Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Technology

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Technology

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Compound bows, crossbows, e-bikes, ATVs, rangefinders, lighted nocks, lazar scopes ...... The list could go on and on. Where, if any place do you think technology has gone too far?

For me it is all ok as long as the equipment does not take away from the sense of the hunt, or infringe on other hunters. By infringing on others I do not include much if any credence to complaints that it will allow more people out to enjoy hunting.
I do not like all of the electronic gadgetry available including I-phone apps. It may seem hypocritical, but I do like my GPS and rangefinder.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Hunting Technology

Postby 7mmfan » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Technology like improved optics, rangefinders, fast bows, and dialed scopes... I'm ok with when used in typical hunting scenarios because I think it makes a shooter more confident and accurate and results in more efficient and quick kills, which should always be the goal.

The apps and dope charts, dialed scopes ( I know, i just said i'm ok with them in typical hunting scenarios, but they are often abused) etc... I do not agree with because they give guys the confidence to shoot at distances that are outside both their, and the firearms capable range. Take the new SIG Sauer bluetooth scope system. The scope and rangefinder are linked via bluetooth, and when you range your target, it automatically adjusts the scopes elevation. Unfortunately, this will give guys the confidence to take shots that are WAY outside their practiced range. So even if the weapon and scope are dialed, the shooter still can't perform. In the rare instance the shooter has practiced and become proficient at those ranges, often they're shooting new rounds like 6.5 Creedmore or other short action rounds that just don't have the umph for a 600 or 700 yard shot on mature animals. This results in wounded and lost game, or at the very least, game that experienced prolonged suffering before death. The long range shooting and "hunting" trend is nothing but negative as far as I'm concerned.

Items like e-bikes are frustrating for me. They for sure aren't any worse on the trail than horses or dirt bikes, but they give guys the ability to travel great distances on trails and closed roads that they never used to. There were those of us that used that distance and topography to get away from people, and that no longer exists. Motorized or assisted travel is going to put a lot more people and pressure into areas that were closed off in the first place to allow game escape and sanctuary zones. While it opens up access to many who couldn't or wouldn't before, I see this as a negative as well and hope this ruling is changed at some point.

As game gets harder to find, and more scarce, technology will improve to make us more successful. It's been happening for eons. It is making the animals world so much smaller. I just hope that the last elk killed isn't shot with 338 ultra mag at 1200 yards via bluetooth enabled scope, and ground accessed by e-bike after spotting with a 100 power spotting scope from 10 miles away.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 3]

It seems there is some animosity towards the e-bikes now. Is it because they are relatively new to hunting? I considered getting an ATV to get around on old brushed in logging roads, and to help pack in and out. In the end I decided to get an e-bike. I went with the e-bike because of a number of reasons, but ultimately they seem to be more compatible with my minimalist ideas on hunting. I know "minimalist" is a relative term.
Will someone on an e-bike pass you in the morning as you hike into your favorite hunting area. Probably, but would it be better if they were on an ATV? I am not scoffing at your concern about the e-bike. Your concerns are legitimate and need to be taken into consideration. I think ultimately I can be a considerate old hunter and use my bike responsibly. I have no plans to ever bike hunt. The bike will get me to my camp and back. It will pack gear and any big game animal I kill. It could be used in an emergency, but I hope that never happens.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I don't view them as any different than an ATV or dirtbike in that they are a motorized vehicle. People will argue that they aren't considered "motorized" if under 750 watts or something, but they have a motor, and they assist your travel.

In areas open to motorized use, I have zero problem with them, they are just another motorized vehicle. Lots of trails are open to all of the above and if you choose to hunt there on foot, you accept that it's going to happen.

It's the places that are not open to motorized use, yet e-bikes seem to be ok there. Places that I've hiked or rode my mountain bike for years to put distance between me and the masses are now suddenly being filled with guys on e-bikes who were to lazy, or physically unable to get there before. Many of these zones are places that were specifically closed to all motorized use to make sure animals had escape zones and the number of people that accessed them was small. One of these places is my favorite trail system in Idaho. You could easily get 7 or 8 miles back and the only guys you would see would be horseback riders. This year there were half a dozen yokels back there on e-bikes killing animals. Next year there will be more. One guy used to hunt on a mountain bike back there and we discussed how nice it was to have places like that to get away. This year on his e-bike he told me he could gain the distance and elevation to his favorite spot in 30 minutes, it used to take him almost 2 hours.

I guess I just think there needs to be places that a guy using traditional methods to get there can still count on doing so without competition from technology. You reach a point where you either hate em or join em, and thats just to damn expensive for me to join.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Hunting technology is clearly getting out of hand.
Attachments
vmatxsls06_1125569195362-1-2020010395160802-600x782.jpg
vmatxsls06_1125569195362-1-2020010395160802-600x782.jpg (171.1 KiB) Viewed 2909 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 6]

wawhitey wrote:Hunting technology is clearly getting out of hand.

:lol:
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 7]

We need to realize the seasons may need to be adjusted. I agree with Idaho a cross bow is not archery equipment. But I swede no harm in using lighted nocks.
I like my range finder, my 12 year old bow, fiber arrows, head lamp tech clothing

I will say one very great improvement is mapping systems such as onX hunts and the online maps most states have out.
me personally I use to do the research where I hunted and trapped. I was in a lot of those places where other were unaware of the land open to the public or blocked by adjoining landowners for selfish reasons . And even more so those people who were keeping others from public lands
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:We need to realize the seasons may need to be adjusted. I agree with Idaho a cross bow is not archery equipment. But I swede no harm in using lighted nocks.
I like my range finder, my 12 year old bow, fiber arrows, head lamp tech clothing

I will say one very great improvement is mapping systems such as onX hunts and the online maps most states have out.
me personally I use to do the research where I hunted and trapped. I was in a lot of those places where other were unaware of the land open to the public or blocked by adjoining landowners for selfish reasons . And even more so those people who were keeping others from public lands

I agree with the mapping systems statement. That only really benefits hunters for the sake of legal access. I'm sure that it had made a big difference in land owner conflicts. I know its saved my bacon a few times.

Doesn't pose a big threat to game animals in general. If they've been safe because people weren't aware of access potetrial, that's purely coincidental. OnX has opened up lots of access for me and allows to me to plan hunts and routes I thought were otherwise impossible. Been a great resource.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 01 09, 2020 •  [Post 9]

A while back I was looking at some historical data on archery hunter success in Oregon. With all of the modern technology and the calling proliferation, hunter success has stayed pretty much the same. In the Cascades where the Forest Service stopped timber harvest about 25 years ago the success has dropped from about 10% to 3%-4%. Technology has been of no real help. In general I do not think access is a big deal unless you have a special spot you have really scouted out. Just getting away from others is not the panacea some think it is.
I found a spot a couple of years ago within 700 feet of a main road. My son and I have both taken elk there. Siting in my tree stand I hear vehicles and people walking by. Still, there are bears and elk coming to my stand location.
I think regulations that maintain "fair Chase" are important. Rules that give me some advantage over others are generally inappropriate. I do appreciate getting one extra point for hunting deer as a senior citizen, and I get a discount on my hunting license and elk tag as a "pioneer". I never petitioned anyone for those advantages, and they are available to anyone that lives to be old enough and stays in the State.
Swede