Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ATV Or E-Bike?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ATV Or E-Bike?

Postby Swede » 01 20, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I was considering an ATV for quite a while, but settled on an e-bike instead. It was not a no brainer for me as both have their advantages.
It is easier to refill an ATV than recharge an e-bike, but the e-bike is less expensive to fuel up.
The ATV can be easily loaded with up to half an elk. With the e-bike you need a trailer. You can use panniers, but it will take more trips with an e-bike.
A new e-bike Is less expensive than a new ATV, but there are a lot of good used ATVs on the market that may be as cheap, or cheaper than a good e-bike.
I would rather have an e-bike on a narrow trail, because I can walk mine, but an ATV would be better on soft ground or some rough areas.
I can lift or pack an e-bike over some downed logs or boulders. I could not do that with an ATV.
The e-bike is quieter.
Running the engine on an ATV is easier than peddling an e-bike. You can go without peddling, but you won't go as far on a full charge.
I like the e-bike on old logging roads in my hunting area. It seems a great fit.

I am still pleased with the Bakcou Mule, and would choose to go that way still, but was wondering what you think would fit your area and hunting style better?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: ATV Or E-Bike?

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I have an ATV and a DRZ 400 that is set up for 90 percent off road. I have never ridden and e-bike but I would like to try one. I enjoy mountain biking and was looking at the Scott e-bikes last year but I can't justify the cost given that I already have a couple nice mountain bikes. I would imagine the e-bike still takes a good bit of pedaling effort. Do you get all sweaty riding it to your hunting spot? Is it fast enough to make it that much better than walking?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Lefty » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I’ve ridden ATVs since the early 70’s
In a sense it depends on need and location
We generally have some serious elevation that we access through > 50 inch trails I don’t think an e bike charge would last a days hunting

The advantage is currently ebikes can go in closed to motorized areas and some day the FS. Will catch on and evokes will be considered motorized

They could be nice hunting the desert areas I use to Hunt stealthier than a gas engine
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I can get up to about 80 miles in mode 1 with a full charge on my e-bike. The bike is a 750 W unit with six different modes plus "Walk". It also has a thumb throttle that lets you just ride. Mode 1 is an assist that takes off some of the work while you are peddling. That is where I do most of my riding miles. I have never gone above mode 2, but the higher you go the more battery you use, and the more assist you get. As far as building up a sweat, it just depends on how much effort you want to put in. I could go to my tree stand and hardly get any exercise, or I could work quite hard.
The e-bike goes 20 MPH with battery assist. Of coarse I can go faster downhill by peddling. Lefty the e-bikes can be classified now as "motorized vehicles based on their classification. If you don't want to be classified as a motorized vehicle get a 750 watt bike. The 1,000W units are considered motorized.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

No brainer here. I'd have to vote for an ATV. Why?? Well, I suppose because that is what I own. ;) I would find it awfully hard to pack all my fencing gear to repair the damages done by elk last winter on an E-bike. An ATV is a multi purpose machine. Good for work as well as recreation. I do think that an E-bike would be a lot of fun though. :roll:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

WW, I agree an ATV is often a better work machine, and I had a front blade for mine when I lived in snow country. I have not found a snow plow yet for my e-bike.
With panniers or a trailer we could do a lot of fence repair using an e-bike.
Swede

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 7]

John, have you looked at possible rigging up a lightweight cart to pull behind your new E-bike? I would think that would be handy attachment for many reasons.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 8]

My son bought a $30 kid hauler bike trailer off Craig's list. It is a great looking piece the way it is, but he is contemplating removing the canvas to lighten it up a few pounds.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 9]

When I was looking at the Scott bikes, I remember that the batteries were not able to be removed. I don’t know if this has changed or is true with other brands. It would be a nice feature if you could swap batteries and keep a backup in case you need it. With the lithium ion batteries, the weight of a spare probably wouldn’t be too bad.

One of these days I may buy an e-bike. After hunting and fishing, mountain biking may be my favorite hobby. I get exhausted after a couple hours of riding (depending on terrain). An e-bike would let me ride about twice as long on a given day. If I could use it to hunt, even better.
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 21, 2020 •  [Post 10]

You can definitely climb the mountains easier and go farther. The battery on my e-bike is removable and can be charged on or off the bike. I really like my Mule as it is designed and fitted for hunting.
Swede

Postby VT Sasquatch » 01 22, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Are spare batteries available if you wanted one?
VT Sasquatch

Postby Swede » 01 22, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Yes they are, but they are expensive. ($500+) There are some independent battery makers too that offer them at a discount, but they are still expensive, but not quite as much. I do not know how well they fit. I would go through E-bike Generation and see what kind of a deal John would offer. I know he is limited in how much discount he can offer, but I found him to be fair and honest. He is helpful if you have questions. I researched e-bikes and ATV for a couple months before I pulled the trigger on the Bakcou Mule.
Swede

Postby RAMMONT » 01 24, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:I was considering an ATV for quite a while, but settled on an e-bike instead. It was not a no brainer for me as both have their advantages.
It is easier to refill an ATV than recharge an e-bike, but the e-bike is less expensive to fuel up.
The ATV can be easily loaded with up to half an elk. With the e-bike you need a trailer. You can use panniers, but it will take more trips with an e-bike.
A new e-bike Is less expensive than a new ATV, but there are a lot of good used ATVs on the market that may be as cheap, or cheaper than a good e-bike.
I would rather have an e-bike on a narrow trail, because I can walk mine, but an ATV would be better on soft ground or some rough areas.
I can lift or pack an e-bike over some downed logs or boulders. I could not do that with an ATV.
The e-bike is quieter.
Running the engine on an ATV is easier than peddling an e-bike. You can go without peddling, but you won't go as far on a full charge.
I like the e-bike on old logging roads in my hunting area. It seems a great fit.

I am still pleased with the Bakcou Mule, and would choose to go that way still, but was wondering what you think would fit your area and hunting style better?

Almost none of your reasons for using an E-Bike would work for me.

I live in Montana - they still treat most E-Bikes like any other motorized vehicle so there isn't any real advantage as far as being able to go places where an ATV couldn't go.
I pull a lightweight trailer behind my 4-wheeler and I can easily get an entire elk in it. I also carry a game cart, chainsaw, and my pack in the trailer.
My 4-wheeler is under 50 inches wide so I can take it anywhere you are legally allowed to drive a motorized vehicle.
You can't drive any motorized vehicle off of authorized roads so I don't have to worry about logs or boulders. If a tree has fallen across the road then I break out the chainsaw.
While my 4-wheeler is not as quiet as an E-Bike, it's quieter than most motorized machines.
My 4-wheeler has far more climbing power than any E-Bike so I can climb steep, snow covered terrain that I'd never be able to cover with an E-Bike.
I drive old logging roads all the time.
RAMMONT

Postby Swede » 01 24, 2020 •  [Post 14]

It is not my purpose to sell anyone on an e-bike, but to show there is a viable option to other modes of ingress into many areas. As far as closures go, you need to know your regulations. E-bikes may or may not be recognized as "motorized vehicles" depending on the class of bike. They are still prohibited in wildernesses and some other closed areas. They are not considered spark emitting machines, so fire restrictions do not apply..
You cannot legally chainsaw your way through an area in closed fire season. Even when the industrial fire precaution is low enough to allow chainsaw use, which it is not in much of my archery season, you need to stay and patrol your cutting area for one hour after shutting off your saw. Has anyone ever noticed how much you stink after running a chain saw?
As far as going on steeper ground with an ATV, I don't know. I never took my ATV where it was pushing the limits. With the e-bike I too will get off and walk it when it appears dangerous.
Swede

Postby ishy » 01 25, 2020 •  [Post 15]

Ebike all the way for me. Just haven't saved enough $ yet. Sound and smell are my deciding factors. North Idaho is covered with old logging roads that alders take over so you can't get an atv through, but a bike would squeeze through most with minimal effort. Haven't tried it yet, but have heard the 4" tires travel well on snowmobile trails that would open a whole new world of wolf calling areas for me in the winter.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L