Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New bows

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Re: New bows

Postby Swede » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have always liked the Matthews too except for the grip. I prefer a narrower grip. I suppose that is just personal preference. I like PSE as well as any. I have no issues with them. My past Martins have had too much hand shock for me to really like them, but were a good bow for the money. I have not shot one made for the past 5+ years, so that would be something I would just look out for. The Hoyt I purchased about 10 years ago was smooth, but heavy. It was fairly quiet and had very little hand shock. It was a good bow, but expensive.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ironhead22 » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you have the chance shoot some of the new Fred Bear bows pretty impressed with them, I shot the bowtech insanity liked it but stillup in the air would like to shoot it with sights just to feel how it balanced out, seamed a bit top right heavy
As far as the Elite shot felt great to me but your dead right about the break over at the wall. What did.you.think of the high.let off and letting the bow down?
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I love my 2009 Hoyt Alpha Max 32 and something incredible is gonna.have to come out before I give.it.up. It will have to weigh less than 4.0lbs, shoot above 340 IBO.and have a BH of at least 6.5" preferably 7". Oh and it will have to be smooth as ice and quiet.

That being said a bow that has caught my eye is a PSE (WHICH is weird because I'm a Hoyt guy) its the 2013 PSE Dream Season DNA. It weighs 3.7lbs, shoots 344-352 ibobit has a 6" BH. Has anyone tried this bow out?
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've got a '13 Rytera Nemesis 35 in the shop right now. Its a fantastic bow. Its smooth, pretty fast and a dream to shoot. Apparently there are not very many out there, on ArcheryTalk, there are only a handful of guys (out of literally thousands) that have a '13 Martin bow of any kind.

PS. If anyone in the Boise area wants to try one out, let me know. I don't know why Martin is so behind on production right now, but I'd be happy to let some one test drive it.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I just looked that bow up. Holy smokes that thing only weighs 3.8lbs. And its shorter brother the Alien is only 3.5lbs. That's lighter than Hoyts Carbon Matrix. I am currently stationed in upstate New York. I wish and can only dream about living near Boise otherwise I would take you up on that offer.
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 08, 2013 •  [Post 6]

LNGBOWFLYER wrote:I just looked that bow up. Holy smokes that thing only weighs 3.8lbs. And its shorter brother the Alien is only 3.5lbs. That's lighter than Hoyts Carbon Matrix. I am currently stationed in upstate New York. I wish and can only dream about living near Boise otherwise I would take you up on that offer.

If you ever make it out here, give me a holler, I'll be here. Happy to help.

I spent a little time in Saratoga Springs, never hunted up there, but I enjoyed the area.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Sounds like PSE still builds bows with hand shock. I'm not really actively shopping for a bow because I LOVE my Alpha Max. But if they build a bow that's as smooth, quiet, dead in the hand, weighs 3.9lbs like the AM32, same 7" BH, with an ATA of 32-35" but shoots 20fps faster I'll scoop that up in a heart beat. Bowtech accomplished this with their Invasion CPX. But it got discontinued this year.
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby ironhead22 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Theelkhunter wrote:
ironhead22 wrote:If you have the chance shoot some of the new Fred Bear bows pretty impressed with them, I shot the bowtech insanity liked it but stillup in the air would like to shoot it with sights just to feel how it balanced out, seamed a bit top right heavy
As far as the Elite shot felt great to me but your dead right about the break over at the wall. What did.you.think of the high.let off and letting the bow down?

I did not let the Elite down from full draw. I put 5 arrows through it and put it down. I could not stop myself from slamming the wall with full power. I got nervous and put it away.
As far as the Bear bows, no one sells them for here anymore. If they did, I would try one out.

If you shoot one again try it, the have 95% let-off, it felt to me like it didn't want to break back over and when it did it would ram my hand forward. It was a little distracting after I did. I guess I was just trying to figure out how it even shoots, LOL. Its a great bow overall definitely in the running for my next bow.
ironhead22

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Thompson

Postby Swede » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

My PSE bow has significantly less hand shock that my older Martin, but slightly more shock than the heavier, slower, Hoyt I owned. I was not convinced on the PSE until I had shot it a while. Now it seems a natural fit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

No new bow for me. Just found out I can put the new RKT cams on my Alpha Max. (I need new cams anyways) plus some new strings and putting a roller guard on it will make it basically a new bow.
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby cnelk » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I bought a new bow 3 months ago.
The biggest determining factor in my selection was BUDGET.
I looked at and shot different bows for over the course of a year.
Elilte / Mathews / Bowtech / PSE

Since I had dedicated ~$600 for this purchase, there was NO WAY that a new Elite or Mathews were going to be part of this.

The Bowtech and PSE models were VERY similar. Both met the budget criteria.
I have not ever had an issue with my previous PSE bows or their customer service.

PSE got the nod.

All I know is my new PSE 'Drive' is a great bow.
No hand shock - perfect axle to axle length for my style of hunting
And I can take the few hundred dollars in savings and buy more stuff... :)

Cant wait to shoot my next elk with it
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ctdad » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 12]

LNGBOWFLYER wrote:No new bow for me. Just found out I can put the new RKT cams on my Alpha Max. (I need new cams anyways) plus some new strings and putting a roller guard on it will make it basically a new bow.

I've never heard someone say they needed new cams. I'm curious what makes you say that? Are your old Cams damaged?
ctdad

New bows

Postby slim9300 » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Sounds like you would really like the new Experience based on what you are looking for.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 14]

ctdad wrote:
LNGBOWFLYER wrote:No new bow for me. Just found out I can put the new RKT cams on my Alpha Max. (I need new cams anyways) plus some new strings and putting a roller guard on it will make it basically a new bow.

I've never heard someone say they needed new cams. I'm curious what makes you say that? Are your old Cams damaged?

Because I have the #3 cams which is for a DL between 28-30". When I bought it in 2009 I was fairly new to bow hunting and thought I was a 28" DL. I am actually a 26.5-27" DL. I shoot my current set up fine but I know my stance is wider than I would like and I know I can gain more accuracy with a correct DL. So I need #2 cams so I can adjust my bow for the correct DL.

slim9300 wrote:Sounds like you would really like the new Experience based on what you are looking for.

I would love the Experience but its also heavier than I would like. I think the Invasion had everything I wanted in a bow. Then Bowtech changed it. But I have found I can make my Alpha Max into my idea of a near perfect bow just by getting new cams for it. It'll bump up the speed 10-15 fps for the cost of about $120.
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby ctdad » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 15]

The speed gained from new cam will be offset by shortening draw length, but shooting correct draw length is much more important.
ctdad

Postby bowhunterty » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Check out Prime bows from G5. Bought a Shift LR and it's a great. especially at longer yardages. I was alongtime Mathews shooter but switched after I found thr Primes. They have a few new ones this year. Shoot one. The Shift weighs about 3.8 lbs. They also have a great warranty and they will replace your strings every two years for free. After 6 months you also get a free bow tune up.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 17]

ctdad wrote:The speed gained from new cam will be offset by shortening draw length, but shooting correct draw length is much more important.

Yes I anticipate this but instead of losing 10fps due to the draw length change. I will lose 10 but then gain about 12. So it'll he a wash as far as velocity goes. Maybe a slight increase of velocity. But I will have smoother more efficient cams and like you mentioned more importantly I'll he more accurate due to using the correct draw length. Which in the end is what I care about most.
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby bowhunterty » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Theelkhunter where do you live. Only know of Ranch and Home in Tri-cities, WA and belielieve a shop in Boise area carrys them.
bowhunterty

First Name: Ty
Last Name: Reed

Postby BowKill » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 19]

I used to change up bows a lot, but currently I'm stuck on my Hoyt Carbon Matrix. I bought one in 2010 and shot it for two seasons, sold it and bought the 2012 Hoyt Vector Turbo. The Turbo was a great bow but I found myself missing my Matrix. Now the Turbo is gone and I've got another Matrix.
BowKill

First Name: Wes

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I shot the turbo as well but 6 inch brace height bows scare me especially in hunting situations. I am still shooting my 2010 carbon matrix for elk hunting. I just recently got a monster chill by Mathews. To me, it pulls very smooth and holds great at the back wall, it doesn't try to yank your shoulder out of socket when you ease down from full draw which is great to me. Just my opinion guys.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker