Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What's Your Dream Bow!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What's Your Dream Bow!!

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

If you could have any bow you wanted & have it setup with sights, rest, strings, peep, stabilizer, quiver, release, etc of your choice, what would it be?

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: What's Your Dream Bow!!

Postby pointysticks » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 2]

please please tell me that my wife put you up to this!!

ok, just in case she is reading this:

2013 Elite Hunter. 60-70 limbs..28" DL
spot hogg, hunter hogg it sight..7 pins with wraps.
Ripcord code red dropaway
tightspot quiver
Stokerized stab
G5 1/4" meta peep
any wrist sling would do..if it is braided leather.

i'll keep my trufire tornado release...it goes where i go.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I know better than to ask for another bow now, so I have not thought about it. I believe it would be a new PSE Pro Series, either the same or similar to the one that was posted lately on a different thread here. I like a good drop away rest and five pin sight that has long fiber optics. I like a quiet two piece quiver.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Harmy » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have no clue.

One with a string and sharp pointy sticks to put in it.

I will be interested to see how this thread shapes up as I really have no clue about the gear and accessories. I am poised to start spending money and it will help me to see what kinds of dream setups you guys have.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby blackwolf » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Hoyt Carbon Element with all the goods.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby planebow » 12 04, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Mathews Creed or Hoyt Carbon Element, Spot Hogg sight, Ripcord Red rest, 1/4" peep
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

After looking over my sons carbon element & watching/listening to him shoot it I would love a bow like hat one!! I'd use a ripcord rest, 4-arrow quiver to match, Montana Gold Ascent adjustable 4 pin sight & meta peep!!I use a Scott release at present & no need to change there! For arrows Easton Injexions tipped with Viper Tricks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby idahoghost » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I think I am shooting it. I bought an Element two years ago and love it, although the Matrix is really quite sweet as well. Now if I could just mate the FJM from the Element with a nice bull I could have a.....
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

this thread is super interesting..

with all the different cam designs and configurations..i am choosing my bow based on how easy it is to hold back at full draw for a long time!! that is why i picked the Hunter.

how is it on the Element? my good friend is selling one. he is asking too much..but time will drop the price. my Mathews Z7 is truly the wrong bow for me. the valley is "right there"..a millimeter away. it wants to take off like a hotrod. full draw for a long time..is a pipe dream in my hands.
pointysticks

Postby ElkNut1 » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Pointysticks, is your draw length on the bow too long? If so even a 1/2" can give off that pull out of your hand feeling when relaxed a bit!

My Son says the bow feels good at full draw, I know he shoots it very well! He just picked it up a couple weeks ago.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

ElkNut1 wrote:Pointysticks, is your draw length on the bow too long? If so even a 1/2" can give off that pull out of your hand feeling when relaxed a bit!

My Son says the bow feels good at full draw, I know he shoots it very well! He just picked it up a couple weeks ago.

ElkNut1

i dont think it is. i idid however, put the DL more in my favor by putting a thicker, older bow grip on my bow. it helped immensely. i also run my cam timing a bit off, to shorten my DL. i think i am "right there". i am not hyperextending my bow arm for sure.

i bought this bow without the knowledge i have now. my last bow the Switchback XT was perfect for me. mild, very round unaggressive cam. i could hold that bow forever. i should have never sold it. i didnt even gain that much fps with my new purchase.

i feel sorry for my next bow salesman. i am gonna make him show me everything..before i decide. we just dont have the caliber of bowshops some of you guys have..
pointysticks

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

For me, I think I'll just stick with what I have. There's been alot of critters that wish I didn't have it! I shoot a 2004 Mathews LX 36" A-A. It has a Ripcord Code Red rest, meta peep, STS, And a Mathews two piece quiver. No stabilizer. That's just extra weight and something else to to get hung up in the brush It is a little long for shooting from my old antelope blind. But that was an easy fix. I bought a taller blind> LOL! I hate those new short bows that are shorter than the arrow you're using. Everytime yo sit it down you get mud and dirt in the nocks.
Attachments
P1010414.JPG
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

OOPS! Forgot to mention the Black Gold Flashpoint sight.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dotman » 12 05, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I'm lucky, I have it :)

Hoyt, Shoots like a dream, very well balanced and wouldn't change a thing about it.
dotman

Postby cnelk » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 15]

i have a dream....
about every six years! :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Broken arrow » 12 06, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Already have mine :D a Jeffries custom recurve Douglas fir shafts from surewood shafts ( best wood shafts I've found I'd recommend them to anyone shooting traditional) and some old Bear greenies.
Bow 62@28" arrows with points right at 575 gr. can't wait till September ;) I may be a greenhorn but them elk better watch out!
Broken arrow

Postby buglmin » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Broken arrow, Im shooting cedar shafts, 30 3/8" at 607 grains with head...I though Douglas fir was heavier then cedar?
buglmin

Postby Broken arrow » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Buglmin at surewood you can give them a weight you are looking for and they will send them if they have something in that range. I tried to stick with elknut's findings on arrow weight vs penetration.
Broken arrow

Postby buglmin » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 19]

My shafts came from Paul at Elite Custom Arrows...dont think Surewood sells cedar. I bought from Paul cause all my shafts were the same spine, and that was a huge plus for me. Plus he doesnt charge extra for spining a dozen shafts. It was hard shooting wood, cause I've shot carbons since the late 80's out of my recurves.
buglmin

Postby Broken arrow » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I'll have to check them out I do like cedar more than fir but just haven't found the quality. As for carbon I've never shot it. I had a dozen aluminum shafts once but I've always shot wood.
Broken arrow

Postby buglmin » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 21]

Twig Archery, twigarchery.com, is making some beautiful shafts right now. Their taper shafts make an awsome arrow, and the shafts are a lil liter due to the tapering. They shoot and fly like a dream. I've killed nine bulls with carbon shafts and recurve/longbows, but now want to kill one with a cedar shaft and Zwickey Deltas...had several nice bulls under twenty yards this past season, but I was calling for friends or clients, so I couldnt dump the string...
buglmin

Postby Broken arrow » 12 07, 2012 •  [Post 22]

2013 will be my first time chasing elk. The thought crossed my mind to get a compound and all the trimmings but figured if it ain't broke don't fix it! (Never could hit anything with a compound just seems foreign in my hands) I did decide I'd take the recurve over my selfbow for the extra speed and power.
Broken arrow

Postby BaldBeaver » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 23]

I just purchased a Bowtech Insanity CPX in optifade forrest this year. I tis setup with a QAD Ultrarest HDX, a Spot Hogg Hogg it, a Bowtech Quiver (going to change that out), forget which stab I have I believe it is an apache. Currently shooting gold tips, but going to switch to FMJ's for elk. Its a gorgeous set up, however, I think I want a mathews. I like the bowtech, but would prefer a longer brace height. Considering selling the bare bow.
BaldBeaver

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Peterson

Postby Heartwood » 12 08, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Right now I'm liking the elite answer but need to test shoot some more. Want to try Hoyt vector 32, elite hunter and bowtech cxp. At present I'm shooting a Mathews drenlin and have killed 4 bulls with it but at 6 years old, bows have improved enough that I'm looking at new ones. Also have had to replace limbs twice because of cam lean and weak limb problems. Mathews did fix it to their credit. Looking to gain a flatter trajectory and improved shootability while
Remaining around a 4# bare bow.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby bowhunterty » 12 10, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Like the looks of the neew Primes by G5. Like my set up right now. Prime Shift, Trophy Taker rest, Axcel sight, G% quiver, Shooting Striker broadheads and FMJ's. But a Stalker Recurve may be in the future.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby foxvalley » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 26]

After shooting traditional for 20 + years,and not even owning a compound,(my last wheel bow was a darton,and shot savora broadheads)and watching many large bulls cruise past me at30, 40 yds. I decided to make the jump to light speed. I bought the Mathews Z7 with all the latest stuff.

1.I was shocked,no stunned at how much it costs to get set up with the latest stuff.

2.I was also stunned at how cool all the new technology is, and how sweet the new bows are.

3.I was also shocked at how long it took my brain to revert back to shooting a compound.

4. This bow better last me for the rest of my life,because I can't afford to do this again.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby cnelk » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 27]

foxvalley wrote:
4. This bow better last me for the rest of my life,because I can't afford to do this again.

Yeah right... NOBODY here has ever said that before... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby foxvalley » 12 11, 2012 •  [Post 28]

cnelk wrote:
foxvalley wrote:

Yeah right... NOBODY here has ever said that before... :)

The new Mathews DOES look pretty cool.........
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Heartwood » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Just bought a 2013 Elite Answer 28/65 ninja black off of archery talk. Got it at dealer cost from a private individual. Am excited to get it set up to shoot.
It happens to be the exact draw and poundage that I was going to order from Elite. Can live with the all black color but would have ordered camo limbs.
Had already shot this model at the local shop and liked it's smooth draw cycle and effortless hold. Also a very nice torque free handle and respectable but not blazing fast speed. Should make a great hunting bow as well as 3D. :) :) :)
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Hornhunter » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 30]

Im getting a hoyt spyder turbo here soon awesome bow cant wait to get it
Hornhunter

Postby T/H » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 31]

my dream bow is bowtechs new 2013 speedbow that is faster than anything out there and smooth to draw as well
T/H

Postby G Posik » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 32]

74# long bow that I already have. No need for sights and gadgets. Like some of the choices you guys have listed for the compounds.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby wideangle » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 33]

A Kota longbow night be in order.
http://www.kotabows.com/prairie_fire.htm
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 01 07, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Bow: Bowtech Invasion CPX: 27" @ 70#
Rest: Rip Chord Code Red
Sight: Black Gold Surge
Quiver: Tight Spot
Stabilizer: Octane
Release: Truball
Strings: ParkNSons
Peep: G5
Arrows: Easton Axis Black 340's
Fletchings: 2" Blazers with a right helical
Insert: Easton 50 grain brass HIT's
Broadheads: Slick Trick Standards 125's
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby Indian Summer » 01 08, 2013 •  [Post 35]

foxvalley wrote:

Laugh all you want but I'm pretty solid on that statement. I'm still waiting for Mathews or Hoyt to give me a good reason to give up my Switchback. I'll admit they have tempted me lately.

I think I will "upgrade" one more time eventually but the next one is for life.... I swear! L0L

I will say I see no reason to keep shortening axle to axle lengths. Everyone talks about smooth draws, forgiveness, tuning etc when we walked away from the solutions years ago. I'd like to see a Helium, Z7 or Carbon Element with a 36 inch axle to axle.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby MTLongdraw » 01 09, 2013 •  [Post 36]

I got my dream bow last year. One of the first things I've ever bought where I just saved until I had the money and made no compromises.

PSE Freak 70#
Montana Black Gold sight 5 pin.
Easton FMJ arrows with 100 grain slick tricks 508 grains total (no cutting needed).
Have a stabalizer and fixed quiver on it too which I love.

For now its the dream set up. I haven't found anything else I like better to put on it. Going to be a long time before I get rid of this bow. Not becasue I think something better will come out, but because I only know of about two other bows that come in a 33 inch draw :D
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby BowKill » 01 23, 2013 •  [Post 37]

Mine hasn't been made yet, how about a Hoyt Carbon Matrix shooting 340+ ibo.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby elkmtngear » 01 28, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Been hearing good things about Elite, I will be checking out some Elite Bows at the NABA Show next week. I'm looking at the Pure, because of the 36" ATA (I shoot fingers)

So at this point it would be:

Elite Pure @65# (If the draw cycle is as smooth as they say, maybe 70#)
Whisker Biscuit
No Sights

I'll have my Wife with me, so this may very well go down at the Show! ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Black Wolf » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Here's mine ;)

Ray
Attachments
DAS Master.jpg
DAS Master.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 18753 times
Black Wolf

First Name: Ray
Last Name: Cook

Postby elkmtngear » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 40]

Black Wolf wrote:Here's mine ;)

Ray

That is a work of art!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Black Wolf » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 41]

elkmtngear wrote:That is a work of art!

Thanks!

Ray
Black Wolf

Postby ElkNut1 » 01 30, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Ray, that's a very unique looking riser? Is the space in it to reduce bow weight?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Black Wolf » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 43]

ElkNut1 wrote:Ray, that's a very unique looking riser? Is the space in it to reduce bow weight?

Yes..it's to reduce weight.

It's a DAS Master prototype. David Sosa sent me this bow to try out and share my opinion about it and I fell in love with it.

Coming from a Black Widow background...metal risers didn't attract me much until I shot this one. I couldn't believe the difference.

Ray
Black Wolf

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 02, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Are you referring to less hand-shock than the Widows?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Black Wolf » 02 03, 2013 •  [Post 45]

ElkNut1 wrote:Are you referring to less hand-shock than the Widows?

Primarily....yes...but it also was the speed. The bow came with Olympic grade limbs...Samick Masters.

I still LOOOOVE Widows but the difference in hand-shock and the speed was noticable...not huge...but still noticable.

Ray
Black Wolf

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 46]

Very nice. Smoothness, speed & quiet in the hand is a very nice thing when a 3 are in the same bow, you should do well with it!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 47]

My dream bow is still a long ways off . It has to do with my dream hunt. Eventually, after learning all the skills to complete the task I want to kill a mature bull elk with a bow that I made myself, self-made arrows with fletches made from a turkey that I shot, using stone tips that I knapped myself from material that I have collected. I want to call the bull in myself and kill it at close range. If I can do all that, I'll be a happy man !
Huntrgathr

Postby Black Wolf » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 48]

Huntrgathr wrote:My dream bow is still a long ways off . It has to do with my dream hunt. Eventually, after learning all the skills to complete the task I want to kill a mature bull elk with a bow that I made myself, self-made arrows with fletches made from a turkey that I shot, using stone tips that I knapped myself from material that I have collected. I want to call the bull in myself and kill it at close range. If I can do all that, I'll be a happy man !

I have a friend who did just that. He finally drew a trophy unit a few years ago and shot a 5x5 bull after calling in a nice 6x6 for his brother. His bull only went 100yrds. after being shot with an obsidian tipped self arrow out of a 50lbs. selfbow.

After I shoot a +320 class bull....that will be my next goal.

Ray :shade:
Black Wolf

Postby buglmin » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 49]

Dave Sosa's bows were very unique, and Dave is credited for starting the whole metal riser/ILF crazy. He sent me two of the original Dalaa's, with W&W limbs...the bows flat out smoke an arrow. When Dave was having limb problems, having to replace some Sammick limbs, because he couldnt get them, and I was a dealer and could, we traded bows for limbs. I sold a bunch of Dalaa's in 2005. He was a great, great man.
I remember seeing that dressed up DAS on another site several years ago.
buglmin

Postby Black Wolf » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 50]

buglmin wrote:Dave Sosa's bows were very unique, and Dave is credited for starting the whole metal riser/ILF crazy...the bows flat out smoke an arrow. He was a great, great man.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!

I wished things turned out a little different for him.

Ray
Black Wolf

Postby buglmin » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 51]

What happened was total BS!! Dave deserved better, didnt need all the BS that happened. I still have hard feelings for a lot of guys and a company, and wont touch or sell one of there bows. They couldnt give me one of their bows!!
I had some work done to one of my Dalaa's, but two others are still brand new in the boxes that they came in.
buglmin

Postby Black Wolf » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 52]

buglmin wrote:What happened was total BS!! Dave deserved better, didnt need all the BS that happened.

I agree!!!

If you see or talk to Dave...tell him I said 'Hi'.

Ray
Black Wolf

Postby buglmin » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 53]

I havent talked to Dave in a few years... since 09. He sent me a few things, limbs, his srf sights, strings, and a few quivers. I dont know if he is even shooting bows anymore. Know he was pretty upset bout yhe way things turned out and the trouble a certain company caused him. It was all about greed and money and trying to ruin a person. To bad, cause the bows he made where the best with the Das limb system. And he knew limbs and how to get the best performance from your bow/limb combination. My Dalaa is still set the way he set it for me, and man does that thing smoke an arrow. He gave me a set of the W&W Winex limbs, with the Das camo on them. The best limb on the market today. I got involved with Hoyt for a few years, and the rep let me shoot a bunch of the top end Hoyt limbs. Ive still got some of their carbon/foam limds, but speed and smoothness, its the Winex limbs, hands down.
buglmin

Postby Freebird134 » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 54]

I have no idea what my dream bow is. It definitely isn't one of the new compounds. I'm getting jaded by all the "fastest" "newest" "farthest" marketing stuff with compounds. But, since I can barely hit a pie plate at 8 yards with a longbow I'm still using compounds!

Like someone else said, my dream bow too would be selfmade....but that is a really, really long way out for me!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon