Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Seam Grip Tent Seam Sealer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Seam Grip Tent Seam Sealer?

Postby Indian Summer » 03 20, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Has anyone used this product to seal tent seams? It looks like the best option. If so any tips? I’m going to try applying it tonight on my Buckstitch spike tent.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: Seam Grip Tent Seam Sealer?

Postby BrentLaBere » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 2]

havent used that exact product, but a silicone one that worked out good. What was recommended is to pitch the tent and apply with a brush. Let it stand until it is dry. The tent was a kifaru and they supplied the silicone.
Pretty straight forward process.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Indian Summer » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I put a first coat on. One is probably all that’s needed but I figure a second coat will use less and go on quickly and easily so I’m going to do it. I used a small brush that came with it. I applied a fair amount of pressure to force it into the needle holes before lightening up on the brush strokes to leave an even film. It dried pretty quick although I did leave the tent up until the next day. So far so good.
Indian Summer

Postby gperdue4 » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Shrink your tent first and the seam should leak. New tents leak. set it up and soak it and the sun will shrink it. Once you start treating your tent you will find you always will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
gperdue4

Postby gperdue4 » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Shouldn't leak

gperdue4

Postby Lefty » 03 21, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Wehad a couple tents starting to leak slightly We applied a canvas sealer to all our scout troops Spring Bars,.. Really worked great for years. Unfortunatley girls camp built big fire close tot the tent ,... didnt stop ash ash from burning holes in one tent.

well worth the time, money and effort for the benefits
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 03 23, 2019 •  [Post 7]

gperdue4 wrote:Shrink your tent first and the seam should leak. New tents leak. set it up and soak it and the sun will shrink it. Once you start treating your tent you will find you always will.

That’s for conventional canvas. Very familiar with that. But the Buckstitch Litent material is different. It doesn’t swell when it gets wet. It requires a seam sealant. It rained here so I pulled the tent down. Going to put it back up and apply the second coat later this coming week.
Indian Summer

Postby Indian Summer » 04 07, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Well I applied the sealant. I love it! It leaves a nice flexible soft rubbery coating. I’m going to add a second coat when I have the time and dry weather. No doubt it was work to properly brush on to every seam. But come elk season I know I’ll be sitting inside with a smile on my face regardless of the weather outside. Every time I pick the tent up I’m reminded of why I bought it. It’s so darn lightweight for such a quality shelter. Easily backpackable. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve camped away from the truck. To say I’m excited is an understatement! Now to order my wood stove.
Indian Summer