Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Broadheads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Broadheads

Postby saddlesore » 12 17, 2019 •  [Post 1]

OK,got the crossbow and now need some tutoring on broadhead selection. I suppose the same is used as conventional bows. Reading some reviews ,the kind that open up (mechanical) do not get favorable results. Thinking a fixed blade one . What are some things I should look for and any recommendations on brands?

100 or 125gr?

The other thing is a target. Suggestions?

I ended up buying a Ten Point Invader, X4 from Scheels. Got a heck of a deal plus 6 Ten P0int Carbon Express bolts with lighted knocks in the deal. Somebody had bought it and returned it in less than a week so they knocked $100 off because they didn't have the package or box it came in. I am suppose to get another one from my brother who lives in PA,but I'm not sure he will come thru as his heath is failing.I didn't want to pass up this deal

Will probably buy another 1/2 dozen cheaper bolts for practice and sighting in

Thinking of putting a Red Dot on it. It came with a 4X scope,which are not permitted in CO
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Broadheads

Postby Tigger » 12 17, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Vince,
My brother set up my dad and knows a ton about archery technical details. I would be happy to get you two together via email or something if you would like. PM me your email if interested.

From what I know/remember...don't go light. are lighted knocks legal in CO? I don't think they are in MT. Fixed blade is the way to go. I use Slick Tricks and they work fine (regular bow). I believe my brother set my dad up with something similar and he had great luck on whitetails with them. You will need some clay bolts to unload your crossbow at the end of the day. getting the right target is crucial or you wont get the bolts back out.

Spend some time figuring out how you are gonna carry the thing. They are clumsy. My dad went elk hunting with us in 2018 and it was awkward in general and especially in the timber.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 12 17, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Tigger wrote:Vince,
My brother set up my dad and knows a ton about archery technical details. I would be happy to get you two together via email or something if you would like. PM me your email if interested.

From what I know/remember...don't go light. are lighted knocks legal in CO? I don't think they are in MT. Fixed blade is the way to go. I use Slick Tricks and they work fine (regular bow). I believe my brother set my dad up with something similar and he had great luck on whitetails with them. You will need some clay bolts to unload your crossbow at the end of the day. getting the right target is crucial or you wont get the bolts back out.

Spend some time figuring out how you are gonna carry the thing. They are clumsy. My dad went elk hunting with us in 2018 and it was awkward in general and especially in the timber.

Thanks Tigger.I looked at several and this one is only 15" pulley to pulley when cocked and weighs 6.3 pounds.Yes, I need to figure out how to pack it a mule. Don't want to pack it cocked.
Lighted knocks are legal in Colorado..

PM coming with my email address.Would appreciate your brothers input.
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 17, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Vince, I have a new respect for mechanical BHs after reading this by Slim9300, AKA Conlan. He lives up my way, is an elk killing machine, and he too had his doubts about the mechs for years. Worth a read.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10257

Lastly, if you decide on getting a fixed blade BH, I would recommend you consider a true cut on contact head. Yes, Slick Tricks, Shuttle T’s, Muzzy, etc all will kill (I’ve done it), but, a true COC head will penetrate quicker, are tougher, and IMO will put an elk down quicker. I shot my bull this year with the Magnus 100 GN Stinger out of my 60 LB Darton (frontal shot) and messed that bull’s day up.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/stinger ... 16-3-pack/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I have a Barnett Ghost 350. I shoot 125 grain Slick Tricks. They fly great and that’s a deadly combination!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Beg, borrow, or steal all the broadheads you can get your hands on. See what works best for your rig. Some guys will loan you a head or two to try out. Personally I like 125 gr Stingers but that is just me.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 18, 2019 •  [Post 7]

If your broadhead is legal, sharp and flies well it will kill elk. I like Slick Trick SS 100s. They are a chisel point BH.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby six » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 8]

So I'm not a user or fan of mechanical broadheads. However after last weekend I can see where they have there place.

A friend at work received a crossbow for Christmas. He borrowed a couple Rage broadheads from his dad and we went to the shooting shack. 30
Resized_20191207_080118_resize_59_4040.jpeg
Resized_20191207_080118_resize_59_4040.jpeg (216.78 KiB) Viewed 2875 times
minutes later we had several whitetail headed for the corn field.

The shot was 35 yards. The x gun was loud and the impact of the bolt/broad head was loud. The doe never knew what hit her. She ran 70 yards and stopped for 2 seconds before tipping over. The shot was a pass through going through the meaty part of the shoulder. The bolt was stuck in the snow at the point of the shot.

I have never followed such a blood trail in all my hunting career.
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 22, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I have a couple thoughts, that don't actually pertain to the broadhead selection exactly, but are important.

1. Regardless of bow: recurve, compound, or crossbow, it needs to be tuned to some extent. Cheaper practice bolts are a bit of a fallacy to me. They won't have the same dynamic spine (i.e. archers paradox) as your hunting arrows, and the point of impact will most likely be different.

2. Since I have no clue how to tune a crossbow for optimal arrow flight, (a bolt/arrow requiring fewer oscillations to correct from paradox), seek help from a good pro shop.

3. Good for you, for trying a new weapon! I wish you the best of luck!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C