Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Pack on or pack off

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Pack on or pack off

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 23, 2019 •  [Post 1]

May be a stupid question, but do you shoot with pack on or off? Bowhunting, shooting with my pack on is not an issue. I practice that way, so no problem.
My issue is with a rifle. With pack on it adds better than 1” to my LOP. It flat doesn’t feel comfortable. Am I over thinking this (as usual)?
Elkhntr08

Re: Pack on or pack off

Postby Swede » 02 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I remove my pack. I have never shot anything with a pack on. I don't think I have ever shot anything other than standing. Maybe I have, but nothing comes to mind and shooting for me goes back nearly 60 years, and includes scores of things shot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Can’t remember ever shooting anything with my pack off for big game.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 02 24, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Generally pack off. With a rifle Ive killed game using my pack as shooting bags.
Ialways seem to spend a lot of time looking for my pack after if I take it off when pursuing elk,.. :oops:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 02 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Both... I sometimes will only use my left shoulder strap and waistbelt on my pack, then clip the chest harness under my arm to suck the right side fairly tight. It isn't super comfy for walking, but I know I can make a snap shot if needed. Given more time to shoot I just slide the shoulder strap out of the way with the butt stock of the gun.

But I practice getting on target with the backpack on, just in case I have to make a quick shot.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby ishy » 02 25, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Solo I leave it on, just in case I need to give chase and forget where I left it. If with a caller then I feel much more anchored and will take it off.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L