Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting Pack Contents & Weight

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting Pack Contents & Weight

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 1]

For the benefit of perhaps some newer elk hunters, or, really for anybody who hunts elk and wants to compare (or discuss), let’s talk about and share what goes in our hunting packs and what the approximate weight is when loaded. For this thread, I’m talking about a pack that’s prepped for a day hunt into the elk woods, not a backcountry, multi-day trip.
Remember to add any items that are “attached” to your pack, in gear pouches also (GPS, RF, pistol or cell phone if carried, etc.).
You can list name brands if you wish but not required. Also, you can add a brief comment(s) on why you carry certain items that aren’t self-explanatory (i.e., 2 contractor grade black plastic sacks – lay on ground to keep boned out elk meat clean, line pack to keep it from getting bloody, creek crossings, whatever.).

I’ll start this train a rolling. This is what I carry for a day of archery elk hunting; the configuration changes a bit when I hunt with a different weapon.

Exo K3 4800 (for those of you who don’t know, this is an all in one pack that compresses down to nothing for use as a day pack and expands out so you can carry a full camp in/out or too much elk meat when needed).

Platypus 3 Liter bladder (normally filled to the top); I drink a lot of water.

Day snack pack (all in a quart zip lock).

First Aid/Survival packet (Lge/Sm bandages; quick clot; white tape; ace bandage; antiseptic wipes; small suture kit; duct tape; Ibuprofen; fishing line/hooks/flies; pitch sticks; bic lighter; chemlights X 2; Adventure Medical S.O.L emergency blanket).

Kill kit (VIAM Outdoors synthetic game bags X 6, 100’ paracord, rubber gloves X 2, one fixed blade and one replaceable blade knife, SOG folding saw, two commercial grade black plastic sacks, little sharpener that works both on knives and broad heads, and chili powder).

Tracking kit (small peroxide spray bottle, flagging ribbon, trail tacks).

Two headlamps (one Zebra flood, one other).

GPS.

Xtra batteries for headlamps and GPS.

RFinder.

License/Tags for state hunted.

Compass/7.5 minute map for area hunted.

Extra calls (Berry Game Calls).

TP/baby wipes.

Camera/mini-camera holder (Canon Elph/Clip Shot).

Weather dependent, I’ll usually have at a minimum a layering/wind blocking jacket in my pack or even top/bottom raingear.
Loaded up and ready to go, my pack weighs in right around 17 lbs (with a full water bladder and days’ worth of chow). No wonder I’m so beat down after a day in the elk woods ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Hunting Pack Contents & Weight

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 2]

How come everyone forgets the TP? :shock:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Throw out about half of RJ stuff and you have what I carry. And I do not use baby wipes. That stuff is for babies and old men with hemorrhoids. I am neither of these.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 03, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:Throw out about half of RJ stuff and you have what I carry. And I do not use baby wipes. That stuff is for babies and old men with hemorrhoids. I am neither of these.

I’ve seen what you carry mister, you better not stray to far from the wagon and horses. Oh, and the baby wipes may very well be the difference between normal a$$ and baboon a$$ :lol:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 5]

OK, I have been busted and admit it.
I sure don't go light on the lunch, and have enough so I won't miss a meal it I have to stay late. :D
I really don't know if I have everything RJ has, but certainly most of it including two lights. I don't carry as much water as he does, but I have a water purifier/filter. It is much lighter and I can always find water somewhere. I usually go out to the truck and get my butchering equipment including freighter, so I don't have a lot except knives with me for processing elk. I am not hunting as far from a road as RJ does, and I am usually in a tree stand. I bet RJ does not take a book with him, and a Sudoku puzzle book, but I do. Different hunts for sure.
When RJ starts hunting from a stand he will also dress much warmer and have something along to pass the time and his pack priorities change some.
I would guess my day pack weighs between 15 and 20 pounds depending on how long I plan to stay in my stand and how cold it is.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 6]

RJ has a good list. You can ad to it or take away from it as you please. I do a couple of things a little different.

For hydration, I take a 1 quart canteen and a diet Pepsi. Also a Sawyer Mini filter for just in case. Haven't had to use it yet! I tried the bladder thing an didn't care for it.

Rain gear is also one heck of a good wind breaker on those cold breezy days. Unless the forecast looks bad, I sometimes leave it out and just depend on one of those little $1.98 plastic ponchos from WallyWorld. It is always in my pack and doubles as a ground sheet to place meat on.

I like a spare Bic lighter in a sealed food saver bag in my pack besides the one in my pocket.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2020 •  [Post 7]

pack, knife, tag, TP, First aid Emergency kit, firestarters bino; over 7lbs
Depending on the weather extra gloves, another layer or two , and overnight supplies maybe 3-6lbs
Food nutbars apple jerKy , sandwich Energy drink under 3lbs
Water varies from 2 -4 lbs, generally I put a liter and 1/2 in my 2 liter bladder
I also know the head of 4 different springs

I weighted my pack on my bow scale, 16 lb ready to go
When I hunted the desert some days 5 liters plus my Mt Dew or Rockstar 12 lbs of liquid Ive whittled things down

When backpacking tent and gear; minus food, water and fishing gear 22LBs

I carry a bigger bear spray backpacking and hunting but that isnt in my pac
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 03 05, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I don't know weight of individual items, but I know my average day hunt pack weight is between 18-20#. I carry 100 oz of water most days. I drink a lot of water. I also carry a small squeeze filter with me to make more. I rarely pack a spotter with me, just my binos, but they're on me, not in my pack. Everything in my pack has been used, usually at least once a season. I regularly change socks mid day because my feet sweat so bad. It's hard to find a better feeling than kicking your boots off midday after a death march up some canyon, and letting the dogs air out, and then putting on a fresh pair of socks. Man that can be a real game changer.

List:

Pack
- Exo Mtn Gear K2 5500

Kill Kit
- 6 lightweight synthetic game bags.
- Havalon Titan with 3 extra blades
- Work Sharp guided field sharpener
- 5'x5' painters plastic for ground cloth while cutting
- half roll of electrical tape
- Tags/license
- 6, 10' sections of paracord
- 1 20' section of paracord
- 1 contractor size black garbage bag

Rifle (8.5#)
- 10 shells

Food
- 100 oz water
- 1/2# elk jerky
- 3 RX Bars
- 2 Snickers Bars
- Landjager or summer sausage and extra sharp cheddar cheese
- small baggy of jolly ranchers

Saftey
- TP/baby wipes
- Compass
- Small first aid kit
- 2 Lighters
- Waterproof matches
- petroleum soaked cotton
- baggy with chunks of hard pine pitch
- baggy of toothpicks for small tinder
- 9x10 Sil Nylon tarp for emergency shelter
- extra pair of wool socks, fleece or wool gloves, and merino wool beanie in baggy.
- Katadyn squeeze water filter
- 2 head lamps
- one extra set of batteries

Clothing (dependent on conditions) Max pack full would include
- KUIU Yukon/Chugach rain gear
- Down Jacket in bag
- Down vest in bag
- Merino wool long johns in bag

MISC
- Phone
- small auxiliary battery bank (good for one full charge on phone)
- Chapstick (makeshift rifle shell decoy in tense situations)
- Leek carbon fiber collapsible trekking poles
- Clip Shot
- Wind Check
- Bore Snake
- NEW THIS YEAR - Taurus 22 revolver for incidental grouse and bunnies.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby VT Sasquatch » 03 06, 2020 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:How come everyone forgets the TP? :shock:

He included it unless it was edited. I have forgotten tp on many hikes and hunts. I have a lot of unmatched socks as a result. I have used leaves and snow plenty of times with mostly unsatisfactory results. Now that I have learned my lesson, I usually remember it on my better planned trips. I bring those flushable baby wipes now. I know that I an not going to get a shower so I use them to try to stay really clean - not just where the sun doesn't shine. I sometimes wear merino underwear but that makes me sweat and stink worse than cotton. I frequently wear cotton underwear now and just bring a spare or plant to wash my merino in a spring and go commando until it dries.

Anyway, great thread. I'll post mine when I have a bit more time.
VT Sasquatch

Postby 7mmfan » 03 06, 2020 •  [Post 10]

VT Sasquatch wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:How come everyone forgets the TP? :shock:

He included it unless it was edited. I have forgotten tp on many hikes and hunts. I have a lot of unmatched socks as a result. I have used leaves and snow plenty of times with mostly unsatisfactory results. Now that I have learned my lesson, I usually remember it on my better planned trips. I bring those flushable baby wipes now. I know that I an not going to get a shower so I use them to try to stay really clean - not just where the sun doesn't shine. I sometimes wear merino underwear but that makes me sweat and stink worse than cotton. I frequently wear cotton underwear now and just bring a spare or plant to wash my merino in a spring and go commando until it dries.

Anyway, great thread. I'll post mine when I have a bit more time.

I'm surprised you sweat more in merino underwear. That is all I wear and I feel I sweat less, and dry faster than wearing anything cotton down there. Last time I wore cotton boxers while hunting I could have literally rung the sweat out of them, and they were that wet all day.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 03 08, 2020 •  [Post 11]

I guarantee if you have ever eaten Colorado Russ' chille, you will never forget the TP ever again! :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby Indian Summer » 03 15, 2020 •  [Post 12]

4800, 5500.... this is a “daypack” thread. Aren’t those a little huge for daily use?

I’ll do my list tomorrow. My pack is a Badlands 2200. It’s not the lightest pack but the design, the layout and their impeccable customer service make it my pack of choice.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby 7mmfan » 03 16, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:4800, 5500.... this is a “daypack” thread. Aren’t those a little huge for daily use?

I’ll do my list tomorrow. My pack is a Badlands 2200. It’s not the lightest pack but the design, the layout and their impeccable customer service make it my pack of choice.

My Exo 5500 compresses down to virtually nothing, so for daily use it works fine. I have considered buying one of the smaller bags to go on that frame but haven't broken down yet.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 03 17, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Badlands 2200 on Camofire today at 39% off!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I prefer my pack at about 70# filled with elk. :D
Being stuck at home due to the pandemic has me thinking more and more about hunting.
Swede