Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Review - Schnees Beartooth Boots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Review - Schnees Beartooth Boots

Postby Tigger » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 1]

1. Product information
Specifications: I have 3 pairs. 1 with no insulation and 2 with 200 grams of Thinsulate. All in size 9.5. One pair is 11 years old, one pair 4 years old, 1 pair new summer of 2018. These are all leather boots with a rubberized toe guard. My pairs are the Beartooth, not the Beartooth II which is the current model. My dad has the Beartooth II and not much has changed to my eyes.
Initial Thoughts: The first time I put these boots on, I immediately noticed the tongue tips out further making it really easy to put your foot in. No jamming it in and pulling on the back while stomping around on one foot. It just slips in nice and easy. It also was immediately apparent that this boot was in the high quality class just by the fit. Hard to describe, but after the first 10 steps I could tell.
2. Product Review: For this review, I will focus on the older pair as they have obviously seen the most use. I have used these boots on 7 elk hunts, at least 50 pheasant hunts and countless other times. They have become my favorite footwear as they are the perfect fit for my feet and are just plain comfy. Traction: they do not have an oversized sole like some boots have. I would say their footprint is average or maybe a whisker on the narrow side (note that is the soles, not the boots themselves). This, combined with the Vibram soles, results in really good traction compared to other boots I have had. Durability: These boots have seen more use than any other I have ever had and really do not show much wear (you can see some of the rubberized toe is chipped in a few places). Still on the same pair of laces. All the lace loops or whatever you call them are perfect, the leather is in great shape with no thin spots (I do treat them with Obenaufs). The sole is holding up really well with minimal wear (note I have a very normal gait which does not produce any uneven wear on any of my shoes). Applicability: I bought these for elk hunting and they have been more than I can ask for out of a boot. I have used them for pheasant hunting a lot which can really tear up boots due to the constant walking in cattails and weeds. These have held up better than any I have ever had. So for both mountain and upland I would highly recommend. They did soften up over time which I really noticed when I got my 2nd and 3rd pairs. The old pair is noticeably softer and more pliable after that much use. Schnees does make a stiffer boot called the Granite if you want that. Waterproofness: Pair number 1 were waterproof for about 7-8 years which is about 6-7 years longer than most of my boots make it. Pair number 2 is still waterproof and the 3rd pair hasn’t seen field use yet. I started using Obenaufs when pair number 1 started leaking and now they are waterproof again. Lacing: The lacing holds very tight. I have a love/hate relationship with the first lace loop/eyelet thing. It is a little hard to reach and I don’t like that. However, it keeps your heel and back of the foot nice and tight, which I love. Warranty: Schnees has a guarantee that their products will be free of defects. No timeline is stated. I had another pair of different Schnees boots that leaked and I can tell you without a doubt, their customer service is the BEST I have ever had. Cost: On the downside, these boots cost $389. That is a lot to swallow for most people, me included. But if I divide that by 11 years (and counting) that comes out to just over $35 per year. Are you getting 5 years out of a pair of $175 boots? Maybe. I never did with my previous boots with my use.

3. Conclusion: I bought pairs number 2 and 3 because of my success with pair number 1. I will buy more as needed. As an overall comfortable boot that is as close to a do-everything boot as you can get, I would highly recommend it. If you are just looking for an elk hunting boot, this boot will be perfect for that. However, I will caution you, you will find yourself wearing it everywhere. Honestly, I would rather spend all day with these on my feet than any other footwear I have (not in the summer as they would be too hot). Another testament was after a very long day in the elk woods last year, I was in no hurry at all to take off my boots. For the photo below, the middle and left boots are the old boots and the one on the right is the brand new boot for comparison. You can tell the sharpness of the new boots soles compared to the well used pair.
Attachments
boots resized.jpg
boots resized.jpg (318.12 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
Tigger

Re: Gear Review - Schnees Beartooth Boots

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Nicely done mister! Way to get the gear review ball rolling. I’ve only heard good things about these boots and your review supports that. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I may need a new pair of boots soon. Tigger's thread has me thinking about Schnees Beartooth. I have never had a pair of leather boots that stayed watertight a year. I have heard people say theirs were watertight but it was only for a short hunting season. I am going to check these out.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 28, 2018 •  [Post 4]

I checked every on-line outlet I could find to see if they had this boot available. None had a pair that would fit me. Most said "sold out". I think that is the old Indian term for "we don't carry your size".
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 29, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I believe the only place to buy them is through their website (schnees.com). Or they have a store in Bozeman. What size do you wear?
Tigger

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 15, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I checked every on-line outlet I could find to see if they had this boot available. None had a pair that would fit me. Most said "sold out". I think that is the old Indian term for "we don't carry your size".

Hey Swede: A couple months ago the Beartooths went on sale at close to 50 percent off. Most sizes sold out quickly. I have not seen any come back in stock so I wonder if they have been discontinued and maybe that is why they were marked down. I don't know this to be true - just guessing. Schnee's came out with the Beartooth II that is similar. I am pretty sure you can find them in stock but they cost around $400 if I recall.

I have a pair of the Beartooths with 200 gram insulation and also a pair of the uninsulated Beartooth Mids. I use the mids for grouse hunting. When I first bought the Schnee boots, I was surprised how light they felt compared to some of my other boots. I was concerned about durability of the leather. Having worn them through a season of hunting, they are now my favorite boots. I have had no issues with durability.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 16, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Thanks VT. I will keep my eye out for size 7 medium on sale. $400 is a bit over what I want to pay.
Swede