Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thumb releases

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thumb releases

Postby wawhitey » 04 05, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Anybody hunt with them? Thoughts? Just tried one out for the first time today, not expecting to really dig it. Felt awesome. Very natural. Just ordered one, think im a convert.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Thumb releases

Postby Fridaythe13th » 04 05, 2019 •  [Post 2]

What did you order? I've been looking at them not sure there for my style of hunting. My big question is where do you put the darn thing when your running and gunning. Clip it on your string and hope it don't fall off. Or put it in your pocket. Not a big fan of of those choices. The wrist strap just fits like a watch, and its ready to go. But I'm still looking.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby wawhitey » 04 05, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Ordered a tru ball trex, if i dont like it ill sell it and try something else. I wont be using for running and gunning, but for treestand whitetail hunting. So when my bow is hung up ill leave the release clipped to the loop, with a spare in my pocket incase of the almost inevitable stupid screwup im prone to while hunting.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby IdahoD » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Been hunting with a thumb release for elk for years. My Carter has a small hole on the lever that locks the jaws, I just put a key ring through that and attach it to a wrist strap. Works slick and keeps it where you need it. It is nice to take that off and hang it when in a treestand too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
IdahoD

First Name: Austin
Last Name: Dahl

Postby jmez » 04 20, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I hunt with a thumb release. I keep it in R front pants pocket. Knock on wood,. I've yet to lose it. I don't like my release dangling from my wrist.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Roosiebull » 04 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I bought a stan shootoff last winter, and loved it. I was a convert pretty quick, and I couldn't imagine anything better than the shootoff. I just sold all of my compound stuff to my buddy or i'd send it to you to try. it's a sweet release
Roosiebull