Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Review - Wapiti River Elk Calls - The Patriot & Reaper

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Review - Wapiti River Elk Calls - The Patriot & Reaper

Postby Tigger » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 1]

1. Product information
Specifications: The Patriot and Reaper Diaphragm calls with plastic mouth roof dome thingy. (Yes, thingy is a technical term which can be used at the writer's discretion). Colors: Duh! Red, White, and Blue for The Patriot and black for The Reaper. Fit: Normal palate size (forgive me for not sticking a tape measure in my mouth).

Initial Thoughts: A critical need in elk calls is the very first sound that comes out of the call. It doesn't need to be the best ever elk sound, but it sure better be above the acceptable line and these calls delivered perfectly. Actually, I bought 2 of both and they both were great right away.

2. Product Review: I like my calls to be able to make cow, calf, and bull sounds. The Patriot does did that right out of the package. The Reaper does that now, but when I first got it I just plain wasn't good enough to judge it. Both can hit the high notes as good as I am capable of and also the lower growls and grunts as well as cow/calf talk. All sounds pure with no garbling or squeaks. Nervous grunts are easy. Durability: I have used the Patriot 2 seasons with no problems. They appear to be as good now as when they were new. I am however, probably going to buy another couple this summer as latex is latex and I don't want to be on my elk hunt and have them fail. I have used the Reaper for 4 seasons and 1 of them has given up the fight. However, 4 seasons out of a diaphragm call is fantastic in my book given the extreme use they get. Applicability: Both made all the sounds I would want as good as I was capable of making them. I would give the slight edge to the Patriot for overall ease of use. It just seems so easy to use it. The Reaper might be slightly better on the bugles. Might be. Hard to tell. Warranty: Not sure what the warranty is, but I have talked to Travis on the phone a few times with no doubts he will stand behind his product. Cost: $9. Note that because this product comes from Canada, it may take a couple of weeks to clear customs. Customer Support: Way beyond expectations. Travis critiqued my sounds over the phone and helped me understand the calls. The BIG TEST: What to the elk think? I have lost track of how many elk I have had answer and come in with these calls but it has been a lot. Last year the bull I shot came in on a string to my cow calls. He was completely fooled.

3. Conclusion: I love these calls and will be buying more. The other thing that I kind of like about these calls is that you are supporting a guy who does this out of his house because of his love for elk hunting and not some big corporation.
Tigger

Re: Gear Review - Wapiti River Elk Calls - The Patriot & Rea

Postby Lsb » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I have to agree. Best calls I've ever used. Last summer when he offered buy 3 get one free (I think that was the deal) I ordered two sure things and 2 Lucky's. Travis talked me into a reaper, so I dropped one of the sure things. They all sound great, bad part is my wife stole the reaper, guess I have to order more.

Another highlight, Travis sent the order and after nearly a month it hadn't shown up. I called him up and he sent another set out that day no questions asked. I offered to pay for the second set and he said no way. He went on to say that if the original order ever showed up, it was on the house! I told him I'd send money if it shows, still haven't seen it.
Lsb

Postby Swede » 12 31, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I agree. The calls are excellent and Travis is great to deal with. It is truly a win-win deal for the hunter buyer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Trav is one hell of a guy. One other note and I'm not sure if this it right but the exchange rate of Canada Is different so I think the call were around $7 something. Not sure what it is now and dont care it's the only call I'm going to use. And I have tried many. Thank you travis
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Old school » 01 01, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I’ll chime in as well. The first calls I bought from Travis were the Black widows. Last year the Patriot and Reaper. Great calls and as others have said - top notch customer service. When I need more diaphragm calls I’ll buy more from Travis.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Elkduds » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Travis sent me 2 Reapers this fall, I probably have 7 of his diaphragms. Great products, great guy, great WT sponsor. I have an unusual palate, the domed Wapiti River calls are the easiest I've used and give the best sounds.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott