Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

E-Bikes

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

E-Bikes

Postby Swede » 10 01, 2019 •  [Post 1]

There are a lot of brushed in roads where I am hunting and I am wondering if an e-bike would be helpful? Some of the roads go for miles and have downed trees here and there. Does anyone have any experience with them? I don't want anything that eats or needs veterinarian care.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: E-Bikes

Postby Lefty » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I wonder how long it will be before they will not be allowed in more locations but currently could be a good tool

My daughters have touring and my bikes.
Here in Pocatello I’d we have world class mountain biking ( people powered)

There are some places vehicles do not belong but maybe it doesn’t matter in some regions
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 04, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Like many( small battery) powered things, it won't be long before it will take only about half charge or so. And from what I have heard others say that actually own one, you still need to do a lot of pedaling on inclines.

Just for kicks, why don't you google up gasoline motor kits for bicycles. I saw a guy riding around town on one today. Looked pretty cool! :D You can buy the complete kit for $90 - $150. Slap it on an old bicycle and you are ready to go.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Like all other gasoline powered things, ATVs and gasoline powered bikes are illegal off road during closed fire season. It is a rare archery season where the forest I hunt is not closed to fires, off road machines, etc. etc. E-bikes are perfectly legal and easy to transport. If I had an ATV it would nearly fill my utility trailer, and I could not take it much farther than I can drive my pickup. After studying the whole situation and looking around at more options than I care to think about, I have ordered a Bakcou Mule from John at E-Bike generation. The Mule is designed by and for hunters and has great ratings. It probably will go places I won't. I suspect my grandson will ride it where I would walk it. I am looking forward to receiving it and checking it out. From all I have read the Mule is a great tool for young and old alike. I was concerned about that when I started studying the matter. A good e-Bike is a big investment, and no one I know of would want to end up with a white elephant in their garage. John at E-Bike generation is helpful and will definitely try to ensure you don't get into something just to make a sale.
I will post a picture of the Mule after I get it set up and test it some. I understand I will have to do some learning to become proficient with it. Anyway Saddlesore and I have something more in common. We both have a mule. I suppose it is a slight matter that his eats and the Bakcou Mule just needs its battery charged and a little maintenance.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 5]

One thing is for sure. You'll be the envy of every kid in town! ;)
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 10 12, 2019 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:One thing is for sure. You'll be the envy of every kid in town!

I do not live near town and the kids in the neighborhood drive fancy foreign cars. Don't worry about them. :D
Swede

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I got to thinking about WW's comment about being the envy of all the kids. My first reaction was to kind of scoff at the whole idea. Anyway, we don't have a lot of kids in the neighborhood. There are a lot more retirees nearby and I almost never see a kid outside, especially on a bike. I think they stay inside an play computer games. I really don't know, but now WW has me wondering if they would come out to ride a Mule. I won't find out as I don't anticipate the kids will see it. I am just wondering if some parents would do well to get their computer raised kids on an e-bike and let them get some fresh air and exercise.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Anxious to hear how you like it John. ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2019 •  [Post 9]

It is here and assembled. I have not charged the battery or filled the tires. That will be done tomorrow. I think I will need to educate myself a lot before I become proficient. Of coarse I am not all that proficient on a regular bike anymore either.
Swede

Postby Swede » 10 18, 2019 •  [Post 10]

I have ridden my Bakcou Mule for a couple of days now for about 15 miles. Here are some of my impressions on it:

The Mule is a hunting bike. It is built tough and has top quality components. It is set up for hunting and is painted for hunters. It is Verde camo colored. Verde is Spanish for green, but the bike is painted in camo. You can see it online.
The dealer (E-bike Generation) is excellent to work with and John is very helpful. The order came quickly (two days) and was just what we agreed too.
The bike is easy enough to assemble and adjust. The manufacturer sent a couple of rolls of green plastic in the box with the bike. I had no idea what they were for after completing the assembly, so I e-mailed the manufacturer. I got a quick response that they were tire liners to be put between the tire and tube. You probably would have known that, but I didn't. The only other thing I had trouble understanding was the adjustment of the fork shocks. Again I e-mailed the manufacturer to see what was required to soften it up some. Again I got a quick reply and simple instructions. Maybe I missed something, but I found no instructions with the manuals that are all online.
I got the bike with the standard battery. After riding it over 15 miles with significant uphill and downhill travel, I still have over 90% of the battery charge. I went mostly in mode 1 and mode 2 which requires more petal work, but it is not hard especially considering it is a fairly heavy bike. The information screen is easy to figure out and use. I did not spend much time looking at the instructions, but needed them some to get started.
Overall I am very impressed with the bike. It is easy to ride and petal. After riding for over 8.5 miles this morning my shoulders are a little tired, but not my legs.
The electric assist makes it seem to glide along much better than a regular bike would. The bike is pretty quiet. I don't think a deer or elk could hear you very far at all. The e-bike has some advantages over an ATV. I was planning to buy an ATV until my son asked if I had considered an e-bike. I am glad he suggested I look into one. I am glad I read some hunter discussion on-line about the Bakcou Mule.
Swede

Postby Swede » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 11]

DSCN0460.JPG
Swede's Mule
DSCN0460.JPG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4147 times
Swede

Postby Lefty » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:
DSCN0460.JPG

I like Joes E-bike better
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 30, 2019 •  [Post 13]

I am reminded that Harley is supposed to have an e-bike. Somehow I have a hard time visualizing a Harley hunting bike on an extended trail ride.
Lefty, did you know my Mule came from Utah? Likely it is used to smelling Postum. I will probably have to train it to accept the scent of real coffee in camp. That should be an easy conversion. :lol:
Swede

Postby Swede » 11 04, 2019 •  [Post 14]

I have been riding now for over two weeks and have over 100 miles on my new Bakcou Mule. Here is my take on e-bikes for hunting: They will not make hunting deer or elk easier. The e-bike is easy to learn and to use. The e-bike will not help you set up or shoot a critter. The e-bike will simply open up more area for a person to hunt. I can go farther and stay out longer with an e-bike than I could if I was hiking, or even using a bike with no motor assist. The e-bike is not noisy, and it will cause no measurable environmental damage. Certainly it will have less impact on the land than a horse. The biggest draw back is the cost. The e-bike does not do everything an ATV will and vise versa. They are a tool and if used thoughtfully they will be very helpful.
Swede