Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Elk Hunting Boots Inbound....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Elk Hunting Boots Inbound....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 31, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Got a new pair of elkin’ boots on the way, the Crispi Guides. I’ll let you cats know how they pan out. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Elk Hunting Boots Inbound....

Postby 7mmfan » 01 01, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I've heard so much a out Crispis the last couple years. I'll be curious to get your seasoned professional input on them.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 01, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Boots are one main thing I do not buy based on someone's recommendation. I may avoid them based on their testimony, but not purchase them. I ordered a pair of Danner boot this Fall. They did not fit like the others I purchased from them that are the same size. I decided to take them back right away and get a different pair. The store manager said there is about 1/2 size difference between their domestic (USA) built boots and the foreign ones. Hummmm?
Anyway after about an hour in the factory store, in Portland, I left with a great looking pair of boots. The manager there was very helpful. I expect them to last as long as I plan to hunt. It is goofy I know, but I have two pairs of Danner boots that fit, and they are different sizes. A lot of other manufacturers make boots that never fit right. Usually they are all too wide for my small (size 6 1/2- 7) foot. Women's boots are all too narrow, in case someone was thinking of recommending them. I have tested that option.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 01 01, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Boots are a very personal gear choice for sure. I've chased recommendations in the past with terrible results. This year I branched out and found a set highly rated boots from from the hiking crowd, not the hunting crowd, and I've been pleased as punch with them.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 01 01, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Daughters boyfriend Andrew, and often my elk hunting partner. Bought a pair of the Idaho GTX ,.. For hunting,.. they are his daily footwear now
I saw last night he was missing a lace :?: ???? :?:
I had been a NewBalance /Cabelas kind of guy. Bought some Keens and Marmonts Soon as they are worn out Ill need to move to hightops

Swede wrote:Anyway after about an hour in the factory store, in Portland, I left with a great looking pair of boots. The manager there was very helpful.

When we lived in Washington I bought a pair of Danners.
Was it the Store or Outlet?, off of 205 east of the airport (Airport road ?). 2nds for about 30% I did wear those out after I moved to Utah,.. However those boots were truely were challenged on the Wasach Front after the Klickatat Canyons.

I have a pair of decent hunting boots when they wear out Ill upgrade And pair of 2000gram Lacrosse
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 01 02, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Schnees Beartooth for me. Love them to death. I have one pair that is 12 years old and still doing well after a lot of hard use.

I have not had great luck with Danners. No horrible luck either, just so-so luck. they wear out after a few years. I think I have went through about 5 pairs. Pronghorns were the worst. Then I found Schnees and the rest is history!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 01 02, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Danners run narrow so not for me.

I want to try a pair of Crispis but no matter what I do I can’t get my Kenetreks to wear out!

I expect a good solid review. Initial and after some abuse.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 01 03, 2020 •  [Post 8]

There are some good points on boots brought out on this thread. I.S. cannot wear Danner's because they are too narrow. That is what I need. I can't get a good fit on many other boots as they are too wide. Lefty, I did go to the Danner store just east of I 205 on Airport Way. What you said about getting a pair of factory seconds reminds me that the manager brought out a pair of boots that he discovers had a small defect on the uppers. He put them back in the box and got me a different pair. He said they defective ones would go to Good Will. I should have offered him $100 for them as they were very suitable for my purposes.
The pair of Danner boots I just replaced were purchased in July of 2003. I think part of boot longevity is a good fit. I can't get a good fit at Cabelas or other mail order places. I can get by and make them work with more socks or the like.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 03, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Changed my mind. On to LOWA Tibet GTX HI’s now. They give MIL and LEOs a better discount. :twisted:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2020 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Changed my mind. On to LOWA Tibet GTX HI’s now. They give MIL and LEIs a better discount. :twisted:

I learned a long time ago the right fit is most important

My youngest brother wore EE
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lamrith » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Yeah boots can be a real pain in multiple ways. They have to be Comfortable and I have odd shaped feet which makes fit tough. Only ones I have found comfortable so far are Danner Pronghorns. However I have found it impossible to keep my feet dry in them, so lunchtime always includes boots off airtime.

I am sure those Lowa's will make your dainty little hooves happy RJ!
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby Swede » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Larry, Danner's waterproof boots aren't. Place your feet in plastic sacks before you put on your boots if you want any chance at dry feet. The only other way I have of keeping my feet dry when wearing my Danner's is to not go out in the rain and stay far away from any body of water.
Swede