Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Camp comfort and additions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Camp comfort and additions

Postby Lefty » 03 26, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Swedes elk camp thread got me thinking( yep that happens on occasion)

My first years elk hunting we hunted/camped near some people that became close friends, They brought in a Semi with a 53' flatbed full of camp, and unloaded with a forklift ,
They really moved in, they were the neighborhood !
15 hunters; and twice as many non hunters,over the 6 week season , Two wood-furnaces for heat and a big camp chef style grill and kitchen. Bunk beds for the kids and grand kids.
Generators for the freezer and batteries for light and microwave oven. Even a recliner for grandpas
Gun locker, ATV "garage"

I noticed Tigger had a US flag,.. And that may be an addition in our camp next year

What little niceties, oddities, necessities do you add to camp.

While in the desert and now in the mountains Ill use solar lights , basically for some light to get from my trailer to my daughters

This year Ill have a sit down toilet for my wife. A toilet seat over an inverted molasses/mineral bucket . Carpet outside the RV and motion lights on the RV

Some of the camp pics you can see Ill have two tents, extra chair,. extra boots/ shoes. I want it to appear if there is two of me :? More of a security thing where I use to camp
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Camp comfort and additions

Postby Tigger » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 2]

The US flag is a great idea, but that wasn't me. I might have to add that! We brought a turkey blind for over our crapper. Kept the snow off and the grizzlies out. Of course it may have been the Mexican take out on the drive to the mountains that kept the grizzlies out. :shock:

We bring a generator for a lot of things but one thing we started bringing was a microwave. Sounds ridiculous but it seems we always have leftovers and we don't have to throw them out now. Lots of things a microwave opens up (yep, even popcorn!)

I bring a little bathroom rug for the floor by my cot. A good chair goes without saying (but not a recliner!).
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Boot scraper to get the mud off.
When I was in a tent, I always took some welding rods to bend up for hangers .Wet gear, lanterns,etc. I still use a few in my camper.
Two old kerosene lanterns. They burn all night and you don't have to pump them. I set one outside the tent or camper for getting up at night.
Bungees cords. Many uses.
Snow shovel and broom.
Two wheel cart to lug hay bales around.
I have a small 900W generator I use it to charge my camper batteries and pump water out of 55gal barrels for stock. It doesn't have enough watts to run a microwave. I don't use it at night. Hate the guys that do. I think that is the rudest thing I can think of.
Walmart carries those small $1 LED flashlights, I keep 3-4 of them around.
Harbor Freight gives out the flat Led lights with a magnet on the back.Real handy if there is Forest Sevice john about. They stick on the top door hinge to give light at night or any place on the truck.
We keep one of square 5 gal water containers with a spigot on it and bottle of handsoap outside to wash hands with.
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 4]

The flag was in my picture I believe. We started that about 4 years ago. It can be a challenge to find a good place to hang it, but we always find a way to display appropriately. Has led to many introductions and great conversations along the way. People always seem to feel comfortable walking into a camp with the flag on display.

Other additions to our camp include the magnetic LED's saddlesore mentioned and a small rechargeable bluetooth speaker for the rare occasion I want some tunes while working on something in camp. The last few years we've had power available where we camp, so I started bringing my whole processing tote with me. 3 years in a row I've arrived home with fully processed and packaged deer/elk. What a great feeling to come home from hunting and just put the meat in the freezer! Mama appreciates that too.

If we end up moving camps in the future to somewhere that power isn't included, I think I'll need to look into a deep cycle battery setup. My Dad needs his c-pap for sleeping, otherwise NO ONE sleeps. I don't want to run a generator, so I think a couple deep cycle batteries to an inverter would ok.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I usually take two tents hunting. One is used for sleeping and living in and the other to keep gear together and dry. I have two propane heaters, and can sit around in the evening, have dinner and visit. My brother and I both have cots with a full tarp on the floor. We can cook inside or out and do depending on the weather. I have three lanterns. I rarely bring my generator. It is heavy and loud, and I am too cheap to buy another. I have two pairs of boots and enough clothes to go for a month without using a washing machine. In case it becomes necessary, I have laundry soap and a large bucket to wash clothes in. A clothes line is always set up. We take enough propane to last for well over a month of cooking, lighting and heat.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Base camp? Camp shower, without a doubt .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 03 28, 2020 •  [Post 7]

7mmfan wrote: My Dad needs his c-pap for sleeping, otherwise NO ONE sleeps. I don't want to run a generator, so I think a couple deep cycle batteries to an inverter would ok.

Many C-PAPs are 12 volt anyway. Im buying a 12 volt cord Way less draw on the battery
I use to use the heater hose on my C-pap, breathing warm air makes a difference

My wife was always a nice comfort :D when I tent/fly camped
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H