Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Decoy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Decoy

Postby Elkhntr08 » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Solo hunting in Wyoming this year. Starting around September 15 with my bow then picking up the rifle if needed.
Decoy, take it or leave it at home? Never hear much about them other than from tv hunters.
Elkhntr08

Re: Decoy

Postby Lefty » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 2]

. My daughter won a Montana Miss September
I cant say that it has helped or hurt us Maybe once where it helped. The herd hung up 60 yards from two of us caught in wide open timber Two of us stayed behind it.
In every situation The elk had hung up,.. we displayed the decoy and the elk hung around. Our experience, there doesnt seem to be a strong interest by the elk, but do not seem to be afraid or curious either

Met a fellow who uses Heads up decoys ,.. he was a believer
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I've seen the Heads Up decoys at a local Sportsman show (Puyallup, WA) and they do look like they'd work like a charm! Ironically, I'm working with Garrett Roe (Owner of Heads Up decoys) as I type this on becoming an advertising sponsor on our humble hunting forum ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 06 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have observed a lot of different reactions to decoys. I would definitely never use one around a tree stand.
If I was hunting alone on the ground and calling, I would take one. Still, you may observe a lot of different reactions. Some don't seem to care. They see it and still don't come close, or they hang up.
I speculate that the bull sees the decoy and no other elk, and does not want to come close to the fake bull. The real elk sees no other elk (cows) and hangs up, looks things over and leaves. That is my speculation. I wonder if they would come closer if they heard cow sounds mixed in? I believe you need to get out in front of the decoy, so when they hang up you are already within shooting distance.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Heads Up Decoy's is now an official sponsor on WapitiTalk. Very cool products!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