Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Vortex Fury HD

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Vortex Fury HD

Postby Indono » 05 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Anyone use them?
I'm having a hard time taking a Viper HD 10X42 price of $499 retail, combining it with a Ranger 1500 retail of $449 and adding a couple hundred bucks.
Is the time saving and convenience really worth that?
Very happy with my Diamondback 10/42 and Nikon Prostaff 7i.
But it would be nice to look and range at the same time.
I really like the Vortex warranty, but not sure I can spend the money, let alone extra to put it all in one.
I'm not even considering the Swaros or anything in that price range.
Any thoughts and/or reviews on the Fury HD's?
Indono

Re: Vortex Fury HD

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Indono!

Man, I don't know. I pack both binos and a rangefinder and that combo works fine for me (Zeiss Binos and Sig Sauer RF), but, my hunting partner brought his new bino/rangefinder rig up last year and it was a sweet setup (Leica if I remember right). Those Vortex Fury's look like they would be a primo setup for sure! I think if you're primarily a bow hunter, those upper crust bino/RF combos would be a bit overkill, but, if you dabble in rifle hunting..... a bino/RF setup would earn its keep in your hunting tool kit for sure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Fridaythe13th » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have no idea if it work better or worse. I prefer the binos and range finder separate, only because if the elk is coming in quickly it not a two handed operation. But check out James river archery there on sale for $950.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Swede » 05 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Again, welcome to the forum Indono. I have no experience with that setup, but have found Vortex's better products are a good investment. I assume with all products; you get what you pay for.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 5]

You stated you were very happy with what you presently have. So if it ain't broke, why fix it!!! If it were me, I'd save my $1200 bucks for something else.

For archery elk I find I can accurately judge yardages very well within my self imposed shooting range limits. So I never find a need for a range finder. But for antelope, it's a little different story. When I hunt from a blind over a water hole, there is just something about judging distance over water that messes with my mind. A range finder in that case is valuable. But when they are in my effective range there is no need for the binoculars. But that's just me.

Nobody can tell you what would work best for you. In the end, I suppose it all comes down to what ever floats your boat!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I often do not take my binoculars with me to a tree stand, but I always have my range finder. If the two were all together I would probably take the binos. too, but they are not necessary in a tree stand where shots will all be under 30 yards and the elk are there or not.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics