Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Archery Practice Time?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Archery Practice Time?

Postby cnelk » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

How long do you typically practice with your bow?
Or do you shoot a certain amount of arrows and call it?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Archery Practice Time?

Postby elkmtngear » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Starting in early Spring, I usually shoot around a dozen arrows in the evening from different lanes and yardages, and call it good.

I don't think it is near enough.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby buglmin » 02 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I try to shoot a half hour before work, then after work i shoot for a bit. After dinner and dishes, I put on my ipod and shoot indoors working on form. I try to shoot as close to a 100 arrows a day. Once the snow melts, I'll be able to walk my 3D course and shoot varies distances several hours a day. Love shooting my bows, and watching the firenocs...
buglmin

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm pathetic :roll: I enjoy shooting my bow but do not really start until April or so. From April on, I shoot 3-4 times per week, probably 30 or 40 arrows at various distances up through July or so. I shoot almost every evening in August up till I leave for hunting season. I should practice/shoot much more for sure.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Broken arrow » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

When it's cold out I shoot a couple times a week (after season is over). When it warms up I shoot everyday, how long I shoot is based on focus. As long as I feel like my heads in it 100% I keep shooting once I begin to lose focus or get fatigued I call it good. Some days that might be 50 arrows some just 2 or 3. As the season gets closer late July early August I get away from form shooting and start getting crazy shooting off my deck kneeling crouched down etc. only shoot one arrow at a time and again only practice till my heads not in it any more. I shoot traditional by the way. I think that if a person can they should go out every morning and shoot just one shot that is really the arrow that counts!
Broken arrow

Postby Lefty » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Im out for a while,.. rotator cuff sugurey last week
I had been shootng 4-60 arrrows a day 3-4 times a day in the summer

Ill turn the bow dow to 42lb and start as soon as I can again
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby cnelk » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I shoot as much as I can.
I can shoot up to 65yds in my yard.
And with a few bows kicking around, its always a good way to spend a morning, afternoon or evening.

I become addicted to shooting different distances, and styles. Kinda like a personal vendetta between me and the bow.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bowpackerrob » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I try to about twice a day. The first session is usally right after work or at lunch if I am at home, about 20 to 30 arrows. The second session is always right after I run, only about 20 arrows. Quality sessions in my opinion, not how many I can shoot.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby LckyTylr » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I couldn't agree with Broken Arrow more. Spot on.

I think that shooting twice a day is ideal . . . providing that during one of those sessions, you allow yourself only one arrow. You need to mentally convince yourself that THAT one arrow is all that matters. I got to the point one year that if my ONE arrow was a poor shot or if I had poor form . . . I'd actually be a grumpy bear all day, kicking myself for making a poor shot.

Think about it, you get one shot at a bull. If you mess it up, you will be kicking yourself for a year . . . or longer if you wound an animal and never recover it.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Broken arrow » 02 17, 2013 •  [Post 10]

If you really want to improve go out during a new moon with just enough light to see your pins and target with sights or just your target instinctive( safety first of course). And you will be amazed at how well u shoot. Your focus is all about the spot you want to hit. 1 session in the dark is worth 10 in day light. Don't believe me try it!
Broken arrow

Postby Vanish » 02 18, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Its a 45 minute drive for me to get to the range, or a ten minute drive to shoot in a local open space that is just asking for someone to call the cops on me. Sooooo .... I don't really shoot until June.

Will be buying a house this summer, so it should be much more often after that!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Sean_TeamNWHunting » 02 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

For me, it is not how many arrows I shoot, but how many separate times I pick up the bow and shoot before the season starts. This best emulates for me a hunting situation where an animal suddenly presents itself and I must make the initial shot count.
Sean_TeamNWHunting

First Name: Sean
Last Name: Gallagher

Postby scrubs » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I shoot atleast once a day, some days it is several times. With the weather we have this time of year, most of my shooting is done in my house concentrating on my form and release. When the weather improves, I shoot outdoors at work or I will take my portable target to some state land near by.
scrubs

First Name: Brett

Postby otcWill » 03 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I guess I can't call it practice since archery is my absolute passion in life. I shoot about 100-150 arrows a session/ 3days a week. Yes, I go through quite a few strings. I am lucky enough to belong to an awesome private 3d range only a couple miles from my house and I find it hard to stay away!
otcWill

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I shoot 5-10 arrows a day

I do this for a few reasons...

