Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sawing em up here boss....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sawing em up here boss....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Saw this topic on another forum, thought it would be a good one here.
What do you carry in your pack for a bone saw? Old school T-handle, lightweight folder, hatchet, Wyoming Saw, something else? Whaddya carry and how well does it work for you?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Sawing em up here boss....

Postby saddlesore » 12 19, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I have a Browning fold up saw in my pack, but I carry a carpenters miter box saw in the panniers.It is lot more efficient than the folder, but the folder works when nothing more is handy.

I was doing a 15 mile loop one day and had about 4 miles to go when I came across a tree about 6" in diameter that I couldn't go around and couldn't move.I sure didn't want to ride back 11 miles. The fold up Browning took me awhile to get thru the tree,but it did work . I have other bigger folders, a Tee handled one and a 12 " bow saw, but they stay down in the shop cabinet mostly now
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Saddlesore you need a Fiskars saw with a scabbard. I never ride without it. It’ll zip through 12 inch plus trees pretty easily.

For a daypack saw I have a Gerber that slides out of the handle. It’s getting pretty dull so I’m about to decide if I’m going to buy a new one... which would be a folder instead of slide, or just go back to carrying my Wyoming saw. It’s pretty hard to beat a Wyoming with both a hacksaw blade for bone and a wood blade for making campfires during the day.
Attachments
A536C93E-8DB8-478A-9E15-C7909CCDFCAD.jpeg
A536C93E-8DB8-478A-9E15-C7909CCDFCAD.jpeg (97.08 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Typically I make my brother gnaw through it with his teeth. But that takes a while.

I have a Gerber of some sort!
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I have a folding Fiskars in the ATV but it is used in trees

I did use a Milwaukee cordless saws all with a demo blade on two of our moose

We generally work the big bone joints with a knife in the field, hanging, at camp or at home

My mom didn’t like bone meal in the meat
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Indian Summer wrote:Saddlesore you need a Fiskars saw with a scabbard. I never ride without it. It’ll zip through 12 inch plus trees pretty easily.

For a daypack saw I have a Gerber that slides out of the handle. It’s getting pretty dull so I’m about to decide if I’m going to buy a new one... which would be a folder instead of slide, or just go back to carrying my Wyoming saw. It’s pretty hard to beat a Wyoming with both a hacksaw blade for bone and a wood blade for making campfires during the day.

When I am packing, I have a 24" bow saw on the pack mule. I am never out riding unless that pack mule is with me. Most of the time, I ride the trails I will use a day or so before the season opens and clear any trails that need it then. The miter box saw is perfect for cutting bone with it's fine teeth. It is a leftover from the days I when I sawed thru the spine length wise when quartering and cutting the skullcap to take the antlers off. They run less than $20 at Home Depot or Lowes, so I chuck them when they get dull. Usually good for 5 or so elk. Those Fiskars are good saws though. I have looked at them, but I am a cheap old fart.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 7]

I don't carry a saw of any kind for animal processing anymore. Everything is done with a knife. The only thing I would consider it for is skull capping a bull or buck that I don't want to keep the skull. My uncle had a SOG this year that was a knife/saw combo. It worked on 2 elk skulls. I may consider adding something lightweight just for that purpose.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 12 20, 2019 •  [Post 8]

I have a Gerber folding saw in my day pack and a Wyoming saw in the pack I use as a freighter.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 9]

I used to pack a Wyoming saw. But after a week of hard hunting I was looking for just about any way I could to shed some weight in my pack. So I tossed the Wyoming Saw in the junk drawer and got a Baco. Silky is another good option. They are both lite weight and I never use a saw to break down an elk anyhow. The folding Gerbers were junk. Wyoming saws are good but just to darn heavy and cumbersome When I was guiding we used a saw to cut the rib cage open and gut them out. We always had plenty of help and wenched them up on to the pickup and hauled them straight in to the processor. But for myself, I do the gutless method. No saw needed!
>>>---WW---->

Postby jmez » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 10]

No saw. I do everything gutless.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 11]

jmez wrote:No saw. I do everything gutless.

Jason, ya me too but do you take the head out (bull obviously) each time? No skull capping with a saw?
WapitiTalk1

Postby jmez » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 12]

No. If I wasn't going to euro mount one I'd just leave the antlers lay.

jmez

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 21, 2019 •  [Post 13]

jmez wrote:No. If I wasn't going to euro mount one I'd just leave the antlers lay.

Gotcha, thanks.
WapitiTalk1

Postby saddlesore » 12 22, 2019 •  [Post 14]

jmez wrote:No. If I wasn't going to euro mount one I'd just leave the antlers lay.

Can't do that in Colorado, because of the 4Pt or better rule you have to bring the antlers out.
saddlesore

Postby Indian Summer » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 15]

I have never sawed a skull plate off. All euros. I use a saw for one purpose. Sawing the legs off below the knees. That and cutting firewood if it’s cold enough for a mid day warm up.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 16]

Indian Summer wrote:I have never sawed a skull plate off. All euros. I use a saw for one purpose. Sawing the legs off below the knees. That and cutting firewood if it’s cold enough for a mid day warm up.

If one knows exactly where the joints are,removing legs with a knife is fairly easy.
saddlesore

Postby jmez » 12 23, 2019 •  [Post 17]

saddlesore wrote:
Indian Summer wrote:I have never sawed a skull plate off. All euros. I use a saw for one purpose. Sawing the legs off below the knees. That and cutting firewood if it’s cold enough for a mid day warm up.

If one knows exactly where the joints are,removing legs with a knife is fairly easy.
Way easier than sawing to them on an elk!

jmez