Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Vortex diamondback spotter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Vortex diamondback spotter

Postby Unadinart » 04 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

I know the golden rule in optics, you get what you pay for.
That being said I’ve got swaro Binos and Leupold and Zeiss riflescopes that I love.
Now I’m in the market for a spotting scope.
I’ve never owned a vortex product but their warranty looks great, and I love a great warranty. I can’t swallow dropping two grand on a spotting scope. I’ve been pretty successful on plenty of hunts without one.
So I’m considering the 60 mm diamondback spotter https://tacticsfaq.com/vortex-diamondba ... ndback-hp/ — anybody have strong feelings or opinions about it?
I’d love some input because I know a lot of you western fellas have spent tons more time looking through the long glass than me. Any input is appreciated
Unadinart

Re: Vortex diamondback spotter

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 04 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum mister; glad to have you on board!

OK, spotters. I've "looked" through some pretty high end units and yep, they are amazing pieces of gear for many reasons. That said, a few years back when Elknut was a Vortex dealer, I talked to him about a recommendation for a spotter for me that wouldn't break the bank, and, was light enough to not kill me when thrown in my hunting pack. Without hesitation, he recommended a Vortex Razor HD 11X33X50. The unit is light (25 ounces), crystal clear, possesses great adjustability, and good low light capabilities. I've used it on backpack hunts, out of my truck, and on the range and really like the unit. For a few hundred more than the Diamondback, I'd recommend you look at one of these if your budget will allow. And yes sir, you cannot beat the Vortex warranty and customer service. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Vortex diamondback spotter

Postby RAMMONT » 04 28, 2019 •  [Post 3]

The Diamondback series isn't really a high quality optic. Vortex makes their optical products in tiers from bottom to top; Crossfire, Diamondback, Viper, Razor. I always recommend the Viper or better, I sell Vortex optics and I have several, all of them are Vipers or Razors.
RAMMONT