You generally only get 1-2 shots on your animal when hunting
The 1st shot needs to be my best, not the 30th
Mitigates bad form and habits

Now, where this comes to fight me a bit is during 3D tourneys, as they are 32 targets, but the time is several hours and my bow drawing stamina may suffer some with a 78lb bow.
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby wideangle » 03 04, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I try and shoot my longbows several times per week. I do not shoot groups. I move a random distance each time I shoot.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby G Posik » 03 05, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I shoot 5-6 days a week. Shooting a longbow or recurve is fun and I really enjoy shooting. I shoot groups once in a while, not very often. I have a couple of different targets in the yard and use different distance and angles. I always start with a first shot challenge every day. Pic some type of shot and make your best attempt to hit or just miss (If that is the intent). You only get one shot as that is what counts, the one shot. Now after that I will sling 40-80 arrows.

Glenn
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Archery Practice Time?

Postby Moose Man » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 18]

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362557549.026282.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362557549.026282.jpg (75.01 KiB) Viewed 7735 times

Negotiated a bit with the lady and now I can shoot morning and night, without driving to the range.
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby WindedBowhunter » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Mooseman, I am not sure if that is more creative or ingenious! My lady would not allow arrows to flying anywhere in our house! :)
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby ORelksniper » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 20]

C'mon, Moose Man, own up. You did that when the boss was gone, didn't you?
ORelksniper

Archery Practice Time?

Postby Moose Man » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 21]

sniper wrote:C'mon, Moose Man, own up. You did that when the boss was gone, didn't you?

Haha, no, she is a fairly tolerant. I guess it helps that she shoots a bow on occasion. She tried the "range" last night and put a hole in a bed sheet with her first arrow.. Got to say, I'm really fortunate. Just received my calling kit from elknut so well see how well she fairs with bugles and cow talk practice..
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby ORelksniper » 03 06, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Good luck, man. Sounds like you got a keeper. Maybe you should get her a bigger target, though.
ORelksniper

Postby elkaholic » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 23]

How far are most of your shooting? My first shot is usually at my max killing range and then I move back from there. I'm looking forward to getting two more pins so that I can practice out to 80 yards.

If I can't get out to the range I do some form shooting at 3 yards or so to burn the mechanics in.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Indian Summer » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Um.. lol, what's on the other side of the wall? Any pipes in there? I don't see evidence of any misses. I guess a towel with a hole in it works just as good. That's funny.

I only shoot in the spring. I almost hate to admit it but it's true. I have had a bow since I was 5 years old. Bought a compound when they first invented the things. To me it's like riding a bike really. The main reason I shoot is to loosen and build the couple muscles that I don't use except for shooting. But I'm very active. Hardly every sit around inside and don't push a ballpoint pen for a living. I guess it comes down to my seasonal schedule. I'm busy all summer. REALLY busy in the fall. Hunting all winter until the end of February. Not interested in shooting in the winter and don't shoot indoors. I don't do much indoors. So when it warm up and I start thinking spring turkey and bear I go out and shoot. It also cures cabin fever as by then I'm interested in doing anything outside. After a few arrows I say yep.... still remember how to do that.

This year I put up a ladder stand. it's about 23 feet high to where I shoot. I like to practice not shooting on flat ground. I also like to shoot sitting some. The other thing I shoot to do is hit bullseyes with broadheads because if your bow does that you know everything is still in tune. Then it's time to go ride the Harley until hunting season.

When I do shoot I have no set time or number of arrows. Everyone has a flyer or 2. Like a golfer they frustrate us. I shoot 3 arrows at a time until I get tired or bored and then stop when I shoot all 3 right on the money. If I have a flyer I'll shoot again even if my muscles are starting to fatigue.... until I get 3 perfect ones at 35 yards then I quit on a good note.

Yeah... I guess it's safe to say I'm not a shooting junky. But there was a day when I was. I was younger and not as busy then though. I hunted less too. Wouldn't trade that!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby stykbow67 » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 25]

I shoot 5-6 times a week and like most of the other trad shooters I only shoot 1 arrow and then move to a different angle and distance. I'm fortunate enough to live on an acreage so I've set up a 8 target 3d course with some 16oz. pop bottles stuffed with plastic sacks hanging from tree limbs thrown in to shoot blunts at.

Steve
stykbow67

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Ehlers

Postby wideangle » 06 13, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I shoot longbows so I can practice in my backyard (big lot).
I typically shoot one arrow then move and shoot another. I don't try to shoot groups.
At one time I did shoot groups from a static position and still do if I am tuning.
However, after buying Rick Welch's video (The Accuracy Factory) on traditional shooting I have changed my style.

"How far is that? Don't know, don't care!"
wideangle

First Name: Joseph