Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Forum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Forum

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Hopefully this is the first objective Gear Forum review.

I just reviewed the rules and find them a little difficult to follow. That is not unusual, as I normally find following rules to be difficult. BTW: I color outside the lines too.
In general I suspect this can be a good place to check on how well W.T. hunters like or dislike certain products, and get their opinions on what works best in the real word. I suspect you will want to wait to buy until you read more than just the reviews of Tigger and Lefty. Duh.
Saddlesore and WW don't buy anything that is not at a one of a kind yard sale, so reading their product is going to be problematic. They just got the last one on sale at anywhere near the price they paid.
Other than that this forum has potential. I am still amazed Tigger thought it up.
OK, I am going to be nice for the rest of the day unless someone here pushes my button.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Gear Forum

Postby Indian Summer » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

You old farts no reviewing wool pants you bought in 1973!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Indian Summer » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

RJ maybe you could add customer service and warranty experiences to the reviews. Those are a big deal to me.

Violation of rule 714 section A: Never go live without first consulting with Mods! $10 fine mister....
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Indian Summer wrote:You old farts no reviewing wool pants you bought in 1973!

:? LOL, 73 Army wool pants still work mister.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Indian Summer wrote:RJ maybe you could add customer service and warranty experiences to the reviews. Those are a big deal to me.

Yes sir, added it to the "basic" review guidelines above (good tip). The guidelines I posted above are just that, something to give curmudgeons a rudimentary structured outline/template (so you shine in the big spotlight), and keep you on track as you hunt and peck away on your manual typewriters :D.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 27, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I have to admit I have kept my old Filson green wool pants. They are a bit heavy, but work great. I doubt the new Sitka or First lite stuff is any warmer, but they are lighter. Not that I am set in my ways, but I probably won't change until the sheep start growing coats of those fancy new synthetics. Wool has been around and doing well for thousands of years. The new Scratchandtear or whatever it is called; 15 minutes.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Ha.I bet more than1/2 my gear is older than lot of guys that post here,and I still kill more elk than they do. :lol:
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Swede I need to figure out how to change your screen name to The Crusty Curmudgeon! I have a lot of wool and used it exclusively for years. Then I started using the new stuff and my wool stays in my closet. It is interesting that my wool shoes a lot of wear while my new synthetics show none.

I think Indian a Summer said it best. He said the new clothing out there (specifically Sitka) allows you to hunt longer and harder. It will never replace knowledge and experience but more comfort equals a more enjoyable experience.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I too would buy the Sitka, Kuiu, or First Lite stuff if I was backpack hunting or living out of some remote camp. The weight advantage and the ability to minimize odor for days would factor heavily into my decision. The way I hunt, even on the ground does not merit the expense. I day hunt from camp. I feel comfortable saying I could hunt as effectively, and be as comfortable all decked out with gear from that old outfitter known as Good Will. In fact I plan to stop in there today to see if they have any good after Christmas specials.

Crusty Curmudgeon
Swede