Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Expanding Broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Expanding Broadheads

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

There has been some convincing arguments for expanding broadheads making a superior wound and providing a better blood trail. What I am wondering is if they can be relied on to open when you are shooting at a quartering to or away shot? Would the severity of the quartering angle make a difference?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Expanding Broadheads

Postby Lefty » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Idaho doesn't allow them. Or lighter nocks :evil:
Talking with an Iowa bow hunter who has killed dozens and dozens of whitetail with them. He thought they were great for deer,.. He had never shot an elk but said he didnt think they were a broadhead for elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ishy » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Huge thread on another sight from a hunter that lost a bull with a quartering too and a Rage head this year. They have video and he hits like 8inches behind the shoulder and gets terrible penetration. There are tons of opinions on both sides of the fence. One was an outfitter that doesn't let his hunters use any expandable for elk. There's an old Primos video that I share every time this conversation comes up because it is very eye opening how little penetration they get well behind the shoulder on a broadside bull. Can't imagine anyone seeing that a rib could stop an arrow like this and still trust expandables on an elk! I know lots of hunters do, but I can't after seeing this and hearing more stories. They recover this one, but I'm sure they were sweating seeing that much arrow hanging out. The shot is at the 8 minute mark.
https://youtu.be/i0t6HodUM8I
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Thanks guys for the thoughts. I have never shot an expandable broadhead at anything. It just seems to me that a quartering shot would cause the broadhead to expand before even the hide was fully penetrated and the blades were buried inside the elk. Trying to get a very wide broadhead to penetrate after having to break a couple of ribs would be inviting disaster. But like I said, I have never used one.
Swede

Postby Roosiebull » 11 03, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I think they are the same as everything else, equipment has limitations, and you must understand and stay within those limitations. i'm trying trypans late season to form an opinion... i'm curious (funny I start the season with a recurve, and will end with a compound and mechanicals :lol: )

i'm shooting a 353 ibo bow around 67lbs (65lb limbs maxed) and 611gr arrows. i wouldn't shoot mechs without some arrow weight, and i won't take frontal/quartering to shots with them either... the jury's out.

next year i'm focusing on the recurve, but when i'm hunting with the bugle tube, those days i just want to try to call a bull in, i will bring the compound, knowing how rushed those situations become when they work out, and the shot angles that come with solo calling. i will not be shooting mechanicals, i will likely be shooting a 700ish gr arrow, and iron wills (love those heads) that type of hunting i don't want to be AS limited on shot angles as i will be late season.

this year i only tried working 2 bulls (avoiding calling with my recurve) and both bulls ended up less than 10yds... i had to let them come too close, and of course felt more rushed, which isn't good when you are having a target panic issue with the weapon in hand.... makes it too easy to make mistakes (for me)

even though i really wanted to kill one with my recurve, there were days i would have brought a compound (both times i went out with intentions to call in a bull) i would have had some regret because I would have killed a bull with it if I had.... but.... I would have an elk in my freezer too. i'm not a purest and never will be, but I do like to challenge myself with hopes to have a long season, but the end goal is food.

every direction we go with bow and arrow setups, and broadheads... they all have limitations... a 700gr arrow and tough head will be more forgiving if shooting frontal or quartered to, but less forgiving if you are taking a 35yd shot and don't have time to range him. I think with the right combo, mechanicals are fine, and do open them up, but you do have to be realistic if you go that way..... they do lack penetration of many fixed heads, so you need more momentum to push them through (on elk) you also have to pick your head wisely, there are many mechanicals I wouldn't trust for elk, only a small handful i'd consider.
Roosiebull

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I think you have it figured out right Roosie. I am skeptical that they would help when shooting down from a tree stand.
Swede

Postby jmez » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I've shot deer with them. They make a big hole, they shed a lot of energy making that hole. I like a quartering to shot, I won't take it with a mechanical head. They simply don't penetrate as well as a fixed blade head.

Any angled shot with a mechanical can be a problem. You see it all the time in pictures. These 4-8 inch entrance wounds everyone is so proud of is simply the head skidding down the hide at an angle with one blade open cutting the hide. It slides along until the tip catches, has to then turn and enter the animal. A whole lot of wasted energy there.

No way I'd ever use them on an elk.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

jmez, you answered my question. Simple and clear. I like that.
Swede