Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lightweight/Compactable Puffy Jacket...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lightweight/Compactable Puffy Jacket...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Whatcha got and how do you like it? I think every hunter needs a lightweight (under 1LB) puffy layering jacket to throw on when sitting/glassing/taking a mid day lunch break, you get the picture 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Lightweight/Compactable Puffy Jacket...

Postby Elkhntr08 » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Just picked up a Sitka Kelvin and it came yesterday. Like the looks of it and looking forward to putting it to use this fall.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lefty » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Whatcha got and how do you like it? I think every hunter needs a lightweight (under 1LB) puffy layering jacket to throw on when sitting/glassing/taking a mid day lunch break, you get the picture 8-)

My wife and all three daughters have a lightweight fluffy jacket, I don’t
I do have an nice warm cabelasjacket with lots of down
More of a Minnesota North Dakota type jacket.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

You’re a good pop and husband Lefty. Gotta keep the pack geared up properly.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 03 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Costco puffy. Also useful if sleeping bag isn't warm enough, can be a pillow if stuffed into its pocket. Affordable, just replace it if it fails.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Tigger » 03 04, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I have three pieces of the Sitka Kelvin series and absolutely love each of them. I would highly recommend the jacket, vest or Lite Hoody. All keep you warm way beyond their weight. I have not used my wool much at all since getting them. Watch for them on Camofire.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I don't care for puffy jackets as I am concerned that they will deflect my arrow when I shoot. I wear a down vest when it is cold and may wear two. I avoid baggy and puffy. I need to lose a few more pounds so my F.S. down vest is not over tight.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 03 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I have a Sitka Kelvin vest. I love it. I don't consider it a puffy though. It's a great insulation layer but a puffy is down and serious business. You can hike with Kelvin stuff on but you are stationary if you have down on. My puffy is a Cabela's I picked up when winter was over and they were clearing the racks for summer clothing. It serves me fine.

As far as Sitka goes a product that would serve the purpose of a puffy would be their Incinerator jacket. I have that and the Incinerator bibs. But unlike a true "puffy" they don't compress down to as small of an item. I can jam my puffy into a gallon zip lok bag. Pretty small for an item with such high end insulating properties. To

My definition of a puffy: An on the go sleeping bag with extremely minimal bulk.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 05, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I have a bunch of synthetic puffy jackets but I am not sure of the weight. I have a couple from Badlands that are tough and fairly warm but they don't pack down all that small. I have a Browning Primaloft, a KUIU Kenai, and a First Lite Uncompaghre. I also have a couple Primaloft puffies from Cabelas. I think they are all decent and serve their purpose. Unfortunately, none keep me particularly warm when it is below freezing and I am not moving.

I recently bought a First Lite Chamberlin Down jacket. It is a pound and a half and packs down pretty small. It is stuffed with 800-fill down. I know down has its risks but I have been happy with the warmth of this jacket. It has more down in it than any other hunting puffy that I found.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Indian Summer » 03 05, 2019 •  [Post 10]

"Down has it's risks". Yes if down gets wet it's useless. But the Sitka Incinerator series uses waterproof down. Pretty nice stuff.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 05, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I have a few including a Sitka Kelvin that mysteriously found its way into my hunting closet after last year :o. It belongs to my buddy Joe and it is absolutely one of the best lightweight, packable jackets I've ever used. I have a Kuiu Pelotin that I like also, but, it's not as lightweight or packable as the Sitka, and, a couple of vests that make their way into my pack on some trips. I may pick up one of these and give it a whirl this fall...... This critter comes with a hood which is nice and heck, it's made in Winona, Minnesota... how can you go wrong with that :D.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/mens-t ... et-custom/
WapitiTalk1

Postby Old school » 03 05, 2019 •  [Post 12]

First Lite Cirrus in ASAT is my favorite. Also have the First Lite Uncompahgre in ASAT.

-Mitch
Old school

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Sitka just came out with a new lightweight jacket..... at around 8 ounces, it'll be on my radar at some point :D .

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/flash-pullover/optifade-subalpine?utm_source=2019%20-%2009%20-%20Flash%20Pullover%20FULL%20RETAIL&utm_medium=email
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 14]

Joe mentioned that down is useless when it gets wet. Is there anything that you guys are using as insolation that does not require rain gear if it starts to rain steady or hard? I wear down when it is cold, but if it is raining I put on my rain coat and pants too. When it is raining with temperatures in the upper 30s and low 40s, rain gear is just my top layer.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 15]

Unfortunately, unless its actual rain gear......all materials will eventually soak through. Good news is that many of the manufacturers synthetic stuffing material will continue to keep your core warm even when wet, and, they dry out very quickly when you get back to camp by some heat, or, as old Swede used to say..... "walk it dry" ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 03 07, 2019 •  [Post 16]

WapitiTalk 1 and I have both experienced sunny days in October when there has been no rain for a coupe of weeks or more; when a short walk through the brush has you soaking wet. It can be relatively cold on those mornings and the dew is nothing less than a drizzling rain. The ground is wet and the leaves on the brush are loaded to maximum capacity with water. We have a thread on the elk forum on Rookie mistakes. Not having rain gear in your vehicle, ready and available is a "rookie mistake". I could have added this mistake to my list, but it goes without saying that if you are not paying attention and thinking, this will happen. It is odd how the leaves will dry our long before you do. It is not funny how long your feet will stay wet.
Swede

Postby lilshootergirl » 03 23, 2019 •  [Post 17]

I bought a rain coat and puffy, when it got to 19degrees I put it on, it was great, no wind, no wet, really comfy, not heavy or binding my movements!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Lefty » 03 24, 2019 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:,,,, uses waterproof down. Pretty nice stuff.

I bought my first down sleeping bags because of new treated down . Amazing stuff

There are still a few technical synthetics out here like Thermaloft when wet provide decent warmth,
I balanced weight, warmth and risk went with down on my bag.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 24, 2019 •  [Post 19]

Swede wrote:,,,,,, Not having rain gear in your vehicle, ready and available is a "rookie mistake".,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

the short time
When I lived in the wet side of Washington State. We worked in rain gear and wool. and changed out when wet and cold ( because you were generally wet)
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 27, 2019 •  [Post 20]

Heads up
Our local Costco is clearancing Marmot puffy jackets cheap $20 but only in puke green( I didnt know Costco clearanced items )
Lefty