Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Alpha Max upgrades project!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Alpha Max upgrades project!

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Long story short I love my Alpha Max 32 and can't really see me parting ways with it any time soon. I however need to swap out the came for it because my DL is shorter than what the bow can adjust to. Thus I need new cams. I have been unable to find any XTR came. Well I came across some guys who are putting Hoyts new RKT cams on Alpha Maxs and not only are they smoother but also shoot about 8fps faster as well.

So this will be my project. I'm going to buy some new RKT cams, buy some new strings and cables from Park N Sons and maybe even put on a roller guard to replace the cable slide currently on it. This will be a pre-deployment/birthday present to myself :)

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1857882&page=2&highlight=rkt.cam+swap
LNGBOWFLYER

Location: Ellensburg, WA: But currently stationed at FT. Drum, NY
First Name: Aaron
Last Name: Blanchard

Re: Alpha Max upgrades project!

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I shoot the AlphaMax 32 with #2 cams at 27 1/2" -- This is the smoothest bow I've shot, hard to believe it can get smoother? (grin) It's not a real fast bow but it does very well. I've shot it through the chrono many times with various wt arrows, my present hunting arrow at 430grn runs 268 at 65#, it's good enough & I love the bow!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I love my Alpha Max and can't see me giving this bow up anytime soon. I need new cams because my correct draw length is 27" and my #3 cams only allow me to get down to 28". So I need new cams regardless. I have tried in vain to find XTR cams for sale. There are a ton of RKT cams for sale though. Until now I didn't think that the RKT cams would work in an Alpha Max but apparantly people are doing it successfully.

I agree my Alpha Max is as smooth as any bow I have shot including the newer ones. But apparantly the new RKT cams are smoother, have a higher % of let off and have a much better valley and wall. Not to mention the gain of 8fps.

Elknut quick question. What is your arrow set up? How much FOC are you running?
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Last years arrow was an Easton Axis .340 27" long with a standard aluminum insert & 125grn Viper Trick. I don't know what the FOC is but it was enough. (grin) I do like wt up front on some setups but don't find it nearly as important once bows get up in the 245fps & faster with a well suited arrow wt for the poundage drawn. Wt up front is a good thing but there is a balance needed, I'm more concerned with it on my Trad setups. This years arrow is am FMJ .400 27" 125 Viper Trick at 440grn, it will be an elk thumper.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Great minds must think alike. I also am shooting an Easton 340 axis with aluminum insert and a 125 grain Slick Trick. But it was a standard not the Viper. I also had a wrap on the back for a total of 435 grains. They flew really well but only had about 12.22% of FOC. I read your test comparing different weights and FOC etc. And was intrigued if I needed more FOC. Guess if they fly well I won't less with putting in the 50grain Brass Insert. It's hard because I like to tinker with stuff. Found a good calculator that does FOC.

http://www.goldtip.com/calculators.aspx
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Your real problem, Lngbowflyer, is that you spend too much time on AT. There is a ridiculous amount of information over there. Guys always tinkering, modifying and doing other various things that will make a guy think. I can't even tell you how many projects and such that I've got bookmarked for when I have some time.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby ElkNut1 » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Sounds like a good setup, most likely no need to change.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Femoral the only reason I found that thread is because I googled if RKT cams would work. Like I've said I've been trying to find XTR cams for my AM32 and no dice. Lots of RKT cams for sale. This should workout pretty nice. I also don't have time to do this. That's what a pro shop is for :)
LNGBOWFLYER

Postby dotman » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I had a Turbohawk which is exactly the same in limbs and cams, riser is only diff. Well I used to think that was the smoothes draw until I upgraded to the CE RKT, the RKT cams are much smother then the Fuel cams.

This is imo the best option other then getting a new bow, also most economical. Let us know what you think when the conversion is done.
dotman

Postby FemoralArchery » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Good, stay off of that site. All it leads to is more ideas than you have time or money for(at least it does for me).
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby LNGBOWFLYER » 02 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Yeah I've noticed the drama. I am registered on that site so I can peruse their MASSIVE classifieds.
LNGBOWFLYER