Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lets talk bugle tube?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lets talk bugle tube?

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Ok gents ( and ladies)
What are you using for your bull elk bugles.
Ill be up-front, When I first started archery elk hunting I couldn't make a diaphragm call work. Thus with a tube I amplified some scary sounds when I had sound that wasnt just hissing and breathing sounds.
I ended up with the two "free" Primos Terminator and pack bugles both with the blue reed from Eastmans Subscriptions. . Once I felt confident I was making decent elk sounds,.. I got better. and Ive called in a lot of bulls using those two calls the past few years
I can use a domed or raised-pallet calls. And generally walk around with one in my mouth for cow/calf sounds. But its time to get a bugle for the diaphragms.

What do you have in bugles and why ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Lets talk bugle tube?

Postby Tigger » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Elknut Chuckler. Why? Well, we all know that Paul creates most of his grip and grin photos with Photoshop..... :o :shock: ......but I think he has probably shot a bull or maybe 2 in his lifetime. Or at least he was with someone who did! So I went with his call. Mine came with an elk finder lens that if you look through it, the elk appear bright green like night vision binoculars even in broad daylight. I just scan a drainage and I can see all the elk in that drainage. You have to pay more for that model.

In all seriousness, it works great. I have called in a lot of bulls with it! I use a Wapiti River Reaper or Patriot for the diaphragm call. Paired together, they make up for my lack of calling talent and make me sound better than I have any right to expect.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Elknut Chuckler EL for me, hands down. It's light, compact, and sounds great! I'm still using the same diaphrams I started with some 35+ years ago, the old faithful Berry Big Bull doubles.... to date, as I'm sitting here, I have not found a longer lasting elk call.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Ever since Wayne Carlton came out with what he called ( the worlds first diaphgram elk call ), which in reality was nothing but the old Double D turkey call, everyone has been trying to come up with the perfect bugle tube to make it sound better. All the different tube makers have experimented with different tube length, different wall thickness. different diameters. larger or smaller holes. baffles, springs, dampeners, and what have you.

And wouldn't you know, all the guys selling these various contraptions claim theirs is the best. My question is, "If they are all different, how can each one be the best"? And if they are all so great, how come they continue to make the (new and improved version)??????

If you want to spent $30-$40 bucks for one that's your business. But you can go down to WallyWord and get a plastic whiffle ball bat for cheap to play around and experiment with. Almost forgot, the have a plastic stool plunger that doesn't sound too bad.

Hey! The elk really don't care what brand name tube you are using!!! :o :roll: I have tried just about all of them from various call makers/sellers. And I've even made several different styles myself. And they all will call in elk if you know what you are doing.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Tigger wrote:,,,,,, Mine came with an elk finder lens that if you look through it, the elk appear bright green like night vision binoculars even in broad daylight. I just scan a drainage and I can see all the elk in that drainage. ,,,,,,,,,,.
I think that the model I need,...

I was on Pauls site before I posted this thread. plus http://www.wapititalk.com/Hunting/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=580
I just wondered what else others are using and how they started or stay with a particular bugle.

I used the Primos calls because they were easy to learn,.. now its time for me to move on. I feel I need more volume. I also believe a mouth diaphragm gives me a wider range of sounds over a blue reed Is quite limited

Im sure the boss will be good with this. So for Paul: Elknut could you inform us on some of the process of your call ? Why you have it made the way the Chuckler is made,.. and what you expect to get out of it.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2019 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, WallyWord and get a plastic whiffle ball bat for cheap to play around and experiment with. Almost forgot, the have a plastic stool plunger that doesn't sound too bad. ,,,,,,. And they all will call in elk if you know what you are doing.

Tried them both. I messed with the plastic bats years ago and eventually destroyed the bat
And the purple plunger,... got used :shock: :lol:
Expanded tubing, PVC, Poly. I can make elk sounds too,.. Im just looking for some discussion on what guys like of the characteristics of the calls they have.

Well I found that true with goose calls too.
Some calls in the goose hunting world were created to do slightly (or greatly ) different sounds. Some because of their simplicity are easy to learn, some use less air,.. some the pitch sends the sound further, some its a matter of volume. And some are created for calling contests with all sorts of variables. Some ave different thickness length and widths of the reeds, the chambers are different . some the materiel , wood, poly or acrylic give different sounds. I found Delrin blew and sounded best in the cold, On and On, Like I mentioned It was easy to learn the blue reed.
then predators calls. Reeds made from , grass, plastics, open reeds, rubber-bands, paper bottles metal reeds kids squeaky toys you name it.

WW I just dont want to walk around the woods with a blaze orange Wally world wiffle-ball bat calling elk. ( Ok thats not true)
I like doing weird stuff. Just for kicks.
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 29, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Lefty: Get a can of camo spray paint. I like doing weird stuff just for the heck of it sometimes myself! :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I have a box full of grunt tubes and a Berry Thunder Bugle. Most of the time anymore I take the Berry Thunder Bugle and a diaphragm when I go out and call.
Last season I coaxed in 5 hunters within one hour on the day I set out to call. I did not make a sound on my bugle until I was about 1/2 mile from my truck. I have discovered that bugles are a darn good way to meet hunters in the field. Some are locals, some weekend warriors and others come from far distant places. I have found there is a real variety of nice folks out there.
When I got back to the truck, the bugle went into the box and stayed there for the remainder of the season.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 03 29, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:,,,,,,,
Last season I coaxed in 5 hunters within one hour on the day I set out to call. .

You need to start a thread on called in hunters.

I think we called in two fellows.

But we also had a three guys but in while we were working a number of bulls

Swede you may need to walk in a bit further to have less meet and greet!
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I think I was about 1 1/2 miles from the truck when I turned back. It was steep and mostly uphill going back. The temps were in the 80s. I don't want to be a lazy hunter. Well I do, but I don't want to admit it. But if someone would come and pack out my elk, or get it on a leash and lead it to the truck, I would hike 3-4-5 maybe 6 miles back for my hunt. But as long as it is a do-it-yourself affair, I am limiting myself to about 2 miles. I was hunting about 2 1/2 miles back three years ago, but I was younger then.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 29, 2019 •  [Post 11]

I’ve seen Swede in action a few years ago. He can hike them damn elevation changes pretty darn deep into the elk woods like he’s part goat, no kiddin.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 30, 2019 •  [Post 12]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:he’s part goat, no kiddin

Old goat. :D
Swede

Postby Lefty » 04 07, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:he’s part goat, no kiddin