrelTeam6

Postby Swede » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I start losing accuracy as soon as my arrow leaves the bow. That is why I limit myself to forty yards. If you are shooting pigs past 50 yards, you can be the trainer and I will read what you have on the matter.
Swede

Postby SquirrelTeam6 » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Swede, I have shot a Trophy Ridge 5-pin React sight since 2015. It does a couple things for me. First of all, it is accurate. Secondly, it gives me confidence. With regards to the pigs, they are always under my feeder and I will frequently practice shooting exactly where they will be standing. When I practice in the yard, I practice at 60 yards for the majority of my shots. The TR sight has helped me up my game tremendously.
SquirrelTeam6

Postby Swede » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I have no problem with people shooting whatever distance they are competent at under the circumstances they are dealing with. I know people that can consistently bullseye at over 80 yards. I am not one of them. I was never that good, but I am over 70 years old now. I need to be ever more careful. I know what you mean about learning to shoot down on animals. You shoot pigs at a feeder, and I shoot elk at a water hole.
Roosiebull and I had an interesting discussion about shooting down on animals on this gear forum awhile back. You might find it of value too. It was on Hunting Arrows-My Thoughts, posts 107-111.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Swede wrote:I have no problem with people shooting whatever distance they are competent at under the circumstances they are dealing with. I know people that can consistently bullseye at over 80 yards. I am not one of them. I was never that good, but I am over 70 years old now. I need to be ever more careful. I know what you mean about learning to shoot down on animals. You shoot pigs at a feeder, and I shoot elk at a water hole.
Roosiebull and I had an interesting discussion about shooting down on animals on this gear forum awhile back. You might find it of value too. It was on Hunting Arrows-My Thoughts, posts 107-111.

I have always shot ok, but my shooting gets worse with a deer or elk in front of me, in range that I plan to shoot, which is part of why my max with a compound is also 40yds... part of that is also because they aren't stationary targets, and can move during the flight of the arrow
Roosiebull

Postby SquirrelTeam6 » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 19]

I settled on the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 100g. I have been practicing up to 80 yards, not that I would consider an 80 yard shot at any living creature! I have tacked a shoe box to top of my target to give me a repeatable point of reference, since I only have pins up to 60 yards. I will most likely have a 7-pin TR next year. Again, not that I would shoot at game at that distance, but I am a better shooter at shorter distances, because I'm shooting at the longer distance. I sure love the way those Buzzcuts fly! I head west in 26 days!!!!!! I will be back in time for the deer opener on the 28th of September and hope I can say that I have taken an elk and a nice buck in the same month...
SquirrelTeam6

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Sweet! Go getum ST6!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 16, 2019 •  [Post 21]

SquirrelTeam: I have never seen a hunter that practiced at 60, 70, or 80 yards and could make most of them, that would not try it on game. If you are getting really good, paste small dots on your backstop and aim for them at 20 or 30 yards.
I have a different problem to get my head around. I am not the shot I used to be. I see it every day. The owner of the pro shop said I was in the top 5% of the shooters in my age class. I practice and practice, but sometimes things just are not right. Changing my routine has not helped.
In the past I have passed on elk at 50-60 yards. Now I am thinking I need to shorten my distance again down to maybe 30. I hate it and don't like to think I am losing out to age.
Swede