Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Optics for glassing?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Optics for glassing?

Postby Totoro » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hey fellas, not interested in brands, but does anyone use bino in a chest rig, 12x or 15x bigeyes then a spotter?

Yeah, I know its extra weight to carry but wondering if any advantage offsets the weight penalty.

Speaking for myself, I tote around a 15x and a 85mm spotter in big open mule deer country and while heavy, the 15x help me cut out a fair amount of walking and decision making.

Thoughts?
Totoro

Re: Optics for glassing?

Postby Swede » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I have never hunted with that size of binoculars, but they seem too much for me. Since you have the 15X spotting scope, why not just use it to focus on distant ground and size up trophy quality? Use a 8X or 10X pair of binoculars to locate. I am not much for packing any extra weight or bulk.
I am curious what weapon you are shooting?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Totoro » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Thx for the reply Swede.

My weapon of choice is a magnum rifle when hunting out of state.

My local in-state public land hunts for blacktails, muleys, hybrids are in National Forest so lots of heavy timber with the only major openings in clear cuts or burns.

The 8x is fine for here.

Where I have hunted in Wy, Mt, Co for muley the 8x were lacking for me as I could see the deer but unable to judge quality without having to pull the spotter over then eyeballing them.

With 15x I covered a lot more ground and judged quality quicker and if I really needed to count the ticks on it, then I grabbed the spotter.

Jumping up to elk size, I wonder if dropping the lower power 8x and high power 15x for a tweener 12x and retain spotter would have any merit.

Thoughts?
Totoro

Postby wawhitey » 05 03, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Ive found having 15x binos on a tripod enables me to locate animals i never would have seen with handheld binos. If youre willing to haul that stuff around its a great tool. Easy to spot critters, and i can spend all day looking through them comfortably.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 05 04, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I carry a set on 10x in a harness and a 15-45x 60 spotter in the pack. Got a set of 12x but I like the 10s for all around.
Elkhntr08

Postby Swede » 05 05, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Totoro: Whatever you like is probably best for you. You strike me as a young man that believes bigger is better. I asked about your gun thinking you likely shoot a belted case cartridge. Bigger is better. I would rather shoot a 300 Savage than a 300 Magnum. It is just personal preference. I do not remember the last time I shot my 338Win M. It is not fun to shoot anymore. If you prefer the heavier stuff, just enjoy it. You might get a deer that I would not have even seen.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 05 06, 2019 •  [Post 7]

15 power binos require a tripod. I’m pretty sure nobody wants to have to set that up every time you want to glass. So get a pair of 10x42 binos and when you really do want a more detailed view pull out the right tool for the job and set it up since you already own a spotter.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 05 06, 2019 •  [Post 8]

One side benefit of lugging around all o that equipment is that you will slow down and look things over. A person won't be quite so quick to move on. You will see more game not running away. I think.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 06, 2019 •  [Post 9]

A good set of 10x42 binoculars has long been the standard, or should I say. the most popular glass for elk hunting out west. But if you prefer to pack a spotting scope along on your hunt, that's up to you. You might want to consider the extra weight and the size a scope and tripod would take up in your pack. It's all up to you!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 05 06, 2019 •  [Post 10]

The first question is are you sure you’re in an area that is open enough to use a spotter? In Montana I don’t even bring one to camp. In Wyoming I take it out every day and use it.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 05 15, 2019 •  [Post 11]

wawhitey wrote:Ive found having 15x binos on a tripod enables me to locate animals i never would have seen with handheld binos. If youre willing to haul that stuff around its a great tool. Easy to spot critters, and i can spend all day looking through them comfortably.

My brother in law uses electronically stabilized 20x Im impressed with them,.. .
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Totoro » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Many thx for all the replies gentlemen!
Totoro

Postby Swede » 05 25, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Over the years I have acquired some things I rarely use. A spotting scope is one of them. They have their place, but I almost never pack it around. It stays in or near the truck when it comes out of my hunting room, which is rare. If you are hunting fairly open country I would go with a high quality 10X binocular and if you are in semi-open timber it would be an 8X. For me going fairly light is more important than the additional critters I can see with a spotter or even a larger pair of binoculars. I do like the spotting scope at the pickup in open country.
Swede