Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Game Bags

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Game Bags

Postby Swede » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 1]

There are a lot of game bags out there. What properties do you look for in a game bag, or is whatever Malwart has good enough? Is their one brand or model that you like better than others. If so, why?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Game Bags

Postby six » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I used TAG bags last year. I see no reason to use anything else. A few years ago I used Malwart bags. Shot a cow at 9 am. Last load was at the truck at 11 pm and we had to rinse the fly eggs off the meat in the creek. Good bags are a small price to pay in my opinion.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lsb » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I've been using Alaskan deer socks. Thick enough and I can sack up a mule deer on the carcass.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Been liking the synthetics the past handful of years, namely, the VIAM Outdoors bags. They weigh nothing, breath, are tight woven to completely block out bugs, and are washable. You can get them in several different configs/sizes.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 02 04, 2019 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Been liking the synthetics the past handful of years, namely, the VIAM Outdoors bags.

When I got the elk back from the butcher last September, it was the wrong critter. I also got the wrong bags. I think they were the VIAM Outdoor ones. They seem to be good bags, but they had tear holes in them. I do not know how they were treated, or how many times they were used.

I have a lot of Allen Game bags and Remington game bags. They seen to hold up ok, but are hardly great. They do a good job of keeping the meat clean and the insects off. Basically they are identical bags as far as I can tell.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Mine have to be tough but lightweight and not bulky. Tight weave... no cheesecloth junk. I love that Tagbags and Viam are so easy to rinse clean. That’s a huge bonus of newer synthetic bags.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Pillow cases from Goodwill, or bed sheets that are still in good shape and my wife sews them into a bags. I get a bunch of years of them, For short packs , I put the bagged quarters in garbage bags so the pannier stays a bi t cleaner,then take them out as soon as I get to camp. Those heavy canvas panniers are hard to get the blood out.

I'm a cheap SOB
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 05, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I think mine are Caribou brand from RMEF. They have been used quite a bit...at least 7 times that I can think of. One of them has a couple of holes in it thanks to a sharp bone, but otherwise, wash and reuse. they also have some reflective ribbon on them to make them easier to find in the dark.

Wanna get rich? figure out how to make some helium-impregnated bags..... :D
Tigger

Postby BrentLaBere » 02 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:I think mine are Caribou brand from RMEF. They have been used quite a bit...at least 7 times that I can think of. One of them has a couple of holes in it thanks to a sharp bone, but otherwise, wash and reuse. they also have some reflective ribbon on them to make them easier to find in the dark.

Wanna get rich? figure out how to make some helium-impregnated bags..... :D

I had a set of these and they worked awesome. Some years using them twice on elk and adding a deer in the mix. They lasted 8 years with a few years having multiple animals. Ended up with two small holes and some draw strings breaking, but I was very hard on them. Main reason I am getting new bags is because I think they weren't breathing as good after all the abuse and washing.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby CurlyTail » 02 07, 2019 •  [Post 10]

TAG Bags are awesome. Lightweight, compact, perfect size, tough. Caribou bags are very similar, just take a bit more room in the pack. Black Ovis Bags also about the same.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.