Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Havalon Piranta users

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Havalon Piranta users

Postby dapper » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello;
Are the blades easily changed in a safe manner without the use of a pliers? The reason I ask is that on their website they explain the process using a pliers. We hear a lot of good things about these knives, but since we backpack in, weight becomes as issue. So I was wondering if a guy would need a lightweight jewelers pliers or micro multi-tool to safety change the blades in the field. A nasty cut would be worse than carrying a few ounces more weight.

Thanks for any input

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Re: Havalon Piranta users

Postby Indian Summer » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I might sound like an old fart but safety first, especially when you're up in elk country. I've used a Piranta for years on elk and deer. Man alive there are no such thing as small nicks. If you cut yourself it'll take awhile to get the bleeding to stop and then to heal. Can you tell I've been there?

That said I'd suggest a small pair of pliers of ANY type. The smallest you can possibly get will work. A small keychain sized multi-tool or the little forceps fly fisherman use would be plenty. Yes you can do it without them but it's not easy in my opinion and like you said worth a couple ounces. Hopefully whatever tool you choose will have other uses to help justify carrying it.

I guess another point worth making is that the Piranta is way lighter than most knives. Also you don't need to carry a sharpening tool so it evens out a bit if not completely... and you always have a razor sharp knife.

Last .... putting them on is easier and no tool needed to be safe, though it helps. Taking them off is the issue. But... you can just press the blade sideways into a log rock etc and snap it off. if you do it right 99% of the time it will break at the thin spot at the base of the blade where the mounting slot begins. Then the rest comes off easily from the rear of the slot.

If you decide to get one you could always try it a few times at home where you can dial 911 to see if you think the tool is necessary. ;)
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby upacreek » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Mine is pretty new and I've only used it on a couple of animals. I was AMAZED at how sharp it was and how easy it made the skinning/quartering, but I was also really happy to have pliers to change the blade. I'm sure it can be done without, but seems like more risk than I want to take that far from the truck.
upacreek

Postby dotman » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I always have gloves with me so I just change blades with them not on my hands but used like a rag I guess, just be careful and you won't have issues.
dotman

Postby nobull » 02 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I always have the multi tool leathermen with me so I use the pliers for swapping blades. When I first started using the piranta I was always nicking myself while boning out. So I started carrying several pairs of latex gloves to combat the potential for cuts. After doing so the gloves proved to be pretty effective not just with cuts but with field meat care. Hands get dirty out there so it's nice to throw on a pair of gloves. Also, when your done, your hands aren't jammed with blood.
nobull

Postby Vanish » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Not directly related to using the havalon (which we use and love) but I recommend carrying a little tube of super glue just in case. This isn't for the knife, but for first aid. Super glue was originally developed as a liquid bandage, and it works REALLY well. It is also useful for fixing other mishaps!

EDIT: More on topic - I haven't had an issue changing blades without a second tool, just play it safe.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Huntrgathr » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I've only owned mine since Christmas and I was a little nervous about the blade change but, like Dotman mentioned, you can use a glove, hat. sock, or other piece of necessary gear and avoid carrying pliers. Although, I was surprised at how easily I broke a blade skinning a coyote a few ago. You definitely have to change the way you handle it compared to a 3/16" thick hunting knife - Requires more finesse for sure. The jury's still out for me on the Piranta...
Huntrgathr

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Only used my new Piranta once, to help my neighbor bone out his first blacktail deer (he was so proud). It was a huge spike (... 8-)...) that he got with his old school .308, lever action. He called me and asked if I could help him quarter it up so he could take it to a local meat processor.. No way I said... I used only one blade to bone out the whole critter and he vacuum sealed the various cuts of meat. When I was done, my leatherman popped the old blade out effortlessly and safely; now I'm now ready for my elk next fall. Good knife. Lightweight, extremely sharp and on the mark IMO. Agree with some of the other posters though... don't play around with the surgical sharpness of these things. The smallest leatherman or any other tool with a "sure grip" pliars type feature is the way to go.. They are very, very sharp. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Get yourself some Kevlar gloves. You'll be glad you did. You can ask your local meat cutter or butcher where to get them.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby dotman » 02 05, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Huntrgathr wrote:I've only owned mine since Christmas and I was a little nervous about the blade change but, like Dotman mentioned, you can use a glove, hat. sock, or other piece of necessary gear and avoid carrying pliers. Although, I was surprised at how easily I broke a blade skinning a coyote a few ago. You definitely have to change the way you handle it compared to a 3/16" thick hunting knife - Requires more finesse for sure. The jury's still out for me on the Piranta...

Yup changed out many blades this way, just take your time and it is safe.

Also it is a great steak knife :). Love this thing just don't pry with it and it'll treat you right.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I see no trouble at all changing the blades with fingers & common sense, piece of cake!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 02 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

ElkNut1 wrote:I see no trouble at all changing the blades with fingers & common sense, piece of cake!

ElkNut1

x2.

The only problem I've had with the piranta is leaving it on top of my jeep and driving away. Guess who's looking to buy a new piranta now? haha
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Chad44 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Freebird134 wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:I see no trouble at all changing the blades with fingers & common sense, piece of cake!

ElkNut1

x2.

The only problem I've had with the piranta is leaving it on top of my jeep and driving away. Guess who's looking to buy a new piranta now? haha

I agree. Been using havalon forever and never had an issue changing blades on it.
Chad44

First Name: Chad
Last Name: Davies

Postby Freebird134 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I think this has been said, but it's this simple:

Grab the back of the blade, pull it away from the handle, push forward. Done. If you can't handle that, stick with something you are comfortable with! Havalons are great, but not worth injury! Be safe!
Freebird134

Postby Freebird134 » 02 12, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Anyone have a lead on the cheapest place to buy a new Piranta (preferably Orange)? I seriously left mine on top of my jeep and lost it :(
Freebird134

Postby BowKill » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 16]

No need for pliers, just be careful. Awesome little tool.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby Ridgernr » 02 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I use the flap of my sheath folded over the back of the blade to grab and pull the blade off with my left hand and the back of my right hand thumbnail to push the blade up to disengage it. It works very well.
I still like to have a larger blade for camp chores and such. say 4 " or so.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy