Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

A better nights sleep

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

A better nights sleep

Postby Lefty » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 1]

We took out scout troop out camping Wednesday night.
Most of the scouts have converted to Hammock sleeping. Cheap, light weight and small Another leader used his cot in a tent. A few boys were on a variety of pads on the floor of the tent.

Iv had terrible weeks after trying to use a hammock or cot
My FIL's elk camp a couple guys from Minnesota has single metal framed beds with old school springs with a mattress on top,,, yep and gaudy carpet on the ground and pics of the Mrs framedand pinned on the tent wall Think of your grandma or great great grandmas spare bed room ;)

This trip I was on the solid foam with a 3 1/2 inch Cabelas 36x80 self inflating pad. I expect most of my hunt will be on the mattress in the RV

What do you sleep on away from home ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: A better nights sleep

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Ha, they can keep that whole hammock noise.
For base camp, a big slumber jack cot, inflatable Intec mattress (about 8” thick), and either a marmot trestles 15 degree or Teton (Cabela’s brand I think) 10 degree. I usually lean towards the Teton as it has flannel lining.
Backcountry, Nemo Tensor insulated pad (new this year), VIAM Outdoors 10 degree quilt, and a Nemo Fillo pillow. Yep, a hunter needs to get some quality ZZZs when they can ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby saddlesore » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 3]

By far,the best camp bed I have had was I bought a twin size bed frame, cut oak slots for it, made extensions for the legs, and cut a piece of OSB to lay on the slats. Then used twin sized air bed on that.The secret to those air beds is to put a heavy blanket or whatever on it and lay your bed roll on that Then every morning turn your bed roll back and let the body moisture that accumulated over night dry as you are out hunting.

When I packed into a big wall tent camp, I only took the air bed and a battery pump. Now I have a pop up camper on the truck with foam bed on it.

I have never liked foam because it absorbs your body moisture during the night and doesn't dry out.During the day,if it is freezing inside the tent that body moisture freezes and in the course of a week or so you wonder why every night you sleep colder and colder. You crawl into the sack it takes awhile for that frozen moisture to thaw,then you add more that night. It freezes the next day and so and so on.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 08 11, 2019 •  [Post 4]

I have a wide heavy sleeping bag, a cot and a memory foam pad that I sleep on. It is about as good as home.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 08 12, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I definitely sleep better in elk camp than at home. I'm sure physical exertion has something to do with that though. I have a xl cot, a Cabelas foam pad, and a memory foam topper on it. Just the right amount of firmness and softness. Throw a big quilted 20 degree bag on it and it becomes my personal cocoon. Most nights I sleep with the bag wide open though because the wood stove keeps the tent just a little to warm. Problems...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Elkduds » 08 17, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Base camp: Wide cot, 4" self inflating closed cell foam mattress, mummy bag to match sleeping temp, egg crate foam neck contour pillow.
Spike camp or truck bed: Luxury lite cot, closed cell foam insulating pad w reflective coating, mummy bag to match sleeping temp. Always 3 mg. zolpidem (ambien), same as @ home for bedtime.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott