Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Over-Doing It

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Over-Doing It

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2019 •  [Post 1]

The other day I got a new Leupold rifle scope. Wow! In everyway it seems super. It is far superior to my older Leupold rifle scopes. It is clear, bright and they inform me I can see to shoot 20 minutes more per day than other scopes will generally permit. I suppose it is true. It has an easily visible duplex reticle and a large objective lens. The cost to me is $323, so I got to wondering what could I have gotten in a scope that costs ten times as much?
This too got me to thinking again. I never had anything like this scope as a kid or young adult. In fact, I have never had anything like it before; ever. The hunting industry just keeps improving on everything; from the clothes we wear to the food we eat. Back in the day I thought nothing was wrong with the iron sights on my gun, or peeling spuds for dinner and never considered myself disadvantaged. For all it's worth, I would give it all up to go back in time to hunt where we camped just off an old dirt connector road, and never saw another vehicle or person for several days in a row. We sure are getting better equipment in this age, but we are not getting better hunting on average.
This has me thinking again. Maybe this year I will draw one of those super tags I keep applying for, and be able to hunt a limited entry unit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Over-Doing It

Postby Lefty » 05 27, 2019 •  [Post 2]

As a punk 13 year old shooter I bought my first scope for my 10/22. Had it drilled and tapped, at that time .22 only came with 3/4 inch scope mounts,.. mostly junk scopes .
I had a neighbor that was into precision long distance shooting, who got me squared away . I also wore glasses, and as a kid had lots of money when copper was$2.00 a lb. Purchased a Leopold scope,.. But we couldn't bring the cross-hairs where they needed to be.
Ended up with a Redfield 2-7 Widefield . I was shooting better than any bullets

I ended up with a 3-9 Widefield for my .308 I shot until Redfield ( or who ever they were replaced both scopes)
I put a Leopold on my 10/22 last spring traded in a couple muzzleloaders, a Stevens .22 and a German Mauser a a bit of cash for new scopes. Just incredible glass.

In 1990 I bought a pair of Leopold Binos,..$425. Sent them in for repair and they replaced them with cheaper cost wise. But last night I kept eye on a bair bait until the end of LSH. Well too late o shoot open sights
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 05 27, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I never subscribed to that extra light gathering capability that lets one shoot in low light. Here in Colorado there are legal shooting hours. Which usually are timed so there is more than sufficient light.

It is like buying auto that can do180 MPH,but the speed limit never goes over 75 MPH here.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 05 28, 2019 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I never subscribed to that extra light gathering capability that lets one shoot in low light. Here in Colorado there are legal shooting hours. Which usually are timed so there is more than sufficient light.It is like buying auto that can do180 MPH,but the speed limit never goes over 75 MPH here.

When I lived in Washington there were some nights there was more than enough light even on cloudy days and depending on where you are locate4d both states shooting hours are set. a cloudy dark night and dependent on where you are physically located
But here in Idaho LSH dosent always provide enough light to make it approximate 30 minutes past sunset. some timber and mountain locations its just plain to dark to see even more so late season
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Old school » 06 06, 2019 •  [Post 5]

It's easy to over do it for the "just in case" which usually never happens. That is unless you don't over do it, then it's guaranteed to happen :-)

--Mitch
Old school