Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gear Review:Merino Wool

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gear Review:Merino Wool

Postby Kessler10 » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

As I have gotten into back country hunting the last 5 years, Merino wool is at the top of my list for most important gear. Alongside things like pack and boots.

There are lots of brands out there for merino wool and I have field tested a few. The top are Sitka and First Lite for me. Kuiu was pretty far down on my list (and this just my preference). I wear sitka next to skin then wear first lite as my pant and top.

The ability to have my cloths/layers be able to dry out quickly, lightweight/pack-able, not stink after a few days of intense physical exertion in low/high temps, being silent, and comfortable is important to me. All these things allow me to stay out in the back country longer. And especially if I am solo hunting its just another comfort that helps me push through that extra night or extra mile. One thing I have found with solo back country hunting is..... find a couple pieces of gear/items that really make you comfortable and don't skimp on those things or forget them. It can mean the difference from me pushing through one more ridge or one more night that could be the difference in a full freezer or empty freezer. those couple pieces of gear/items that "does it for you/keeps you comfortable" in the back country can vary from hunter to hunter.

For me its my merino wool, a small book, and hot chocolate. Again these are just my comfort items.
As having a great pack, boots that fit and are tested, kill kit, and a bow you feel comfortable with are of course more vital to actually making the kill and getting the meat out without spoiling than a book and my packs of hot chocolate. Ive never tried throwing a book or hot chocolate at an elk, but thinking it wont be as deadly as my bow. And not sure how much help my book or hot chocolate would be to get meat out quickly on a balmy early Sept afternoon?

Merino wool keeps me warm in the mornings, and when the sun comes out and I sweat if keeps me cool and drys super quick.
Its such a functional fabric in all kinds of seasons.

Id be interested to know what others consider their comfort items?
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Re: Gear Review:Merino Wool

Postby Swede » 01 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

You mention three brands of merino wool. What is the difference, if any, between them and say Cabelas, that is a lot less expensive?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

There are also a lot of different clothing brands out there that make good merino clothes that arent "hunting brands." Some like wooly clothing company (which i really like) or smartwool which merino wool is their main thing, and others like filson or pendleton that have some merino offerings. I know you have to go with the hunting brands if you care about camo, but are camo base layers really necessary?
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have merino base layers and synthetic. I went through a stage where I always wore merino. Then, I gravitated back to synthetics as a base layer purely for the comfort (exception is socks, I still only use merino socks by Smartwool or Kenetrek). I still would be super itchy at the end of the day. I have mostly Smartwool for my base layers. I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of stink my Sitka synthetics have at the end of a day of hard hunting. Last year, I just rotated out my synthetics and didn't use any merino baselayers. Again, it was only the itching that made me switch back, I love everything else about merino base layers. And merino socks are just purely the best there is.
Tigger

Postby Old school » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Tigger - I've got the exact same problem. Love my merino, but my base layer tops and bottoms are causing me to itch. When whitetail hunting I wear Badlands base layer - bamboo and poly mix and then wear the merino on top of that and it seems to help. My merino is a mixed bag of some I got a Cabelas, some Core4Element and some First Lite. They've all held up real well and seem to have similar feel and durability for me.

What brands of synthetic seem to work best for multiple day use such as an elk hunt? We usually camp by a creek so my plan would be have 2 pair - after using for a day, rinse in the creek and hang in tent to dry.

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Indian Summer » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

“The itch” is what separates some brands of merino wool from others. Sitka is smooth as silk. Whatever the brand the fact that it doesn’t retain body odor is awesome. Synthetics such as Under Armor downright stink after only a day or two. I’m a big fan of merino base layers myself.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 7]

One of the best buys of merino wool socks I have found is the ones Costco sells. If you ever see them carrying the Paradox brand of merino wool and poly base layers, you can't go wrong with those either.

Besides warm dry clothes, my most important piece of gear is my bedding
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 01 05, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Ive never felt the least bit itchy from any merino. You guys are nuts.
wawhitey

Postby Indian Summer » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:Ive never felt the least bit itchy from any merino. You guys are nuts.

Are you calling us itchy nuts? :lol: Couldn’t resist!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkhntr08 » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 10]

If ya got itchy nuts, you better see the doctor.
Elkhntr08

Postby wawhitey » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Elkhntr08 wrote:If ya got itchy nuts, you better see the doctor.

Why bother? The doctor will just tell you to scratch them yourself.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 12]

I thought that was the whole idea of merino wool. No itch.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 01 06, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Regular wool really bothers me but now even Merino bothers me - to a much lesser degree.

I’ve checked into so many different options as far as remedies to wool allergies and haven’t found anything up to this point.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby Kessler10 » 01 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:There are also a lot of different clothing brands out there that make good merino clothes that are not "hunting brands." Some like wooly clothing company (which i really like) or smartwool which merino wool is their main thing, and others like filson or pendleton that have some merino offerings. I know you have to go with the hunting brands if you care about camo, but are camo base layers really necessary?

I have tested some other merino brands (that are not FL, kuiu or Sitka). One thing I noticed from one specific merino brand that was not a hunting brand (the name escapes me) is it wore out faster. Started to get small holes and fraying. Granted I am pretty hard on my merino wool. I wear it a lot for hunting/hiking/training. I still have the same sitka base layer from 5 years ago and I wear it on every hunting trip. the only small hole it has was self inflicted from a barbed wire.

the main thing I have found is some brands of merino hold up better than others after you use them a lot, wash them, etc.

I also do feel some merino is more comfortable than others. For example I do find KUIU merino to be what you guys call the "itchy balls" :D Its not terrible and maybe a guy wouldn't notice it until he tries sitka merino. But to me KUIU merino did have just a hint of that itch that I do not want any merino wool that I wear to have even a little bit of. Especially if wearing next to skin.

the other thing to consider is you can get different "weights' of merino. I.e. how heavy/warm is it. the lighter the merino in KUIU the more itchy it was, at least to me.

So to answer your question I think NO, having base layers be camo are not necessary. I just find that I want to ensure i have the very best merino on my base layer as that is what is next to skin. And for me that is sitka and they have camo of course. And there are times I just hunt in my sitka base layer. I would probably hunt in it even if it wasnt camo. Just get a more neutral color like grey or forest green.

So I think a guy can find some more reasonably priced merino base layers that are not camo and find one that works for him. the one caution I would have is it just may not hold up as long.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Lefty » 01 13, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Swede wrote:You mention three brands of merino wool. What is the difference, if any, between them and say Cabelas, that is a lot less expensive?

Price?

I really don't know.
The problem with many of the marino wool underwear is it is thin and doesnt provide a lot of insulation . I wear it for the antimicrobial and getting wet properties.
Ill wear one or two layers of Marino wool hunting( Cabelas). I buy the cheaper Costco Heater long underwear if Im not worried about odor control.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H