Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Review: Wall Tent Shop Wilderness Tent

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Review: Wall Tent Shop Wilderness Tent

Postby Indian Summer » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Model: 10x12 Wilderness Tent and frame angle kit

Initial thoughts: My first observation was... wow this tent bag is actually big enough to get the thing back into without running it over with the truck. I have to admit that knowing what I paid for it I was sceptical about the quality. My first observation was that the canvas was top quality and everything seemed put together as expected.

Features/Functionality: The thing that brought the next smile to my face was the use of heavy nylon seatbelt strapping along the eaves. The grommets are punched through that which is a GREAT feature because that is the main stress point in any tent. In the past many of my wall tents tore in that area and/or the grommets came out. I have several years of use on the tent now and not one is missing.

The next thing thing that indicated this tent might outlive me is the reinforced canvas in the wear areas. All 4 corners and down the entire ridge the canvas is double thickness. The tent is an army tank!

Another thing worth mentioning is the plastic buckles on the door. The ones down the front for extra security when I’m not in camp and the one on the bottom inside of the door that match up to the two on the outside corners of the tent to hold the door open when I’m setting up, bringing in firewood, or just letting some heat out or air in.

The tent comes with a screened rear window which is nice especially in bow season. That’s free!

If you price angle kits from Montana Canvas or Davis tents etc you’ll see they can be very expensive. Purchasing them with the tent as a package they are much cheaper. Plus they fit the tent properly which makes for tight canvas which also means a longer life expectancy for the tent. I’m going to have to include this wall tent in my will!

Summary: I can’t say enough about the overall value of the Wall Tent Shop tents. It’s truly the best tent I’ve ever owned so I can’t believe that it’s also the least expensive. The fact that shipping is free is the icing on the cake.

Customer Service: One call to their shop in Idaho will make you confident that if you ever have a problem they will take care of it. Pleasant professional attitude always doing his best to help you out. The Wall Tent Shop is a pleasure to do business with. That’s the cherry on top of the icing.

I would highly recommend the Wall Tent Shop for anyone interested in a quality tent for their elk camp.

Side note: Elk Nut owns the same tent and I’m confident that he will agree with my 2 thumbs up gear review.

Always remember to tarp your tent to protect it from hot embers and to make drying it quicker and more completely. Proper drying and storage of a canvas tent is imperitive.
Attachments
4BD6A731-E179-44CB-AF7D-FD7EAC15D72C.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Gear Review: Wall Tent Shop Wilderness Tent

Postby Swede » 12 30, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I purchased a 12X14 tent from them last winter. I used three times last summer. The tent fits on the frame just like they are meant for each other. :D It is top drawer all the way.
I suspect you will not want to go more than the 12X14 if you are planning to set it up on your own. Larger and stronger people can, just be forewarned these tents are not made of lightweight junk. They are strong and built to last. They are not excessively heavy, but definitely nothing is flimsy or cheap.
Bottom line is I would purchase one from the Wall Tent Shop if I ever need another like or similar tent. They are good to deal with and helpful making sure you get just what you need.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics